Support Dr. Tzounopoulos' Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by TuxedoCat, Nov 27, 2018.

1. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Anyone wishing to support Professor Dr. Tzounopoulos' research* may do so by donating using the link below.

Be sure to specify tinnitus from the menu for Designation so that the money is credited to the Professor.

https://eyeandear.thankyou4caring.org/DonateNow

* Further information about his research can be found in the Professor Tzounopoulos thread within the Research News section.

Thank You!

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thanks @TuxedoCat!

I am torn with donations. I prefer to donate to Tinnitus Talk and the various fundraisers here.

Wonder if we could do a Tinnitus Talk group fundraiser just for Professor Tzounopoulos?

I think most people are kind of tapped out right now. Maybe at the beginning of the new year?

One thing that really bothered my husband and I... We were big supporters of OHSU Tinnitus Clinic. We did massive fundraising. When OHSU closed the Tinnitus Clinic that money disappeared.

So I am a bit hesitant to donate to any university program.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      There are two options;

Pittsburgh Hearing Research Centre and Tinnitus Research!

Which one do we choose?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Valeri, Choose Tinnitus. The areas of research are described elsewhere on that site. The Hearing Research Center is associated with audiology. TC

• Like Like x 1
    5. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'd choose Prof. Thanos Tzounopoulos.

The tinnitus community needs to get its head around the idea that if we ALL frequently donate something, we can make a difference at very little risk to us financially.

Good on @Starthrower for raising funds.

But I'm sure Starthrower would be less pissed off if he/she only lost $12 (at a dollar a month over the course of a year) as opposed to $1200 he/she may have raised (for example) as an individual.

I waste $12 a month on crap from McDonald's.

• Like Like x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Before we spend a dime we need to find out if FX-322 has an effect on tinnitus. Pretty significant experiment going on with that stuff.

7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Starthrower,

I was thinking the same! Maybe a group fundraiser in the new year would be good.

Worth a try!

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If your donating massive amounts or setting up an endowment, its always good to ask what will happen to the money should the receiving institution cease to exist. I learned this from being a church treasurer. The endowment document's I've seen address that issue so the donor knows ahead of time what may happen. It makes sense and is good practice. In this day and age, nothing stays the same.

My personal view is that donating to someone who has grant money from an agency like the DoD or NIH is a safer bet. Those agencies have at least reviewed a grant application and have taken the decision the research has merit. What we don't know is the risk level or probability of technical success for that research, but hey, that kind of goes part and parcel with research.

I agree. With the holidays coming up its probably not a good time to raise funds. But it is the giving season and there's nothing to stop an individual from donating to his or her their favorite charity or researcher if they can, just keep in mind the possibility of another fundraiser in the new year.

If we did another fundraiser later and plopped $5K into a researcher's program, I think it would be noticed.

It will be interesting to see what develops from @Ed209 's fundraiser for Danny. Actually the deadline for grant applications is not so far away. All the more reason not to start another fundraiser now, let's keep the spotlight on Danny!

TC

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I probably will skip donating this month since I already planned a donation to Tinnitus Talk.

And since Prof. Tzounopoulos has funding now, he at least can continue his work.

Tinnitus Talk on the other hand needs surely our help with the upcoming Q&A and other projects. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I agree @TuxedoCat! The OHSU Tinnitus Clinic was one of the best and probably oldest programs in the U.S. It was interesting being close friends with the person(s) who ran the clinic. Other university programs seemed almost jealous how the tinnitus clinic was able to sustain itself through donations. It was mostly done by tinnitus sufferers who knew the help they received needed to be played forward.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      We were not "pissed" off @Allan1967. Oh I am a girl.:p

And it was not $1200.00. More like over 30k. But the amount should not matter because all donations are equally important. It was being taken.

There is so much competition between different university programs. Most want the "sparkle" attention for big donations towards other causes.

12. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'd be pissed off.

Please understand I'm trying to convey the idea that if every tinnitus sufferer donated a dollar per month and there's 30,000 of us doing that, that's $30k per month being generated that can go towards research. And that's at a cost to you of just $13 dollars a year, therefore little risk to you personally and all the other 29,999 people.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hi there,

We will be interviewing Prof. Tzounopoulos soon for the Tinnitus Talk Podcast!

Cheers,
      Hazel

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    14. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Prof. Tzounopoulos plans a Zoom webinar next week on Thursday 30 April at 12 noon Eastern Time.

Title of webinar:

“Sight + Soundbites with Dr. Thanos Tzounopoulos and Dr. Ross Williamson”

“The Eye & Ear Foundation proudly introduces a new bi-weekly lunchtime educational webinar series of the research and clinical innovations at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.”

Link to register:

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_u9Nx0NtJRMm8Ofw68SsVDQ

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1