Successful Experience at a Nightwish Concert in Paris — No Tinnitus Spike

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Sam Bridge, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I attended my first concert since March 2016 this past Saturday. I think I originally got a low level of tinnitus in 2012 but I think it must have faded because I barely remember having it until 2015 after a week where I went to two concerts. I started noticing it more again and I have had it since then at a mild level although it can increase to moderate if stressed/lack of sleep.

I did go to around 5 more concerts at this time wearing the Alpine musician's ear plugs and I was fine after them. Then one day in Spring 2016, I cannot remember exactly when I came across this forum and read the horror stories. This scared me so much I started becoming anxious about loud sounds, I did not attend any concerts since that time. I read the advice on here about resting ears and seeing if anything would change, I can say it has not really changed but the thing that seems to influence it most is my sleep quality/stress.

Anyway I booked the tickets for me and my girlfriend for this concert in March, I picked seats about halfway back in the arena where the sound people sit. I must admit in the week leading to the concert I was nervous and my sleep wasn't great. But I kept telling myself if I have been to concerts before and had no problems why would this time be any different. Also I had some custom molded ear plugs made a few weeks to assure myself I would be well protected.

When we got into the arena entrance I put the plugs in straight away and then went to find our seats. When we got in there the support band were playing, I felt the sound level was comfortable with the plugs in so I started to relax. I ended up having a great time watching the main band (Nightwish), although I did go into the concourse area for a couple of songs that I knew would have loud pyro bangs. I have never liked fireworks or loud sudden noises my whole life, they make me "jump" with fright.

When I got back to the hotel I did have a high pitch noise in my left ear which usually has no tinnitus, this was only heard in silence and faded after an hour or so. Nothing changed with my tinnitus ear though which was great. I slept very well that night as I was relieved that I had finally attended a loud event after being scared because of the horror stories here.

The concert was in Paris (I live in London). It was great to see quite a few people walking around inside actively asking people if they want to buy ear plugs, I have never seen this in any concert that I have been to in England.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I would be worried about this. It's good it went away, but please don't think for one second that it will always be like that.

I believe this kind of thinking is dangerous.

Hearing damage can be cumulative.

You can handle 534 concerts fine, with the 535th one being the one that breaks the camel's back.

All this coming from me who does not avoid all noisy situations at all costs - I believe in sensible hearing protection and doing things you enjoy. But I also believe you can't lie to yourself and you need to be appreciative of the risks you are taking.

I'm glad however you had a nice experience. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      @Sam Bridge fantastic! I'm glad you were able to enjoy yourself. I don't think I would take that risk, but I am happy it worked out for you!

This proves yet again that not everyone's tinnitus is the same, some people can handle different levels of noise, and hearing protection does work for those whose tinnitus can handle it.

I'm happy to see a post with someone who went out and enjoyed themselves and didn't have their tinnitus affected!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      I do not think it's worth the risk. But I'm glad it did not affect you.

I had a completely different experience.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I didn’t lie to myself, i understood there was a risk of potential worsening thanks to this forum. But i had good protection and was quite far from the speakers so i felt fine.

6. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Good story...

I look forward to attending a real concert again too.

My current fitted earplugs don’t offer enough reduction (-15 db) I’m gonna get me some stronger ones (-25 db) and then give it a try.

Slowly build up from a small, initimate venue to something bigger.

Be careful though... I wouldn’t get too careless if you still end up with one ear that beeps after the concert. You may need to increase protection slightly.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Thanks Pero. Yeah there was a slight high pitch noise in my left ear which usually has no tinnitus but it went quite soon. I was quite exhausted by the end as well as I barely slept the night before and had been drinking.

I don’t plan on going to to any concerts for a while. I may go to an outdoor show next sure but I will definitely see Nightwish when they next tour. Also I think an arena is better than a small venue as the sound can disperse easier.