Sudden Tinnitus Started on Sunday — Doctor Confirmed Ear Infection in the Ringing Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by antares, Nov 19, 2020.

1. antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Hello everyone.

I'm 19 years old, and I've noticed a ringing in my left ear since Sunday. To preface things, I've never been the kind of person to play music loudly through headphones - I've always made an effort to keep volume minimal and never be careless.

I haven't come into contact with any extended exposure to loud noise like many of the other stories I have read, but I have been experiencing a high pitched ringing noise in my left ear that is faint. The noise is masked by most background noise, so I only really notice it when it's quiet or when I'm trying to sleep.

After a visit to the doctor, she confirmed that I had an ear infection in the ringing ear after my ear became irritated today. I don't understand why I'm going through this, and I'm scared I'll be stuck with this ailment. There was no signs of anything wrong in the days before, and I've only been dealing with this since Sunday, with zero indication that anything was wrong.

I would appreciate any guidance, thank you.

2. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      There’s a very high chance you are only experiencing the ringing as a result of your ear infection. Try not to worry too much & get lots of rest :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Are you sure?

I've been hearing the ringing since Sunday/Monday... and at first, it was only ringing until today I noticed the irritated feeling in my ear while I was walking outside. Is it possible that all the ringing I was experiencing has been because of the infection? Even if it was only discovered today?

This is causing me so much stress...

4. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nobody can be sure unfortunately, but you have a really good chance that it is due to ear infection and in that case it can go away. Please, try to relax a bit (I know it's much easier said than done), but keep in mind that ears can take a long time to heal.

I have a friend who had ringing in her ear for 2.5 months due to ear infection, and she said that it absolutely went away, no remaining problems, nothing whatsoever.

In the meantime, rest your ears, try to avoid loud sounds, be careful about aminoglycosides.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      @Kriszti Thank you very much. As the days go on I'm feeling a lot more calmer about things - the ringing in my ear is still mild, and hasn't increased in severity since it started.

I'm going to continue using the ear spray I've been given by my doctor and be careful about things.

Is there any way to be sure the ringing wasn't caused by audio damage? I haven't been around any incredibly loud sounds recently, no concerts or anything of the sort - and I don't recall any feeling of fullness or pain in my ears.

6. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, I don't think so that there is anything that could 100% confirm that one doesn't have damage in the auditory system. You can try to have a hearing test, but standard testing only goes up to 8 kHz and only tests certain frequencies. If you want to, try take an extended one, but it's the same method, only it goes up to higher frequencies (16 kHz, I guess).

Be cautious about loud tests (I had problems with the reflex test and the loudness discomfort test, but I'm not sure what did me in, probably years of earbud use.)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Update: I used some white noise last night when the ringing was loud and I was able to fall asleep fairly well. After waking up today I've found that the ringing is very quiet, occasionally getting louder before settling down to a volume where I can barely hear it - I'm still using the ear spray as directed by my doctor, I'll be referred to an ENT if it continues for 2-3 weeks after treatment.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Hello everyone!

I've been experiencing mild tinnitus (only audible in quiet rooms stage) in my left ear since Monday. In terms of recent history, I haven't had any situations that could have been classed as loud noise exposure. I hadn't even used a pair of headphones until very recently - and I've always kept the volume on low levels.

After reading some of the threads here, I understand that the level at which my tinnitus is normally takes much longer for other sufferers to reach, and for that I know I'm lucky. However, I still wanted to enquire about a few things.

After noticing the ringing on Monday, I mentioned it in a doctor's appointment I had booked for another matter. After the GP checked my ears with an otoscope, I was told that the inside of my left ear (where the ringing is originating from) looked swollen and red, with pus inside the ear cannal.

After being prescribed an ear spray to control the infection (Acetic Acid) I have noticed that with time, the ringing volume has decreased to nearly imperceivable levels, with an occasional rise in volume during the evenings.

How likely is it that this mild tinnitus will fade into nothing? Can I still continue to use my Bluetooth headphones at low volumes? I haven't noticed it effect the ringing at all.

9. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Be EXTREMELY grateful that your tinnitus is fading and is so mild. Even if it stays at this mild level, you're very lucky.

Never forget this experience. Never forget that people with loud tinnitus commit suicide. If someone comes to you and says they have bad tinnitus, never say "I have that too, mild, doesn't affect me, you'll get used to it" --- your experience is not the same as others!!!

I think @Bill Bauer thinks fading is a very good sign. Yours could go away completely over the next weeks and months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is based on what I learned after reading this forum almost every day for close to four years.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      I understand completely that I need to be grateful for these circumstances. I am thankful that it's been mild and is steadily getting better/fading away. I'll continue to use the medicine I have been provided and monitor progress.

Is it safe to use headphones? I'd like clarification on that.

12. Darwinism

Darwinism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear irrigation
      I am nowhere near a professional, and this is 100% just my opinion, but limit any noise close to your ear as possible. If your tinnitus is caused by ear infection, let it heal and let it be for the time being. I’ve only had tinnitus for 1 month and 21 days but it’s definitely gotten a lot more manageable! I have an occasional day where it’s a little louder than usual. But, if you keep your mind busy and go about your regular day, you’d hardly notice it.

13. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Not that it’s any of my business but I don’t think even a teen with perfect hearing should use headphones, those things are ear molesters and I know of at least two people off the top of my head that got tinnitus from just using headphones. My advice, listen to your music through speakers, if you’re going for a jog just listen to nature, your ears will thank you for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Hello everyone!

Since it has been a while since my last post, I figured I would give an update on my situation - since my previous post, it's been 10 days since the usage of the anti-biotic ear spray (Acetic Acid) I was given by my GP after the ear infection was discovered. As time has progressed, my ringing has reduced significantly and is now consistently quiet.

Whilst I'm still aware of it in quiet rooms, I can't hear it over minor noises such as my laptop fan, and it's nearly unpercievable in environments outside of pure silence. I'm now feeling a lot less anxious, and a lot more hopeful that I will make a recovery. (To clarify, I was never exposed to loud noises at any point before this, I had only used my headphones for a few months and it was at minimal volumes, hardly a long-term history of noise exposure, no concerts or clubs either.)

I'm taking each day as it comes and doing my best not to check for it, or let it spoil my daily activites. Thank you all for your support.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Hello everyone!

I'm 19 years old, and I've been dealing with minor unilateral tinnitus (only in my left ear and only audible in quiet rooms/when I try to sleep) for approx. 3 weeks now. (I first noticed the ringing on Monday, 16th November.) After initially discovering the ringing, I fell into a state of panic and quickly booked a doctor's appointment.

After eventually seeing my GP 3 days after onset, she used an otoscope to check my left ear and informed me that the inside of my ear was inflamed and swollen. Following this discovery, I was given an antibiotic ear spray (Acetic Acid) to be used for a week. It has now been 11 days since I've stopped using the spray and the ringing has dropped significantly.

I had to travel recently to return home for the holidays (I've been studying in a different city) and I've noticed that the ringing has significantly calmed down to the point where it is very quiet throughout most of the day and is occasionally more noticeable (right before bed, and in the early morning after waking up).

Is it likely that my tinnitus will go away? I have no reason to believe my tinnitus is caused by noise trauma, as I don't attend clubs, music events or have a long-term history of headphone usage, nor have I had any events happen to me recently that would qualify as noise trauma.

PS: @Michael Leigh, thank you so much for your informative posts. It has helped dispel a lot of my worries, and I would appreciate any guidance you may have.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Can someone please help me? I'm feeling incredibly anxious. I need help...

17. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jesus dude. You can only hear your tinnitus in quiet rooms / when going to sleep.

That is MILD TINNITUS.

If it doesn't go away, you'll get used to it in a matter of weeks/months.

Consider yourself blessed. Some of us have jet engine tinnitus that can be heard over a shower. Some of us like @Allan1967 had to kill themselves because of the loudness of their tinnitus.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      With all due respect, by no means am I trying to imply that I'm ungrateful for my situation. I know, after reading many of the posts on here that I could have it much worse.

I understand that my tinnitus isn't as disruptive as many of the other cases on this forum, but I'm trying to ask for guidance because even though it's only mild, it does cause me distress.

19. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My point is you need to put your mild tinnitus in context and not worry about it.

There's nothing you can do to help relieve it, it either goes away or it doesn't. That's the ugly truth.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      I understand that. And I'm doing my best to push it to the background and get on with my life.

I know that at the end of the day I just have to wait it out and see what happens, I've read stories of it going away for some and staying for others - and I know people learn to live with it, I know there isn't any assurance or guarantee of anything. It's just been difficult for me to accept that, it's been difficult for me not to catch it whenever I'm in quiet areas, it's difficult for me not to wish it would go away every morning when I wake up with it.

I've gone to the doctor and tried to resolve it but I'm at a loss about what I need to do. I don't even know how to habituate or anything like that.

21. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Hi Antares,

Sorry to hear that you're struggling right now.

Getting Tinnitus is a shock to the system so it's perfectly natural to feel anxious and distressed at first. Please don't feel that you need to justify your reaction to it because it isn't 'loud enough'. What matters is how you feel.

Nobody can tell you whether it will go away or not, as you know, but what we do know is that it is common for Tinnitus to reduce, disappear or cease to be a problem; it just takes time, so please try not to worry too much and don't give up hope.

Habituation happens naturally, so you don't need to do anything in particular except carry on with your life as before and give it time. If you feel like you're struggling to carry on as normal because you're anxious (which is very normal with Tinnitus, so do not feel bad about this) speak with your GP about anxiety reducing solutions. You could look into TRT, which is counselling specific to Tinnitus, but you may find regular therapy to be more cost effective.

Try to stay as calm as you can and distract yourself as much as possible. I used white noise to mask in the beginning as this helped to focus on something else. As your Tinnitus is maskable, it may help you to do the same. You seem to have read a lot of the forum, so it may help you to take a break for now and focus on your recovery.

You are clearly susceptible to Tinnitus, so will need to look after your ears going forward. Use earplugs for any loud places and please don't use earbuds/headphones again. I know how hard that is when you're only 19, but it will help prevent it from coming back/getting worse.

I hope you continue to experience improvements :).

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Hey everyone.

My tinnitus started in early November last year. 3 days after onset I went to my GP and was diagnosed with an outer ear infection. I can confidently say it's significantly improved over the weeks since then. I still notice it from time to time, but I feel like it's become a lot fainter/softer recently.

I'm currently due to have my ear checked for any signs of residual infection after the initial treatment.

I wanted to ask, how long do ear infections and ear infection related tinnitus typically last? I'm concerned at the length this has persisted for, as it's lasted much longer than any other symptoms or health issues I've dealt with.

Thanks for the support! I appreciate any responses! :)

23. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No estimations can be given. Yours is still in the acute period so it could keep improving. Acute period = 6-12 months depending on source.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      antares

antares Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trying to figure it out.
      Thank you for responding! I'll keep this in mind and hope for the best.