Suddenly Can't Hear Any High Frequencies in My Left Ear — Everything Sounds Muffled

Discussion in 'Support' started by johnsole65, Jun 16, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It doesn't work like that in the UK unfortunately, there are waiting times.

Also I'm worried their tests won't show the hearing loss as it seems to be in the higher frequencies, and their tests are really basic.

I'll go see my doctor again.

Thanks for the help.

2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      What value do you get out of knowing your hearing loss?

3. Niamh
      Doubtful

Niamh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I'm 14 and I've had the ringing in both ears since January this year and constantly ever since. It started with an ear infection, then the infection went and the ringing stayed.

The doctor said I had wax build up but that's gone too.

I always listen to music and now I'm petrified it's permanent because people are saying it is.

I'm waiting to be referred to the ENT Doctor. I really don't want my tinnitus to stay forever. It's getting me depressed and now I'm starting to lose hope and now my mind is telling me it's going to stay.

My doctor said it can fizzle out and go over time but I'm so scared it might not. And everyone is telling me to stop stressing and even it's permanent you just got to live with it and I can't because it's making me feel down all the time.

Is there any chance it can go away? Please someone help.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      This happen to me but only for a very brief moment, a couple of seconds. Suddenly I dont hear anything for those seconds but a very loud and high-frequency beep. Usually after this happens I feel less pressure in my ears and better hearing, so it is kind of scary because for a bit I dont hear but then it is ok. I have absolutely no idea about what causes this.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So, after my brief episode of very strange ringing (which was completely different than I had in any number of years of tinnitus) the tinnitus went COMPLETELY. It was bliss. Later that day I started feeling shitty.

I just had a sinus infection for two days. At the end of the sinus infection, I had a blocked right ear and a LOT of pressure inside my right ear, none in left.

I woke up the next day to no pressure but ridiculously loud tinnitus in the left ear. It has gone down but now I have no ringing in my right and it's just loud in my left.

My issue lies not with the tinnitus but with the not knowing if I'm getting hearing loss or not.

I have been thinking these things are the sign of something sinister, as in supernatural, considering logically the timing and other conditions and problems that occur just after asking certain things not to happen they do.

6. Cojackb
      Fine

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had a similar thing a few weeks back - I suddenly noticed any sound through my right ear was extremely muffled to the point where I felt as though I couldn't really hear much at all and the T had amplified ten-fold.

This also spiked my hyperacusis in both ears dramatically.

It did go back down after a few days - the muffled sensation began to ease until it was relatively normal again and the T slowly followed suit.

I sincerely hope yours starts to improve as well but please don't feel alone :) there's lots of people who have or are experiencing very similar symptoms.

EDIT: Sorry just saw the last updates and that your hearing got better etc. I'm glad!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Cojackb
      Fine

Cojackb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes it can go away - have a read through the Success Stories category on here. Lots of people that have experienced T have found theirs fade out to nothing. Hope you're Ok!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Yes it can get better x

9. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Does muffled hearing mean you can’t understand or hear words very well?