Struck with Tinnitus During a Week of Loud Music, Ear Infection, and Syringing to Clean Ears

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Frodo, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Frodo

Frodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely Loud Couple days with Music
      So I am in my mid-twenties and have been having this awful ringing in my ears for about three and a half months now. It was a weird week that preceded the ringing but, in that time, I stupidly listened to loud music (admittedly with a good subwoofer), but also got an ear infection and took a bunch of Ibuprofen for it, and also had ears cleaned via an ear wash pressure system thing. So an eventful week for my ears that with hindsight I wish I could all take back. Along with the ringing, it is accompanied with immense pressure, feeling of fullness, slight pain, and like static crackling with opening mouth type motions. The latter symptoms come and go, some days worse than others; other days barely noticeable, and for whatever reason the pressure seems better when outside in cold fresh air (winter right now). But the ringing is constant, every day, 24/7; with absolutely nothing (caffeine/alcohol limiting, sleep or lack there of, or different activity like a quiet day vs listening to music/watching movies) that causes it to fluctuate – positively or negatively. Can definitely drown it out with loud enough white noise / background noise but its still there. I have no noise sensitivity, so when out and about and environment noise is ample, the ringing isn’t as big an issue – though the pressure still is; but the ringing is murder when in quiet, absolutely taking away my concentration 24/7 and thus I constantly dread being in quiet. Working / being productive in a quiet room is dreadful, sleep is dreadful, reading in quiet is a no go. I have only been able to sleep with a fan going all through the night.

When first engaged with doctor I was given an appointment for a standard hearing test even though I told them my hearing still seemed perfect – besides the ringing of course. The audiogram came back totally normal, no hearing loss, and the audiologist basically just said well you don’t have anything wrong with you and people just get use to ringing. But obviously the ringing is life impacting. Later got an appointment with primary who thought because of the pressure I could have an eustachian tube issue, so prescribed me Flonase and said to see if that would make it better – it didn’t, just made my nose and eyes dry. Finally got an appointment with ENT who said to stop taking Flonase, and unfortunately there is nothing he can do to help the ringing but said that I could try a week of Prednisone 40mg a day if I wanted to try which of course I did as I am willing to try anything to see any improvement. I kind of think it was starting to help with at least the pressure (though fringe improvement and could have been placebo feeling) but after a week ran out and he said I cannot take it any further and thus after that there is nothing left to try. So here I am.

So I ask a couple things… Anyone further on this path able to say how it naturally progresses both in terms of the ringing and the ear pressure. And in the dreaded reality it does not get any better, how people handle it. How can I get to a point I can sleep without needing to have a fan running all night long drowning the noise out? So that a quiet room does not scare the hell out of me? Is avoiding it/always trying to drown it out a problem? Do I have to try and embrace a quiet room for a while to try and get some comfortability with it? Or will I just naturally ‘get use to’ regardless even if it itself doesn’t quiet; and that eventually it just won’t bug me?

And also on the optimistic note... I know there is no cure now but after reading Research News of Tinnitus Talk I (maybe foolishly) am starting to think cures are around the corner so if the worst case scenario happens and I get no natural improvement, there should be medicine at some point making me think this is not a ‘rest of your life’ type deal as I am still young.

But on that note, it sounds like the ‘Otonomy’ drug is for repairing ‘synapses’ and ‘FX-322’ is for repairing ‘hair cells’ but I have no knowledge on hair cells/synapses/hidden hearing loss or how a hearing loss drug could solve tinnitus when there is no measurable hearing loss.

How do I know which drug I need to root for and pray works? I know I have no measurable hearing loss on audiogram but reading a little on this site makes me think it is maybe ‘hidden hearing loss’ that is my problem causing tinnitus. So would that be hair cells or synapses? Seems a lot of people on Tinnitus Talk are pretty optimistic for FX-322, but will it only help some but not others?

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Frodo

Frodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely Loud Couple days with Music
      ...bump...

Still hoping to hear from someone. Definitely struggling with this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      It's definitely a problem to drown the tinnitus out. The overwhelming majority suggest you should keep masking at a level where you continue to hear your tinnitus. You know what though, some say their tinnitus gets quieter after sleeping in quiet.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are in the early stages of noise induced tinnitus. This type of tinnitus usually improves with time which can take 6 to 18 months sometimes a little longer. I suggest that you leave your ears alone and don't try any long term treatment until you are at least six months in. Making an appointment at ENT is a good idea and if you are feeling stressed, talk to your family doctor about how you feel, as medication can sometimes help if it's suggested.

Try to use low level sound enrichment during the day and at night. More about this is explained in the links below. I advise that you keep away from loud music and not to use: headphones, earbuds, headsets or AirPods even at low volumes.

Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

5. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I'm keen to know this also. Like you I have no hearing loss and my tinnitus is not related to any sudden or prolonged loud noise exposure. I know I could go and study up on the these new drugs. In a past life pre tinnitus I would have done this. In fact, I have a Bachelor's degree in medical science and worked (briefly) in cardiac sciences so I've spent YEARS reading medical journal articles. Tinnitus has left me such a wreck though I don't have capacity to sit down and critically read and analyse anything. I have wondered though if these potential medications are for us without any apparent hearing loss.

You have been at this longer than me so I can't answer really any of your questions. The only thing I can say is that my ear pressure has really eased up in the last week and the pain hyperacusis at the same time. I still have hyperacusis, but my ear is less and less curling up in pain and blocking completely when a door closes or one of my kids dare flush the toilet. Also, all I can say about my own tinnitus is that my bad ear is turning into my better ear and my better ear turning into the bad one . I don't know if my bad one is getting better, or my better one is getting worse. I am still trying to work that out!

6. Xtine2

Xtine2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dirty Electricity (ungrounded)
      Do you have any cavities or gum disease. The ears and mouth are connected, so an abscess can worsen your condition.