Symptoms of Severe Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 85dB T, Aug 16, 2018.

1. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does severe tinnitus cause stomach problems?

Has severe tinnitus ever caused psychosis?

Does severe tinnitus reduce mental abilities?

Does severe tinnitus reduce one's ability to experience joy?

Does severe tinnitus reduce motivation?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I believe sever tinnitus can directly and indirectly cause many of those things. Tinnitus itself is stressful. It can cause anxiety. Anxiety can cause all of those things. Also, if you make life style changes due to tinnitus like avoiding social gatherings where you might feel its too loud, then that can cause a feeling of isolation which can effect motivation and joy, basically depression.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    3. HearsToHope
      Fine

HearsToHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
      I don't think tinnitus itself directly causes any of those things besides reduced mental ability. However, tinnitus to which someone has not yet adapted can cause severe anxiety and depression, which can cause all of those other things. Anxiety and depression are normal, human, perfectly acceptable and treatable responses to tinnitus.

4. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      It just isn't right. I'm in a hotel right now and the amount of motorcycles outside are steadily reaching about 4 every 16 minutes. They are loud LOUD...like " omg what are you thinking! " loud! They blast their stereos with giant speakers on the back of their motor cycles....and you can hear them a mile away on the 20th floor with all Windows closed. In the middle of times square...or even philly...it's all the same...Noise everywhere! Like wtf....are you mad or nah?

Those people are gonna wake up in 30 years with some angry t , for sure!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My tinnitus has been severe from day one four years ago. Always there. Unmaskable. Two weeks now going through an horrid spike. H O R R I D.
      Trust me: Diarrhea, psychosis, heavily reduced mental abilities, zero joy. That's me right now under this junk's effects.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Let me know when you come up with more happy news.

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      All you can do is hope it improves on its own, call it the ears healing whatever.

8. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I hope I'll have reasons to do so.

9. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Anxiety, stress and depressions driven by tinnitus do, also meniere sufferers can have balance issues which could also cause stomach problems.

If you focus on the noise and make it an important part of your life, it can indeed drive you mad.

Severe forms of tinnitus can impact your concentration abilities and therefore be extremely debillitating.

It does if you let depression settle in and if you focus on the noise too much, otherwise many severe sufferers enjoy life and thrive, you shouldn't disregard your condition (not that I believe it to be possible), but the more you let it drive your life, the more severe it'll be and the less likely you will get to enjoy life again.

I would lie if I said it doesn't. How much of an impact it has is up to you though, overall, you can't reduce the noise, so the only step is to accept it, move on with your life and perform things you enjoy, which incidently will drive focus away from your T and make it more manageable. It's hard to envision living like this, but the alternative is, more often than not, actually worse.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Let's just not forget that many severe sufferers are not able to enjoy their lives like they used to anymore. Millions worldwide aren't even able to work anymore, I bet they're still trying to cope as best as they can but in the end tinnitus can stop you from being able to do certain things. I oftentimes see people talking about severe sufferers enjoying their lives but that’s not possible to the same extent anymore if you’re a severe sufferer. It undermines how much of an impact this condition can have.
      Except if the tinnitus becomes so severe that you, for example, can't even work anymore. How you react to it can help you how you cope with those new limitations but it won't necessarily enable you to live as if they don't exist.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Today's mild tinnitus could become tomorrow's severe. One never knows?