Terrible week but I think I'm okay...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kathi, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I had a dire family emergency. I almost lost someone very close to me and spent days at the hospital. I don't want to say what it was due to privacy but it was the worst thing I've ever been through. It's very strange but the whole time --5 days and nights--I was aware of my tinnitus but it just didn't matter a fig or I would think, 'how fk'n annoying' and go on to what I had to do. Many times I just forgot until I got in a quiet place. Then it got really weird when I would hear my T and it felt kind of normal!

Things are better. I am better. So far, my family member is recovering and the future looks good--although I try to keep my head where my feet are--in the present.

Love you all. Everything you all told me is true.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Sorry about your family emergency. I am glad to read it is getting better and better and better.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry to hear of your family emergency. Hope everything will turn out ok. But your story illustrates how important it is to have the brain not zoom in on T. When it is distracted and the brain on something else much more important, T just gets faded out of consciousness even though the same ringing is always there. When we get to the stage that even normal events in our life can fade out T, habituation will be a certainty.

4. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Kathi! What a scare! :eek: Sorry you had to go through that, but very glad to hear things are better!!!(y)

@billie48 is so right (as usual!), the habituation process involves our brains learning to fade the "noise" out, even though it is still present. I hope that through this experience you have been able to realize that you can live with T!!

I pray things continue to improve for both you and your family member!! And I applaud your perspective of keeping your focus on the present!!:)

Best to you!

Jeff

:rockingbanana:

5. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Glad to hear that your family member is recovering - hopefully they will get better soon! Am glad at your epiphany too - I sometimes feel like you do, but I seem to keep taking "two steps forward, one step back". I think an emergency like yours makes us realise that T isn't such a big deal compared to what could happen. Take care.

6. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I really like what everybody above me wrote...

hope your family relative will be ok!!

and I love it when T fades out of consciousness!!

• Like Like x 1
    7. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hope everything works out x

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Thank you everyone! I always feel supported here. My family member is recovering. I'm also glad to find out that I can still step up when needed and forget about myself long enough to handle what I need to.

@citigirl13 I have taken two steps back when thinking I've made a big step before. I think as @here2help says, it's what we make of the difficult days--we need to just continue on living as if we didn't have T. I'm not sure I will ever truly habituate to where I only hear it when I listen for it, but I do forget about it when I'm doing things and the sound really doesn't bother me anymore (most of the time). I also forgot about it when I had to help someone I truly love and care for--it wasn't about me so maybe helping someone else is part of our answer.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Kathi I believe you are strong and you will fully habituate. You will realize after a year how much more you accepted the T. God bless.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

Thank you so much for such kind words and encouragement. God Bless you and yours also.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Best wishes to you, Kathi. I'm glad your family member is doing better, and am also glad to hear that your T faded into the background during this time. That definitely bodes well for you in the future; I too believe you'll be able to habituate, and maybe sooner than you think!

Take care, and may God bless,
      Karen

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Thank you @Karen--encouragement from you is a gift. It really helps when the veterans give support. I am in such debt to you all. Just a few months ago I never would've believed I could live with T. Today, I'm living a normal life--today I was at a Christening for my husband's great nephew. It was a blessed event and made me very happy to be able to enjoy the day, the family and just life in general.

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Kathi

It's wonderful to hear that you are enjoying life again! That is one of the keys to living with tinnitus -- ignoring its hold on you, and getting out and living again, as you did before. It's not always easy, but I've found that if I push myself, I can ignore the tinnitus during that time, and it actually fades into the background. When I visit my little grandson, I somehow forget about my tinnitus. And I wish that the same thing will happen to you!!

14. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hugs to you, @Kathi. As you said, you are living your life -- concern at a family emergency, joy at a christening -- just as you would have without tinnitus. Yes, there may have been a few times within those events that your T annoyed you some. But you were part of those moments just as you would have been without tinnitus. I don't know if this would be the classic definition of habituation. But: it is proof that tinnitus is not running your life. You are. Which is everything.

• Like Like x 1