Surgery, IV Antibiotics (Cefoxitin) & Tinnitus — Can the Tinnitus Get Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by racerfish, Jul 25, 2021.

1. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I was wondering if people have had their tinnitus increase after surgery?

I'm worried about the antibiotics they want to give which are different from ones that are taken orally since they are delivered via IV and hit you much more quickly and in a much larger one-time dose. They've told me that ultimately the decision is up to me but said that they strongly recommend them.

The antibiotic they want to administer is Cefoxitin which is a cephalosporin.

2. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      According to the doctor in this article, the antibiotic you've named is one of the least ototoxic antibiotics one can be issued.

Apparently the rule of thumb when it comes to ototoxic antibiotics, is that they can be safely consumed when taken orally; however an OA taken intravenously is a BIG no no, and will likely result in great harm to a person who already suffers with tinnitus. (Remember reading something to this effect in a thread answered by Dr. Nagler.)

So to conclude, in my unprofessional opinion, this option sounds perfectly safe, and I don't think it should do you any harm.

3. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got IV Ceftriaxone, also a Cephalosporin. All was good. No adverse effects so far - 2 days out.

Just leaving this here for others to see. Getting IV antibiotics is scary shit for us tinnitus sufferers. Helps to see a positive post or two.

• Like Like x 1