Sudden Onset of External Sounds Being Too Loud — I Guess This Is Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zigs, May 21, 2020.

1. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi All

Without going into details I’ve had tinnitus for 10 years or so but very mild. About 6 months ago it got a lot worse but I had been feeling much better recently.

The past few days I have been noticing that I’m sensitive to noise and today it’s been hell; every noise seems so loud and my ears are sore.

I am guessing this is hyperacusis? What advice is there for people to deal with this on first onset?

Any hope or tips would be so appreciated. I have no idea why this is started and really am at the end of my wits'.

2. sssing

sssing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Hi @Zigs being sensitive to sound and every noise seeming loud sounds like hyperacuisis. I would suggest you try to make yourself comfortable by trying to avoid sounds that are loud. I listened to my body and when there was pain I tried to stop that noise or lower that noise that was causing it. I also felt that a Low noise , Low stress environment helped me a lot. I protected my ears a lot, maybe many would think I was overdoing it but if it caused my ears pain and soreness, I immediately stopped it, put on some noise dampening materials( I found cotton wool helped me)in my ears or leave, then the next thing I suggest is to give them time to heal. It will take time. I also would suggest you avoid using headphones or earbuds. They may make it worse. Your ears are quite fragile now but later on when you have confidence that you can tolerate sounds a little better, try to expose yourself to more sounds very slowly. It helps to play some nature sounds at a Low volume sometimes to desensitise your ears a bit BUT do it very slowly and at no point should it cause you pain or loudness. This is so far what I learnt, hope it is of some help to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you for replying x

4. Andymo

Andymo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Early May 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible earbuds and/oxoticity
      Hi @Zigs. How are you now? I luckily have a mild version of H.

Plastic bags, switches and pan lids give me vibrations. Enclosed in small rooms. Some ear pain today though abso no T.

But absolutely no problem with TV, cars and planes etc. Outdoor noises etc.

What is your level of intensity?

A

• Like Like x 1