Started My New Job on Monday

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Apr 22, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Felt fantastic, until I had to use a phone today. It was really odd. In my old job, I could use the phone fine, but for some reason, whenever I spoke on this new phone, it's as if my voice was being amplified 10 X in my ear. It was excruciatingly loud. I can't even explain it! Does anyone have any similar experiences? After that my H went quite bad again. I'm too scared to use the phone in case of damage, but I have a 3 month probation period so I have to impress. :( I'm too scared to tell them about my T too.

Apart from that though, It's really taken my mind off it and made me feel so much more positive. I really think a key part of habituating is getting back to work and working hard, as the harder you work, the less you focus on the T. When I first got T, I stayed at home, and that was the worst thing I could have done! By going to work, my T only bothers me at night (which can still be a problem) but at least I'm getting some break where my mind isn't focusing on it 24/7. My H is also hit and miss now, and often goes away completely.

I still have a LONG way to being habituated, as it was only last week I was panicking so much, but I really think starting this new job and being more positive is a step in the right direction.

2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @geg1992 , there is usually a volume control on the phone. When I answer the phone I do not press it on my ear. I keep if back and a little below until I know the volume.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Hey Ken,

Yeah, it wasn't the volume of the phone, the other person talking I could barely hear I had it that quiet, it was purely my voice!

4. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @geg1992 Is it not possible to use a speakerphone for you?