Sudden Deafness/Transient Tinnitus + Vertigo

Discussion in 'Support' started by bill 112, Jun 3, 2016.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Anybody have any idea what is going on with me?I went for a game of Tennis today with a few friends and yes I even wore earplugs just to be safe as I always am now.

But when we got home I sat down in front of the tv when I suffered that transient T people talk about here,I've experienced it before but not like this!I waited a few seconds and of course it passed but no more than an hour later I got another one,this time my right ear went completely deaf replaced by a high pitch ringing noise and my left ear felt as if a suction pipe was in it.After a few minutes it died down a little but I was left with ear pressure and vertigo,I'm like a drunk walking around the place here banging into everything and of course if I sit down and get back up quickly I just stumble around the place and get dizzy.I can still feel the pressure in my ears and if I shake my head,and I know this will sound weird but it's almost like I can feel a sloshing in the back of my head?Any ideas from anyone who experienced this?Starting to think I may have Ménière's now:(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Tennis with ear plugs is a very bad idea man. I find the occlusion effect awful, my ears and head always went haywire after 30 min bouncing around with plugs in. The vibrational energy from your body can not escape due to the plugs, it can get very loud.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It does sound like inner ear issues, not just the cochlea but the vestibular component too. Have you had a CT Scan done? It can show https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_canal_dehiscence
      You could also have labyrinthitis, or a perilymph fistula, Meniere's, endolymphatic hydrops, or... who knows.
      If I were you I'd start debugging it asap.

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I do not think/know that you had vestibular problems prior to this game of tennis and you had these problems only after it as a coincidence, I think that playing tennis with ear plugs was a bad idea. All that bouncing which causes changes in pressure on in inside, while blocking the other side of the ear drum with plugs.....hinders pressure equalizing.
      I hope you are okay now.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Telis @Dana cheers for the replys guys,I know the plugs weren't a great choice but I didn't really have a choice as the smacking sound of the ball against the racket kills me and it's a pretty busy place too,lots of screaming kids etc

The occlusion effect was harsh,my footsteps,my own voice etc were attacking my ears nearly the whole time!But what else can I do?Life with these shit is pretty bleak to say the least!

As far as the vertigo goes I've experienced it once or twice before but last night was really bad,I'm still dizzy and fumbling around the place now as I type this and of course my ears are literally killing me!I honestly don't know what to do anymore,as I said before"damned if you do and damned if you don't":(

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Worrying doesn'T help. I had terrible vestibular (vertigo) problems and they went away for good without treatment.
      Of course a CT would not harm, but I would not jump to conclusions that you acquired some vestibular problems on top of T that will be chronical.
      Just rest after this unhappy and scary episode and be positive.
      If the new symptoms do not subside, then, of course, you need some tests to be done to see what is going on.
      As for cutting some dB while outside maybe noise filters are better for playing tennis with them than ear plugs. Noise filters have a tiny hole. Maybe that tiny hole makes a difference, as the ear canal is not completely sealed.
      Ear muffs may be good too, if they do not fall off while playing.
      Most important thing: stay positive and relax. Stress contracts the ducts through which ear fluids flow and severe stress alone can cause endolymphatic hydrops, for example.