Temporary Silence During Tinnitus Research Study (Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation, tDCS)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Isabella 123, Nov 4, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I live in Arlington VA and am participating in a tinnitus research study at Georgetown University Medical Center. This is not a clinical trial, it's a research study, so what I have gotten is not a treatment. But it did silence my tinnitus temporarily. Other participants in the study had similar temporary results!

2 weeks ago I had a 15-minute treatment of transcranial direct current stimulation and my tinnitus (normally 6/10) went completely away for 2-3 hours, then for 2-3 hours it gradually got louder until it was back to its usual volume. Remember this study is not looking for a cure, but uses tMRI to look at the brain to see how the current changes the pattern of neuron flashing. I was told that the placement of the electrodes was different than what has been done on earlier studies.

However, the blessed 2-3 hours of silence was awesome. I have found a doctor in Atlanta Ga who has a clinic offering tDCS treatments for tinnitus, chronic pain, epilepsy, etc. I am thinking of going there to see if his treatments would help me. I've been corresponding with him; he has been doing this for several years and has had success in lowering the volume for sufferers but not stopping the T. However, since mine actually stopped I am hopeful.

Has anyone else had any success with this kind of treatment?

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      Are you sur that it was not just a placebo effect ?
      can people from other country participate in this research ?

3. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi,,
      The treatment can help a little but not been
      Proven to give long term relief as yet....lots of love glynis

4. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @Isabella 123 thats great news!!! Could you give the information of the doctor in ga!? I live fairly close I would like to try it too!!! Thanks ..

5. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AC/DC Concert
      Hello Isabella,

That is awesome. Good luck to you.

Please post his name & office phone # if the procedure works for you. -- A lot of us would like to inquire.

Take care, John

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      I have heard other such reports. For some the T disappeared or went way down indefinitely, not just temporarily.

It's interesting that you had those results after only one 15-minute session. I'm wondering why they are not doing repeat sessions--especially considering those results.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey, that's great to hear! I did the same study; unfortunately it had no impact on my T.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      This is entirely investigational, and is intended to generate imaging data -- it's an MRI study, not a treatment study. So, they are trying to figure out what differences are seen in fMRI after treatment if the tinnitus is suppressed, and figure out what that says about the physiology of tinnitus.

If they learn anything useful, it seems reasonable to assume treatment attempts might be forthcoming.

If they publish a paper, then it will be fairly easy to try to replicate their protocol at home... tDCS is not complex technology and does not require much equipment. You can get medical-grade devices for maybe a couple thousand dollars, and you can construct DIY versions for <$100 -- there is an entire subreddit devoted to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/tDCS

• Informative Informative x 2
    9. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes that's correct @linearb. I talked with her a lot after I had good results and learned more about what she is looking for and what she has found. You are right it's a brain study not really a tinnitus study. However I am looking forward to seeing her paper, she said all of us who participated will receive a copy. Are you in our support group at Georgetown? Message me offline if you'd like to talk about the study.

10. Brett

Brett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Isabella

Can you describe where the red (positve anode) and black (negative cathode) electrodes were placed. I assume it was you head and of shoulder area. Thanks!

11. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Brett. The positive was right in the middle of my forehead in the hairline. The negative was about 2.5 inches straight to the right side of my skull. If you know brain sections, the cathode is over the ventromedial prefrontal cortex and the anode over the right inferior frontal gyrus. Understand that this was not a tinnitus study, it was to study the effect of stimulating dopamine production. I am just excited that a side effect influenced my perception of the tinnitus!

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Do you experience relief of T from an Orgasm?

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. NineNails

NineNails Member

Okay, this sounds really interesting! I wanna try it.

14. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      Can you post the doctor's contact info? It seems very interesting.

15. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
    16. treat rayner

treat rayner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2nd 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have just fallen prey to Tinnitus about 3 weeks ago. I already have a tDCS machine so I am trying it out as I write this. If anyone else out there has had success , please tell me your montage so i can try it also. I can attest to the safety of the tDCS unit. I have used it for depression with good effects over two years ago. I have not needed it in over 18 months. Now I am hoping it will help reduce this damn "purple noise" I have in my head.

17. jross7

jross7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Isabella123
      Is that support group still in existence in the DC area? I am fairly new to t but would love to join a support group...I have kids in the DC area with a spare bedroom! Or is it just an online group? Thanks so much for any info

18. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @jross7
      Yes the group is very active and in fact has now split into 2 groups to accommodate people in different parts of the DC metro area. Contact is Ted at tturesky@gmail.com. He is on staff at Georgetown University Medical School.

19. jross7

jross7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you ever so much!

20. jross7

jross7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Isabella123 Can you tell me how often you get together and is it always at the med school?

21. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      The group at the hospital meets about once a month or every other month depending on who is available to present a program. It's not a group that just sits around "being pitiful," it's very active in researching and keeping up with developments. The other group I don't know about as it split off from the hospital one where I go so I don't know what they are doing. Contact Ted, he is very friendly and is quick to respond and can give you all the info.

22. jross7

jross7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks so much ! Will get in touch with Ted by email....Maybe I will get to meet you in person soon....

• Agree Agree x 1