Studies Confirm Tinnitus Improves Over Time

Discussion in 'Research News' started by gotyoubynuts, Jun 9, 2016.

1. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      "Studies confirm tinnitus sufferers should just shut their yaps and get used to it, like we've been telling them for years."

What about this sentence from the Conclusions section of the conference poster? "This provides statistical evidence that tinnitus does indeed generally improve over time, albeit the effect is highly variable across individuals." (my emphasis)

Not "tinnitus impact", mind you, but "tinnitus" itself. :banghead:

Edit: Oh and now this message is all over the FB page. How lovely.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Lyric

Lyric Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had Tinnitus for over a decade. It has gotten progressively worse. It is oppressive and unyielding. Has not improved in any way, shape or form.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      I think that all of us we must send a mail to BTA with what we think about because this things put tinnitus in a far away place (far away from research and attention!)

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      When we think we have it bad, let's remember people like the admirable Stephen Hawkings...

stephen_hawkings.jpg

5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      It isn't BTA research, I removed the mail link as it isn't fair to mail them.

The data is from patients on studies who got no intervention. It almost begs for a follow up study - When patients are on a study being monitored, with no intervention being given, what do they seek out themselves as treatment?

There will be more detailed work than is able to be shown on the poster but I wonder if they had data from these patients to show if they decided to treat themselves during the monitoring period and if patients who did get other treatment were excluded from the monitored group?

The conclusion from the poster link is below, they don't claim it's absolute:

Participants in research studies generally demonstrate an improvement in self-reported tinnitus severity scores over time despite receiving no intervention. This provides statistical evidence that tinnitus does indeed generally improve over time, albeit the effect is highly variable across individuals. The effect also seem to decrease when there is a longer interval between measurements. This is likely a limitation of the measurement instruments used (i.e. self report questionnaires). Nevertheless this evidence can cautiously be used when counselling patients.

6. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      By looking at the facebook page, I wonder why there are so negative comments under that post... It seems that the research is wrong :O

BTW i still think T is not chronic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      You're right, Steve. I know that research is not from BTA.
      But the reason for my gesture is this:
      if an important association like BTA promotes studies like this (instead of putting the link on RL-81 (for example), which there is not on BTA page!) what do you get by sufferers? Definitely NOT a "thank you". Unfortunately explain in English on such a sensitive argument is difficult for me (I could say so much but the language limits me). I understand the intention of BTA: comfort for those who are in the early stages of tinnitus but... conversely scares me. And I think that sufferer should informed BTA. Otherwise, what are we doing here? Habit. Coexistence. "You will be better".
      Yes, definitely: kill yourself for tinnitus, live like a miserable for tinnitus or try to manage your tinnitus; the human nature choose the last. But it's not that you're happier! Only less depressed than at the beginning. I think that the "passing message" is not correct. It is a "surrender" message. And tinnitus is likely to become increasingly undervalued if we follow this way, us, like people that want to spread the words around this problem. Sure, we can live our lives with Tinnitus, no other chance. Probably it will become better. But we must not give up.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My tinnitus is still as severe as it was years ago due to Meniere's.....

I think we are all different and depends on how we got it and the severity of it....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      The research gives me a small grain of comfort as I enter my 4th month of this suffering. It backs up what most success stories tell us. One can only hope to be in the majority side that lessens.

10. passerby
      Lurking

passerby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      God only knows...
      Reading through a random 25 introduction posts on this forum will leave the average reader with the impression that tinnitus will get better with time (never a shortage of members to point that out) - here is a prime example:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hello-tinnitus-since-november-2015.13411/#post-163562

It almost seems to be a standard phrase (as if "getting better" is an inevitable fact), and, should anyone suggest otherwise, then they are considered negative and a non-helpful member. With the study results published by the BTA (the original post in this thread) there is actual data that concludes that tinnitus gets better (even if not less loud) over time, and, now - suddenly - there is no shortage of members calling the study and its conclusions invalid. Could the schizophrenic tinnitus community please make its mind up: would you prefer it to get better or would you prefer it to get worse?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      @passerby you are right! I was pointing the fact that the negative comments on facebook post makes the research looks like an hoax ( when it isn't ), that was my though.

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Again, you are conflating the person dealing with it better "it gets better" with the condition actually getting better.

Yes some lucky few seem to have a dramatic reduction in volume after onset. I have not seen a comprehensive study, but from reading a lot of success stories and knowing a little about the condition itself, it seems the underlying cause of tinnitus plays a large role in the long term prognosis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Does it really matter whether a person's reaction to tinnitus gets better or the tinnitus gets better? In both cases the person has a better quality of life. I for one would take either. Holding on for some miracle magic bullet isn't going to work. Because there are so many possible causes of tinnitus it is highly unlikely there will ever be a 'cure'.

14. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      Your reaction is understandable, yet a bit premature.

15. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      The psychological approach is indeed a very underrated phenomena.

16. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Those kind of reviews are very common in the Academic World. Yes, they have all kinds of problems, but it's a way for researchers to try to organize information and move forward. About this particular study, it's really hard to say anything just looking at the poster, the p-values are all over the place, and it doesn't say much about methodologies, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the statistics is BS, most published research is BS anyway.

I really don't think it's very wise for any organization to publish these kind of "news". It's like those "new cancer treatment" that according to the media seems to be discovered every week. That's not quite how research works.

I think there's already a way more reliable indicator right here in this thread: Both @Markku and @Steve are saying that most people move on and never get back. If you take the size of this website into account, I bet they saw thousands of people coming and going. That's a lot of people saying "Oh my god, it's never going to get better" and then "Moving on, not coming back here".

I'm not sucking up to them, I'm actually amazed that the research community isn't more interested on the data and experience available on this board. Willingly or not, they know a lot about T and how most people react to it.

Also, I don't believe someone gets a PHD, study decades to go on a career path to study hearing or Tinnitus, and then say "F**k it, people get better after some time, let's watch Friends reruns all day long". The fact that there are people studying and trying to find new thing about this conditions has nothing to do with how you or anyone personally feels about it.

So, trust the study, don't trust the study, at the end of the day, a lot of different sources are telling you it does get better. Even if the sound doesn't. It's crazy, it's f**d up, but it is what it is.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Chung

Chung Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sudden hearing loss : (
      Sure it so reassuring. I have had severe tinnitus for 5 years now. It has never improved over time. It's so interesting that there is a "study" to prove that. What good does it make? I just want to feel better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      You know what happened? Those people don't have tinnitus or no close family with this horrible condition. If they had a kid or mother suffering in this hell they probably wouldn't think that way. That simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have to remind myself that there are so many causes of tinnitus and also our own coping skills play a part in our tinnitus journey.

Tinnitus gets better over time can be true.

Someone with sever depression and anxiety won't feel that way for a longer period and find it hard to get better over time with tinnitus.

For a lot of people tinnitus will settle down in the first 6 months and some longer and some that feel their is no improvement at all.

I would like to think tinnitus will get better over time for everyone......lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

pollyanna.jpg
      MISSING: Pollyanna Whittier, age 11. Last seen giving pep talk to tinnitus sufferers support group. Anyone with knowledge as to her whereabouts is asked to keep it to themselves because, quite frankly, the brat was insufferably optimistic, and to be honest that bullshit gets old real fast.

• Like Like x 5
      • Funny Funny x 3
    21. movinguy

movinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Neuroma
      Thanks for the positive vibes glynis :cool: I look at it like winning the lottery - it would be awesome if it happened, but it probably won't. Mine is loud and unrelenting, but I can deal with it 95% of the time and that will have to be good enough . . .

• Like Like x 1
    22. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      Guys, I am one of those who has just habituated with T after an increase due to acoustic trauma in March. The first month I was just like all of you are. Just go to the Back to silence thread and try it. It will not take away your T. You will still hear it. But it will not bother you anymore. It is a fact that it is all about how you respond to it. I had nights when I would just dive into the sound and could not sleep at all. Now I sleep as I used to, even though my ears, yes, are screaming, it is not lower than yours. I come here from time to time to check the news. Have faith.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sorry but, how can you know it's not lower than someone else's? Tinnitus is a completely subjective experience and different from everyone; so is a person's reaction to noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      Because some people who are desperate now could think that all the others who tell them that they habituated could have their T milder. This is not my case because I had the same reaction described here and in all this forum.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. nimx

nimx Member

Looks like you already had some mood or anxiety issue before T, am I wrong ? If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. But if I'm right, you already got your answer why your T is getting worse. These disorders (T included) , independently from the causes, are "installed" in your SNC. Plus anxiety and T, in a general sense, have the same underlying mechanism: neuronal hyperexcitability in some brain area. If one of them gets better, the other will get better to, if one gets worse, the other will get worse too. Try to resolve your anxiety problem first (mind that if mood/anxiety is just reactive for an acute stress, meds alone could be enought and you recover in few months, but if it's a longer story [i.e. early trauma which lead to a fragile personality or some other more deep issues] it needs a much longer and deeper work and meds are used just to manage symptoms in that journey, but sure they won't let you magically take the steer of your life), and, if T won't completely disappear (but it could), you will notice it will get alot better, to the extent you won't notice it even if still there. If you don't try to, the risks are that your SNC will get even more overwhelmed and put under more stress (because of T and mood/anxiety, which are themselves chronic stressors) and the whole situation not only won't improve, but it can cause other harm to the system, even worse than T.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    26. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Ironically I got my T from anti-anxiety drugs.

27. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @adrian_em thank you very much!!! i hate the recent trend that people get bashed for saying that they habitauted quickly or immediately or whatever. We all know that the reaction to the sounds plays the main role!!!
      Adrian may I ask hiw old you are and if you now take restrictions in ur life due to T?

28. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      And I got my T from anxiety. In a stressful period (without anxiety), I got different symptoms and this caused high anxiety (health anxiety). This switched on my T - difficult to handle, oftentimes unbearable. T in itself causes more anxiety, so the anxiety/T circle is established. But your posting is good. Perhaps a med like Lexapro could help. I don't know myself why I simply to not try to take it. If my mood enhances, perhaps T is no issue anymore. I cannot imagine that, but who can tell me if I do not try myself?

29. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Martin Hi Martin I know I've said this before but the combination of Gabapentin and clonezepam has helped me immensely ...This past weekend I actually went to my first sports event since T. I watched Argentina vs Venezuela I brought ear plugs and noise cancelling head phones. I was nervous but I had enough protection and I enjoyed myself.
      I hope things get better for you soon. Give meds a shot thats my opinion.
      Take care

30. John G

John G Member

I hate when people compare to other peoples disabilities.

• Agree Agree x 3