Stapedius/Tensor Tympani Spasming?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ~elizabeth~, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ~elizabeth~

~elizabeth~ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Conductive hearing loss in r.ear, ? L.ear
      I'm convinced now that the 'fog horn' noise in my one good ear is something to do with stapedius dysfunction/spasm. The noise is so loud it's effectively making me deaf in my good ear, as at times it blocks quieter sound and the sensation something touching/buzzing against the ear drum is very strong.

At first I thought it was wax, but the canal is completely free of it; the eustachian tube is open now, and no better after many weeks using steroid spray, exercises, but it makes no difference. Lying in bed at night with the radio on, I've come to realise that the reason the tone is variable has to do with the way the ear is dealing with sound. Continuous music blocks it, but in the pauses between speech it returns, giving a horrible sensation of anticipation of the next loud buzz. I'm sure it is also happening in the deaf ear, as I am getting the insect buzzing sensation, and also a much fainter rumbling tone even when my good ear isn't performing.

It's also playing some curious tricks on my hearing, my own voice sounds very muffled, as can that of my husband when he's close by, yet things like the radio/crowd noise some distance away sounds much louder, so that it's impossible to talk at times unless there is silence (when of course the 'fog horn' noise is worse).

I did see audiology recently, they did all the tests and said my good hear was still in the normal range, and poo-pooed me when I said I was experiencing new hearing issues, and all the usual stuff about tinnitus (I already have spectacular 'normal' tinnitus (both pulsatile and white noise/whistling kind), and this new kind is much more intrusive.

What is the procedure for getting 'physical tinnitus' issues diagnosed and treated? Is the problem predictive of developing middle ear in my remaining 'good' ear. My patience has worn very thin with it all now. I should add that it's all very difficult as I can't tolerate headphones due to neuropathy in my skin around my face/ears, and my husband is a very light sleeper (who suffers restless leg in response to the slightest noise at night, and we don't have either the desire or house space to sleep separately anyway).

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      Hey @~elizabeth~ . I'm interested in this condition too, i am afraid i might have it. I suspect i got mine from a pro-convulsant medication. Just wanted to tell you good luck and If you go to an audiologist - please update us.
      :)

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      White noise - whistling with TTTS can be caused from TMJ and/or C1/C2 cervical problems. C1 and C2 out of alignment. This will place pressure to nerves of the middle ear The other muscle - stapedius - the 7th nerve, not the 5th. One reference source: Do I Have Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      The middle muscles can definitely vibrate and cause a sound. I suffer from this. It’s humming away right now somewhere below 100hz. It’s part of tensor tympani syndrome or acoustic shock disorder. Even after a year it still happens, but can go into remission for up to a week.
      The trigeminal nerve somehow becomes sensitised or activated and it triggers it. When it is bad the whole tensor muscle cramps which causes low end conductive hearing loss due to sound not adequately going into the cochlea. The sound changes to somewhere below 1000hz when it’s bad.

It freaked me out at first, thinking it was hearing loss. But since realising it isn’t, I’ve gotten used to it. It becomes very uncomfortable to hear sounds. It’s like things sound wrong and makes my ears sensitive, maybe it amplifies H.

Only things that can help are surgery to cut the muscle or maybe in time it will dimish. Mine does seem to have weakened somewhat and no longer stays cramped for days. Usually up to a day which it then randomly releases and all is back to normal T.

I wouldn’t get surgery as ENTs are absolutely rubbish and will probably cause worse things to happen (knowing my luck), as they have to cut open the ear drum to access the middle ear.

Anyway maybe yours will go away. It most definitely happens and only some end up chronic like me.

5. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      I can feel right ear drum vibrating every night with a very low frequency. This is completely different to my usual high frequency tinnitus.

It started after one of my low level laser therapy sessions. It’s the fourth day/night I notice it. It’s driving me insane