Success Stories from Around the Web — Have Hope

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by GSC, Apr 13, 2019.

1. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.

"Hi! I just want to quickly say a couple things: first, I know of only 2 people who have ever had tinnitus in their lives. I probably know more but these are the only 2 people who told me about it. It went away for both of them. One after about 5 months and the other after about a year. Sometimes it’ll come back but not for very long. Second I want to say that I visited my ENT and he was very positive my tinnitus would go away. I got mine after a cold and he said a lot of people develop it after a cold. And it can sometimes take months to completely clear out. But for most patients he has seen it eventually goes away. Last I want to say that the people online and in this forum are the minority of tinnitus sufferers. Most people completely habituate to it or it goes away. I have read MANY success stories. I’ve seen it take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years to completely go away."

"I've had tinnitus as long as I can remember but it was always very faint and never bothered me but as of 5 months ago my right ear has had a very loud ringing noise constantly along with a sort of crackling when I'd hear certain noises/frequencies. I've been sitting at my computer working on music for the past couple hours and I heard something that confused me for a few minutes until I realized I was hearing nothing! It's been an hour and it hasn't come back at all but the crackling is still there. I'm so fucking happy, tinnitus has made me miserable for the past 5 months."

"After almost a year, my tinnitus has completely disappeared. It was caused by a loud concert. I am now very paranoid about it ever coming back. I constantly protect my ears. Just wanted to share a little success story, since they are so rare. Stay safe. Much love.''

"I lurk here from time to time. I had tinnitus for about 3 and a half months. It gradually faded away from high-pitch squeeling in both ears to only my right ear, to white noise in my right ear, and then one morning i woke up and it was entirely gone forever. I'd had periods in those 3 months near the end where it was momentarily silent and then the tinnitus in my right ear came back. I'd also had periods in the beginning and middle when i was stressed out and got little sleep and it returned in my right ear with a vengeance!

I'm sure it's gone and i didn't just habituate. I've listened for tinnitus in quiet rooms and heard nothing but a slight woosh, but none of the ringing that I've heard before.

It differs for everyone though."

"My ENT's daughter had tinnitus and hearing loss from an accident with fireworks. Her hearing came back and her tinnitus went away after a year."

"It was a super slow process for me. Mine originally was in one ear, spread to two ears after a few months. It was a high-pitched YEEEEE, volume 6-8/10. After a few months, it went down to a 4-5/10, with an occasional quick spike. THEN, a few months later, a low hiss like white noise with still loud spikes. Now, nothing. I will have a 30 second period every once in a while where I have the high-pitched ringing for less than a minute. It used to be a few times a week, then a few times a month, now less than once a month, but no ringing other than the ear calibration type. It took a year for me, but I know several people who had ringing for only 6 months, another for only 3, another for 2. My husband had it for two weeks. My mother, on the other hand, has bad hearing loss and has ringing in her right ear constantly and occasional in her left, but rarely. She is totally habituated and doesn't seem to care."

"When i first got tinnitus it was very faint, yet annoying. It was only when it didn't go away and my anxiety rose that it became loud and intrusive.

At the peak, I had high pitch ringing in both ears and brain zaps in the middle of my head. After a week or so the brain zaps went away. Then the sound in my left ear went away. Then in my right ear it became a hissing like a radiator. Then one day it left my ear and was in my head. It sounded like a faint metallic zzzzing sound. It would travel from my forehead to my right temple, to just above the roof of my mouth. Each day that I protected my ears, felt good about myself, and kept myself healthy and with a corresponding night of full rest then I would awake to the sound getting more faint. Same with the other symptoms like headache, pressure, sensitivity to sound, etc. They lessened.

One day I woke up and it was all gone. My brain felt really different. I felt relief. When I had tinnitus it felt like I was under some sort of magic or that I was a broken piece of machinery. It felt good to feel normal, like I was free.

I kinda felt hopeful that my tinnitus would go away because whenever you hear some demonstration about how tinnitus sounds, it's always a consistent tone or some wave pattern. Mine was always quite a bit erratic. Not all over the place, but fluttering around. (2 months)."

"My brother said he had it once, went away after 6 months."

"I just mentioned in another post of two cases I personally know whose tinnitus has gone away completely after 10 years for one, and 15 years for the other."

"I used to have tinnitus a lot, before I even went to my first concert and it was terrible. Luckily it seems to be gone now, but I heard ringing in my ears for a few months."

"I kept waking up hearing what sounded like the bathroom fan coming on - I queried early onset tinnitus but it's gone now thank goodness."

"I had tinnitus on & off for the last few years and now it is gone after my last week's PhD defence. You'll get there ;)"

"HOLY SHIT!!!!! I WOKE UP AND TINNITUS IS GONE! WOOOO!! I've had tinnitus for the last year and a half and its just GONE!"

"After 2.5 year, my right ear miraculously opened back up today. My tinnitus is gone!"

"I had tinnitus for years and discovered I had high blood pressure. Got that corrected and it went away."

"Hope the tinnitus is temporary. I had tinnitus in both ears when i was around 14. It was for a few months I think... then it went away."

"I had TINNITUS for 10 years, as the result of my YEARS OF INVOLVEMENT in very LOUD ROCK MUSIC INDUSTRY in 1980s. It just went away SUDDENLY... PHEW!!"

"My doctors told me there's no cure for tinnitus but mine went away after 2 years, my God is real!!"

"Tonight my tinnitus went away after half a year"

"I deleted twitter off my phone like a month ago and, buddy, I feel great. Like I'd had tinnitus for years and didn't realize it until it went away."

"Ah shit mate solidarity with the tinnitus. I had it for 3 months once when working as a tree surgeon (wood chippers are VERY LOUD) and I had to sleep on one side with the radio on was such a relief when it just went away one day. Very best of luck with it comrade"

"Wait, is having a particular phantom noise tinnitus? I thought it was just ringing or whistling. I had an ambulance in the distance for a few years. Went away on its own."

"Do you still have tinnitus? Mine went away after 32 years on its own. It was a high pitched pulsing sound in left ear. Don't know why it went away."

''Tinnitus. I got it last year from out of nowhere and it also went away out of nowhere. Now it's kinda back from using headphones too much.''

• Like x 11
      • Optimistic x 7
      • Winner x 5
      • Funny x 2
      • Friendly x 2
    2. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for posting this. I appreciate and get motivation to carry on from stories like these.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Of course. I'll be on the lookout for more.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Ivan2475

Ivan2475 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Either citopram or stress and anxiety
      Hi

Good to hear stories like these!

But mine is either from high stress or medication, do you know of any success stories? As that would really help to know.

It’s been over 3 months for me now.

Thank you in advance if you do.

Ivan

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hope, we must always keep the hope. This is what makes it possible (for me) to get through each day.

Thanks for this post, @GSC

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I'll be on the look out for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ivan2475

Ivan2475 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much for your help

8. Bob den Hartog

Bob den Hartog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      Hey, did a lookup through my collection of success stories on these boards, and these state stress or medication as a cause!

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/99-recovered-from-tinnitus.30342/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/it-gets-better-and-better-but-very-slowly.26182/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-tinnitus-went-away.29752/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/now-symptom-free-stress-caused-my-tinnitus.32060/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/silence-after-2-months-of-tinnitus.32072/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-is-gone-after-approximately-4-months.32798/

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Ivan2475

Ivan2475 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much, this has helped me a lot! I did give up smoking, but stated again due to the stress being so much.
      In your experience, would smoking delay the process? It’s the only thing that helps me

10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @GSC -- Thanks for posting these testimonials; helps keeps my hopes up. -- You might be interested in the following article: -- Tinnitus: How an Alternative Remedy Became the Only Weapon Against the Ringing

Some selected snippets from the article:

I have tinnitus. I have had it for 14 years. When my ears started ringing, I ran around to various doctors seeking a cure, until one of them took pity on me and explained that there was no cure. I would have to get used to it.

I discovered the Chinese approach to understanding and dealing with tinnitus by wandering into Acumedic’s clinic on Camden High Street in north London last year out of curiosity. Not expecting that they could offer any help with a condition that leaves Western medicine baffled, I didn’t mention that I had tinnitus. The female doctor told me to stick out my tongue – tongue analysis is a basic diagnostic tool in this system – and after examining it, she asked, “Do you have ringing in your ears?” ......

An imbalance between your organs affects the harmony between blood circulation and qi, and this in turn translates into an imbalance of yin and yang.” By closely inspecting one’s tongue and taking one’s pulse, they obtain an accurate idea of the state of one’s internal organs. They then proceed to treatment. ......

I had no good reason to suppose it would have any effect, and for two or three weeks the ringing continued as normal. But then, as I continued to slurp my daily potion, I realised with surprise that things had begun to improve. I woke in the morning resigned to the usual relentless racket – and it was different: first it lost its ringing quality, so all that remained was a sustained shushing; then the shushing itself reduced, to the extent that sometimes I was able to forget about it for hours at a time.

Dr Lily had explained that the ringing in my ears was caused by an internal imbalance, which the tea she prescribed was intended to correct; now, lo and behold, it was taking effect and my baffling condition was getting appreciably better. Eventually, I would ask myself: am I still suffering from tinnitus? It would take a conscious check to confirm that, yes, there was still this fuzziness clouding my hearing. But for many hours and days I would be all but unaware of it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    11. Bob den Hartog

Bob den Hartog Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice induced
      I have no experience with smoking myself, at all. But I will tell you: the best thing to do, is to live as healthy as possible. Literally everybody will advice you to quit smoking, quit alcohol, quit as much sugar as possible, and start exercising. Your body needs to be in as good a shape, and as fit as possible in order to heal.

To quit smoking might at first return the stress for you, but a healthier lifestyle, especially exercising, will alleviate that again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    12. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      It was nice to read this list :) Gives hope and good energy to all of us.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Ivan2475

Ivan2475 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you again Bob

• Like Like x 1
    14. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Thank you! We need to read encouraging stories like these!

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Samy

Samy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you for these stories.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.

Haha! Great. Looking forward to be tinnitus free for ten seconds before I die of old age. ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1