Terrible Tinnitus Spike Caused by Taking Diosmin & Hesperidin or Eating Apples?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ErnieMassri, Jul 2, 2023.

1. ErnieMassri

ErnieMassri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2010 (spike 2020)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluoxetine, Alprazolam withdrawal, stress
      Good evening everyone,

I'm recently having a severe tinnitus spike after almost a week of almost complete silence. The story goes like this:

I recently had a minor surgery (thrombosed hemorrhoid was lanced). The pain I've experienced in the last few days (before and after), I don't wish it to my worst enemy (if I ever had an enemy).

To speed up my recovery, I've been eating lots of apples (bioflavonoids are good to keep our veins healthy plus get things moving smoothly) as well as a supplement, called Diosmin & Hesperidin (made of citrus fruits, it's supposed to improve circulatory health and avoid another hemorrhoid flare.)

Unfortunately, today I woke up with a terrible spike, and I'm not sure what it is. I've done a little research, and both apples and the supplements are supposed to be good for tinnitus. But since my tinnitus is not likely caused by hearing loss related, but rather by other stuff (benzo withdrawal and stress), I was wondering if any of you ever had a bad experience with apples or the aforementioned supplement.

Any input, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. DeepakB
      Wishful

DeepakB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ENT's opinion - Stress. I ain't too sure.
      I've never had Diosmin & Hesperidin but I have apples all the time. I love them. I don't remember ever getting a spike from eating apples.

Over the years I've realised that spikes are random (at least in my case). I could be sitting in a silent room with no triggers and suddenly have a spike. Then, I could watch a movie at the cinemas at very high volume and have no spikes what-so-ever.

Initially I kept a diary to note down what I had eaten or done whenever I had a spike. After a while it included everything from playing the drums to simply waking up in the morning.

Long story short, almost everything can cause a spike. As long as you are protecting your ears, you shouldn't worry about them. Spikes feed off our awareness. The more you notice and think about them, the longer they seem to last.

I hope you feel better.

G'day.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ErnieMassri

ErnieMassri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2010 (spike 2020)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much for your input and wishes, Deepak. Yes, I'm starting to notice the same pattern: that there is no pattern. Granted there are several things that are obvious to cause a spike: stress, lots of sugar, caffeine, or lots of fast food. But other than that, it seems quite random.

Take care,
      Ernie

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. DeepakB
      Wishful

DeepakB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ENT's opinion - Stress. I ain't too sure.
      Absolutely!

Stress almost always causes a spike, or makes me notice it more.

Strangely, fast food and sugar makes me feel better. I mean, it does not quieten my tinnitus but just puts me in a better frame of mind to cope with the noise. I wonder why.

Also, off late I have started to notice that the position/tension of my neck might have some impact on the volume of my tinnitus. Still early stages, so I don't know for sure. But, if I relax my neck, I tend to feel better.

I guess we must follow the golden rule - just not feed the tinnitus with stress and anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      I understand getting worried over whether things will make tinnitus worse, but I really doubt eating something as nutritious as apples can cause a ‘severe’ tinnitus spike lol, and a permanent one at that.

How many apples were you eating per day anyway? The only thing I can think of, and it’s a BIG maybe, is if the high amount of apples you were consuming each day led to a high blood sugar spike which possibly affected your tinnitus also. Apples do have a lot of carbs, so maybe you had some fluctuations in your blood sugar. Does certain foods affect your tinnitus? Lots of people here say food affects their tinnitus like coffee for instance. Food doesn’t affect me at all as far as I know and if it did, I wouldn’t give two shits if it spiked me. Food is pleasurable to me, I won’t let tinnitus take that away from me.

Not sure about Diosmin & Hesperidin as it’s my first time hearing about those supplements. Looks pretty harmless though.

Anyways, try to relax. Apples are good for the human body lol. Keep eating them, but maybe in moderation, in your case I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Apples are crunchy.

Did the noises from eating them exacerbate your tinnitus?

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      As one of the members of the "dirty dozen", make sure you peel apples and wash, rinse. Helps to mitigate the pesticide load.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      OP hasn’t specified whether they have extreme sound sensitivity or hyperacusis nor how susceptible they are to spiking from sound exposure. I’m going to assume they don’t have any issues in regards to that, otherwise they wouldn’t be eating crunchy things in the first place. Besides, you can chop up the apple up into tiny pieces, mitigating the noise lol.

I think the consumption of large quantities of apples and its impact on the human body and of course, tinnitus is the OP’s main concern here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. MadG

MadG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Definitely apples.

• Funny Funny x 3
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ErnieMassri

ErnieMassri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2010 (spike 2020)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, actually, the sound of crunchiness calms my tinnitus down for a little while.

I think it was me being paranoid, as I've eaten lots of apples lately and my tinnitus has been OK. Probably it was the supplement or just like the other member said, stress and anxiety. Tinnitus is a life-changing event, and I wish with all my soul I didn't have it. I wish there was a cure for it, but since the symptom is invisible and many people that have it are simply not bothered by it, treatments continue to be limited, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1