Strange Hearing Distortion/Dysacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathan McAlum, Jun 7, 2019.

1. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      Do you recall how long the distortions lasted before you started to see improvement? And how long before they disappeared entirely? That’s wonderful that it resolved for you! Gives me some more hope that myself and others will see similar results.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Normal dosage, meaning what is normally recommended. (so just follow the dosage on the box of pills you are taking).

I did see it go away with a weird sound from my kitchen, the sound my refrigirator made + some beeps. White noise trigger my tinnitus so I can't recommend it. And now I sleep in complete silence, and it's okay for me.

3. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hard to say, maybe 1 month? It all disappeared after this period where I was sleeping downstairs because of the heat of summer, next to my noisy kitchen, and I remember before or after, taking magnesium totally improved it.

I have had tinnitus for 1 year now, and magnesium + vitamin b is the only thing I am 100% sure have a good effect.

I tried several supplements, but didn't notice enough change from them.

4. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      I get this too, and it's really loud if I set my fan to medium, so I keep it at low or high. Dryer, vents, fridges and some music cause a loud whistle or humming. It's louder then the source sound, especially the dryer, I've had it for a few years and it is quiet, but now I hear a really loud humming coming from my dryer, so annoying.

Some noise that come from a distant can also have a beep or boop sound. I'm over 7 months in and it hasn't really got any better. I should mention that I could still hear the source sound but it's definitely put to the background by this distortion. What kind of damage does this indicate. HC? Nerves? Both? I've read people get better hearing and lots of things in general get better with time, even beyond 1 year. I hope I'm a fortunate one.

5. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

Have had tinnitus for about two months now. I am so happy (use this term loosely) to have found out that what I've been experiencing has a name somewhat, and that I'm not alone in this.

I've noticed about 3 weeks ago now that the following noises
      - The fan in my bathroom
      - The fan I use for masking (small desk fan)
      - My car on the freeway
      - The sound of a freeway in a distance
      - Fans at grocery stores (like the fridge section and whatnot)
      - Certain music
      - Blow dryers

Emit this annoying whining/droning sound. I know it's external because if I plug my ears or turn it off, the additional noise goes away. I wouldn't call it reactive tinnitus because it's not my usual tinnitus sound and it doesn't necessarily get louder with noise, the extra noise just pops up out of nowhere.

It appears in both ears and is worse some days than others.
      It's honestly more annoying than my usual tinnitus at this point. I was sitting in my car listening to music today (quietly) and had to turn it off because the noise was literally irritating me so much.

I feel like it's been ongoing for several weeks now and it's been driving me insane.
      I did feel like/kind of still feel like I have some hyperacusis - still not sure if it's my anxiety driving it or not - but I wonder if they're linked?

Anyways, just wanted to post here to let people know there is another person who is part of the club. The internet doesn't seem to have much info on this topic.

6. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      You are experiencing dysacusis (sound distortion). And it is indeed a form of hyperacusis (sound sensitivity).

7. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there. Thanks for replying. I think I developed my hyperacusis about 3 weeks or so into having tinnitus. I was at home and my dad’s voice sounded SO loud at breakfast, and he’s not a loud person. Do you think the dysacusis will resolve with time, as hyperacusis does as well?

Any advice?

I’ve always had pretty sensitive ears I think. I remember a day at work where I was listening to a podcast with headphones and it was starting to irritate my ears. No pain, I just couldn’t tolerate it for some reason. I’m also someone who has bad anxiety in general, so I wonder if that’s exasperating the hyperacusis and dysacusis.

Also want to add that I spent a lot of time wearing noise cancelling headphones, and slept with ear plugs. Could those things add to the development of hyperacusis?

I gave up both 2 months ago when I developed tinnitus.

8. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      They should. You'll just need to be careful around loud sounds to not reaggravate it. Rule I follow for now is anything over 75db, wear ear plugs. Anything over 85db, leave. You should not be there.

Anxiety does play a role, but it's not everything. Reducing anxiety will help a lot, but you will also need time to heal.

If you have money, could try low level laser therapy or hyperbaric oxygen therapy to speed up the healing. Though the efficacy of both is still up for debate.

I wouldn't think wearing earplugs at night would play much of a role, but I used to do the same before getting tinnitus, so who knows? Maybe. I actually sometimes wear them again at night, because wearing them actually causes my tinnitus to lower since I now have reactive tinnitus. But maybe abstaining would be better for me in the long run.

9. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Even with earplugs? What about random street noise? That stuff shouldn’t hurt me if it’s not a long exposure right? I live in a noisy place.

10. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      I had hyperacusis resolve about 6 months or so ago. I still experience ringing, humming, and beeps from some noise sources. There's more to it than just hyperacusis. Although you are right in that when I had hyperacusis I did suffer from dysacusis. Hopefully this resolves for Yuuls.

11. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      Street noise is fine. It is under 80db. Unless someone honks their horn near you or sirens go by. In which case just cover your ears. Or if there is loud construction, wear ear plugs

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Hotspur2931

Hotspur2931 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/flu
      I had almost EXACTLY this. My T is a static but certain noises would get overlaid by a high tone. The wind in the trees was particularly bad, but at its worst I would get it with the kettle, dishwasher, washing machine, extractor fans, regular fans, food frying in the pan, my own pee in the toilet, running water, sound of my feet crunching on the grass, etc etc.

I was really overwhelmed and trying to find a word for it or a diagnosis, and someone said to me, "I think you're hypervigilant and have developed sound sensitivity". That really helped me. I could see that T had made me so jumpy and so hyperaware of every little sound.

I decided to just let go of it and try to ignore. I kept busy and surrounded myself with a variety of sounds so I wasn't fixated on any one sound. After that it calmed down pretty quickly. I kept saying to myself "maybe it's supposed to sound like that", and that REALLY helped.

Even I now I notice it every once in a while but it doesn't bother me in the slightest because I know I'll forget about it in a minute.

You'll be fine. It's normal to have all sorts of sound based insanity especially in the early months of T. It will definitely settle. Don't do anything crazy like overprotecting your ears or avoiding sounds more than you have to. Try to just carry on as normal (within reason). Best of luck to you and please don't stress - you're honestly doing fine.

Xxx

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had some ear sensitivity prior to the onset of my ringing. Probably just my ears telling me that they were tired of music, but I was never one of those people who listened to music loud, not even as a teen. Maybe like 30-40% at most.

I wonder if I had a very very mild unnoticeable Tinnitus (from bars/concerts) which was exasperated by ETD, which in turn ramped up some mild existing hyperacusis? I have talked to many many tinnitus sufferers in the last few months and not a single person experienced what I do (most of them have the classic eeeee sound from acoustic trauma).

I wore ear plugs this morning to grind some coffee beans, and noticed that when I swallowed I had this crazy sounding squeaking in my ears each time I swallowed! It stopped when I started swallowing a lot to replicate it.

14. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      I've experienced the same symptoms. It's important to not overthink all of this. It will get better. But the more you think about it, the harder it will be. I know it's easier said than done though.

15. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I feel like I am losing out on the best years of my life waiting for this nightmare to get better :(

6 months after my surgery I was finally feeling like a normal human being and now I’m stuck with tinnitus & hyperacusis. It never ends.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Jeebs
      Depressed

Jeebs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I started experiencing this phenomenon as well yesterday, but only in my right ear and mostly hear it when it's quiet over female voices on TV. Also my tinnitus changed quite a bit: My baseline sound has disappeared almost or completely in my right ear today and is now replaced with a very quiet low-pitch hum, I can even lie down on that ear without it getting louder.
      Prior to this, I've been to a party with fairly loud music which always seems to alleviate my tinnitus for some reason. Although I'm a bit concerned that this is a false sign...

17. Jeebs
      Depressed

Jeebs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Update: My little beeps change! Every now and then I hear a "plop" like someone opening a very tiny champagne bottle. And afterwards either I have the beeps and a low pitch hum (around 200 Hz-ish?), or they disappear and my hum is around 400-500 Hz. Could there be some physical problem in the middle ear? Like misaligned bones or something with my ear drum? My right ear also hurts much more than the left one which I think may be TTTS or somewhat regarding my hyperacusis.

18. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Add me to the club. Anyone have a tympanogram or benzos before this began? I had both, which did this... ugh

19. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      If it's one or the other I would say the tympanogram is the much more likely culprit. TTTS and hyperacusis go hand in hand with my sound distortions. They come and go together.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Capstan

Capstan Guest

My distortions were getting better until this weekend. I was in a noisy area and they're worse than before. Now I had another tympanogram, how far did this set me back.

21. Capstan

Capstan Guest

I've seen a few folks in this thread was using pink or white noise to mask then developed this condition. I think I'm in this boat. I am now becoming more concerned that pink / white noise at masking volumes can create this damage.

For others don't do this. The results are devastating.

22. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      I just wanted to say mine has improved a lot. It's still there a little bit, but nothing like it was. Sometimes it will spike and get much worse, but usually goes back down after a few days. Mine comes along with these other symptoms that usually spike around the same time: TTTS, hyperacusis, ear pain, reactive tinnitus, headaches, jaw pain, tight neck. I believe what has helped me a bit is working on my posture and massaging/loosening my neck. I believe mine is related in some way to TMJ.

• Like Like x 2
    23. Capstan

Capstan Guest

It's surprising but I think you're right. I have spent time researching Tinnitus Talk and it looks like I'm not the only one that has hyperacusis after a tympanogram. FML.

24. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Do you still have distortion?

25. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey man,

It came back in February but right now I don't have it anymore, or I am just not aware of it. So all is better again!

I took some magnesium and also some benzo for the big stress.

• Like Like x 1
    26. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      What kind of magnesium do you use? I’ve had trouble finding one that has any sort of effect on my stress.

27. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I actually take like a mix of magnesium and b6 vitamin, I think it is pretty common!
      And the magnesium is the one from "sea". In french magnesium Marin.

I think you should not overthink it and take b6 magnesium in your local pharmacy.

28. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I have this too.

29. Gordon Steinberg

Gordon Steinberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/25/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Noise
      Hi all,

I just developed this about a week following an accoustic trauma. Has it gotten better for any of you all?

Thanks!

Gordon

30. Tommo5

Tommo5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earbuds, hearing loss in right ear, noise induced
      I have the exact same thing. I have no idea what’s happening. My ears hurt, ringing louder, I don’t think I can ever live a happy life and I’m only 16.

• Hug Hug x 5