St John's Wort for Depression

Discussion in 'Support' started by mikeinOz, Oct 31, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. mikeinOz

mikeinOz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hey everyone,

I've had my pretty mild T for 13 years now, habituated several times, often when I'm stressed or anxious i will 'unhabituate', and then start 'the loop' of obsessing and listening for it and it getting louder etc. This time it was triggered by a severe sinus infection with fluid behind my ears which gave me a 10x boost in my usual tone. That has mostly gone now but the noise level is amplified. It may go back down, it may not. However I think most of the increased volume is due to my anxiety/stress/worry over the noise and I think I'm getting depressed.

At each of my previous episodes, I've always had to go on SSRI medication to treat the depression and then slowly the T fades into the background once I'm no longer obsessing over it (surprise!). However this time I'm a little paranoid about going back on Citalopram as obviously an increase in tinnitus is a rare side effect. Since I'd rather not battle with my brain any more than I currently am, I was wondering if people had taken St John's Wort ? I've read it should not increase tinnitus. I'm not wondering if it reduced the tinnitus, but rather did people find it helped their depression and most importantly didn't spike your T ? I need to break this cycle as my volume won't go down until I do!

Thanks
      Mike

2. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      Ive read good things on this forum about 5htp ... dont know much about st j wort sorry

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @mikeinOz
      I have been taking St John's Wort for many years and it doesn't increase tinnitus. It takes about 3 months to fully build up in the body. It can be a very good alternative to prescription antidepressant.
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I've read up some studies and it's about as effective as your typical SSRI for mild to moderate depression.
      There isn't much data on T and St John's Wort so that's a good thing I suppose.

5. AuntSally

AuntSally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Does anyone take st johns wort? I am thinking of trying this for a while. I hear it can be an effective mood enhancer and is very safe.