Still Trying to Habituate

Discussion in 'Support' started by samxoo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. samxoo
      Frustrated

samxoo Member

Hello people, Im a 22 years old and i got T last november (7 months or so).
      i was slowly learning to live with it but recently i caught a flu and i can feel im becoming more and more conscious and obssessed about my T. im going through an exam and im finding it really difficult to concentrate and study. i feel like im going back to where i was when it all started. please does anyone has any advice for me?

i decided to post my feelings here because i know you people would understant what im going through better than anyone else.

thank you :)

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Depending on the original cause of your tinnitus and on where you are based, I would consider trying to enroll in the AM101 trial:

www.tinnitus-study.info

I advise you to seriously consider the above opportunity; it is unique and could well be a good chance to significantly improve your tinnitus severity.

Sometimes a flu can worsen tinnitus either termporarily or permanently. Only time can tell which is the case with you.

Melatonin 6mg, ½ hour before bedtime is good for sleep management.

Seeing an ENT at some point - if you haven't already - might also be a good idea.

My advice.

3. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @samxoo. Yeah, we definitely understand how you feel. I've recently had some setbacks on my path to habituation as well. My advice, don't "try" to ignore it. Just stop fighting it altogether and let it do its thing. Seems counterintuitive, but that's when I've had the most success. I know it's not easy. Hang in there

4. Sailor101

Sailor101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      For me I don't know if it has gotten better or I just got used to it.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      7 months is still relatively short time for people who somehow still consider T as an issue. At 7 months I was still taking meds to cope. So don't fight your T. Accept it being a part of your life, at least right now. Resistance to something we cannot control will create stress and the brain will consider T a threat and hence it will zoom in & monitor T all the time. So relax and give it time. Take care.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      samxoo
      Frustrated

samxoo Member

since the tinitus is here, im experiencing a sort of constant anxiety. i have lost interest in most of the things.. i dont know how im going to live and im afraid of so many things.. at night i become a lil ok coz i know i will sleep soon.. but the mornings i would wake up crying and keep in bresking down all day long.. my friends and family are here but nothings seems to reassure me.. i feel desperate and i wish for a life :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      samxoo
      Frustrated

samxoo Member

can we ever be happy again without these noises bothering us?

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Your are experiencing symptoms of high anxiety/depression. You are now functioning/thinking under the control of the limbic system in fight or flight mode, which usually makes things worse than it is. Please be patient with yourself and your current condition. Your reaction is typical and quite normal of newer T sufferer. You should read the success stories in this forum (and Yuku tinnitus support forum too) and you will know that most people go through similar process in the initial stage. The newness of the sensation plus the newness of the experience frighten people and since there seems no end to the suffering, people go through stressful and emotional response as you are now. But over time, the brain will be more used to the condition, and with the willingness to accept T to a certain degree (by learning from others' experiences), and with the other distractions of life or T treatments (such as TRT, CBT etc), the brain will slowly harden or get used to this ringing. Thus begins the recovery and habituation. It takes time and patience. So the best thing you can do for yourself is get some meds for your anxiety/depression from your doctors. Stay around the forum and post about your feeling (the ranting process) so you will have less build up of stress & anxiety.

Relax. T is not an end game. I went through a lot worse symptoms of ultra high pitch T and severe hyperacusis plus relentless anxiety & panic attacks with their own horrible symptoms. I thought it must be the end game of life to live like that. I had to use meds to survive each long, dark day. Severe hyperacusis even limited me to stay home. I was lonely, frightened, depressed, desperate & sleepless. I never thought I could recover from that. But never say never. Today I am back to normal living an absolutely beautiful and enjoyable life. So don't give up and have hope you can too in time. Be patient. God bless.

Here is the link to my success story post. And while you are there in the Success Story section, you may as well read up the success stories of others to give yourself some hope:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...how-i-recover-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

• Friendly Friendly x 1