Stress and Tinnitus

Misery

Author
Nov 11, 2013
Tinnitus Since
October 26, 2013
I don't know if there's any evidence of T being exaserbated by stress, but I can personally attest to this being the case for myself. I hadn't been cognizant of my T at all today until I received some bad news. Then my ears began buzzing like crazy.

I agree with you. I notice that when I am really stressed or overtired my T is much worse. I worked a 16 hour shift earlier in the week and had an awful time trying to fall asleep that night because of my T, which lead my to purchase a sound machine

There are many causes of T. So I am not sure if stress is the common ingredient of bad T. However I have read many posts in the last few years in various forums that people do report that stress can spike their T. Many said when they go on vacation, their T seems to fade a lot or they just not aware of their T. So to some people, stress can sure do some damage to their T.

Scientifically I don't know either, seen quite a few claim it to be nonsense, as only that which is known, is stress can give you migraine, muscle tension, pain, chest pain, a stroke, fatigue, stomach problems, sleep deprivation, poking sensations, anxiety, depression. (list goes on, not to speak about the effect from longer periods of stress).
So stress can hit ones' entire body, but our protected ears?:p I think not

Scientifically I don't know either, seen quite a few claim it to be nonsense, as only that which is known, is stress can give you migraine, muscle tension, pain, chest pain, a stroke, fatigue, stomach problems, sleep deprivation, poking sensations, anxiety, depression, some temporary some chronic. (list goes on)..
So stress can hit ones' entire body, but our protected ears?:p

Actually I have read in several places that neurologists say that it is caused by 1) loud noise 2) stress/depression/anxiety 3) unknown reasons 4) colds, infections, meds. I have know links to give to you, but google and you will probably find smth. You can use googlescholar for example, they have scientific articles. I also found some good articles on EBSCO, I dont know if your Uni has it (or I dont really know whether you are a student or not):)

Don't know about scientific research. But there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggests stress makes tinnitus worse. Personally, I believe that's true.

Whether stress by itself causes tinnitus is another matter.My opinion is that stress often is coupled with anxiety, which makes a great petri mix for tinnitus to grow. But I think then a trigger event(s) is needed, like noise exposure or a severe ear infection, for tinnitus to be activated. This is just my opinion, in no way grounded in research.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now