Standing at the gates of tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Darren Knight, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Darren,

That is great news! It sounds like you've found a very good doctor. and I'm so glad to hear you're doing better. Those hearing aids are a godsend. Maybe you'll be able to find a smaller hearing aid with your doctor's guidance

Thanks for the tip about the meteor shower!!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Really really nice to hear good news from you, @Darren Knight! I have to say your positive attitude it's a big help for me as for everybody here around. What a pity, due to the light pollution in Rome I'll not watch the meteor shower...
      Don't forget to keep updated, friend

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darren Knight
      Ape-like

Darren Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2013
      Then you really need to move mate ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Thank you Darren, no i havn´t seen anyone yet, next friday i have an appointment with an ENT, i need some meds just to help me cope... and i need some proper ear plugs, i´ll hopefully get some support, it´s much needed, i´ve been alone this whole time as my husband works overseas.

5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      You've made some great strides here since you've joined here Darren, congrats! Hope thing continue to improve for you! :D

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darren Knight
      Ape-like

Darren Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2013
      The early days were the worst for me, but it has become a lot better as time has passed. The volume level was around a 10 for the 1st 2 months, down to a 2 or 3 after 5 months. The spikes started getting longer apart as well. I do drink a lot of camomile tea, try and keep on a low salt diet, spend a lot of time outside or in a room that doesn't have heavy carpets or lots of soft furniture, as this amplifies the sound. I take herbal sleeping tablets if I'm having a spike, I eat plenty of fish and take Betahistine 24mg twice a day. The aid is working well and sleep with a sound pillow and rain for white noise. The brain is a wonderful tool and you will learn to shut out the noise over time, especially when you are relaxed or concentrating on something you enjoy. Stay busy and positive and you will find yourself healing over time. But please don't compare 1 day to the last. It doesn't happen over night and if you expect that, you will become anxious. Try something that helps you relax, like yoga or walking. Take up a hobby like photography, that gets you outside and makes you concentrate. Let the months unravel and soon you will be on the right path.

Take care

Darren

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darren Knight
      Ape-like

Darren Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2013
      Thanks mate,

It's been hard at times, but you and the forum have been a great comfort. The more you learn the more you know how to cope. I always try and stay busy, plus I do a lot of what I enjoy. Having said said that, I got up a 1am to watch the meteor shower, but with the moon over 80% illuminated the sky is to bright to see them. Never mind, I'm Going back to bed now.

Take care

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane

Great news Darren. Hearing aids work really well for some people. So glad u r one of them!

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darren Knight
      Ape-like

Darren Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2013
      The quality of your thinking determines the quality of your life. - A.R. Bernard

Good night all

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Darren Knight
      Ape-like

Darren Knight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2013
      Hi Guys,

hope you all had a good Christmas. I don't post as often as I used to, because T can fluctuate so much from one day to the next. I'm trying to keep my posts 2-4 weeks apart to make sure that what I'm saying is correct. I've had T for 5 months now, with the 1st 3 months being horrendous. Although I stayed positive through them awful months I was concerned my stamina would fade and I would one day crack. However, the last 2 months have been much better. The volume level has seriously decreased along with a tone change. I have a hearing aid, but I'm also using it less and less. I don't have to sleep with white noise now, but I do as I enjoy the sound. So this is really a post for scared newbies, that read posts of doom and gloom and think their T will never improve. Hang on in there! It may take a while ( longer or shorter than me) but it will improve. I'm not on any strict diet anymore, although I now enjoy eating healthy food. I only take Betahistine as proscribed by my ENT to help with my Hydrops. I don't drink lager, but do drink Guinness or John Smith (both flat and non fizzy) I drink caffeine but only if someone offers it to me. I take supplements, but only when I remember :( I hope this helps someone who is going through a rough time and I wish you well.

Clear Skies and lots of love

Darren

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I'm glad you're doing so well, @Darren Knight. Your positive attitude must contribute to your overall well being. Thank you for sharing. :)