Terrified — After 3-Hour Flight My "Good" Ear Feels Clogged and Possibly Has Ringing Now Too

Discussion in 'Support' started by Angel Dust, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Angel Dust

Angel Dust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi,

I've been lurking in this forum for a couple of months now.

I am 101% scared as I am typing this. I got tinnitus on my left ear, but I flew (3 hour flight) from Austria to Spain and now my "good" ear (right) feels slightly clogged and I am not sure if I also hear ringing on that side.

I just wanted to see my family for Christmas and now I may have ruined my good ear. I am crying as I type this.

Sorry for my English. It´s not my mother language.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Angel Dust ,g
      Lovely to see you now posting for support .
      It could be caused due to a few problems but have your ears checked for wax .
      It could be mucus in your Eustation Tubes so try steam inhalation see if it helps the clogged up feeling.
      Also if you have being playing music through earphones it can cause tinnitus for some people.
      The main thing is to try stay calm and relaxed as anxiety will feed your tinnitus and can cause it.
      You will get round the clock support so please don't cry as we are all here for you.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angel Dust

Angel Dust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @glynis

Thank you for your reply and support. God knows I need it. Nobody understands what I've been going through since the summer and my family and friends, all well-meaning of course, tell me it'll go away, meaning my T, no matter how much I keep telling them that there's no cure for it.

4. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Angel Dust ,
      Let them come on here with you and it will open their eyes for sure .

Keep relaxing music on around you when you need a break from your tinnitus.
      Are you sleeping ok ?

love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angel Dust

Angel Dust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I did last night and the night before, not so sure about tonight.

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Having background sounds or soft music can help or a fan .

love glynis

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angel Dust

Angel Dust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I might just try that.

As far as my "good" ear goes, I want to make an appointment with my ORL but I'm scared to.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Were you wearing any hearing protection? What kind of an aircraft was it (did it have a propeller)?

In any case, one thing I learned is that you need to wait for at least 3 months before considering the possibility that a spike will end up being permanent. Temporary spikes can last a surprisingly long time.

Full ear sensation normally goes away (but it can take many months for this to happen).

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Angel Dust

Angel Dust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    11. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Aren't active noise canceling worse for you when compared to passive noise canceling?

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They are worse because there have been some posts here of people who think that they got T as a result of active noise cancelling headphones. This is why I would never wear noise cancelling headphones without earplugs. Earplugs dampen all incoming waves. So if there are waves produced by the headphones that one can't even hear, they ought to be taken care of by the earplugs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Every time I read this forum I think "Wow, our ears are really problematic". So many people travel all the time and nothing happens to them! What kind of problem do we have?

I think I would only travel by plane to treat my tinnitus in another country, but surely I will not travel for pleasure in my entire life. You have to take too many precautions and it is nearly impossible to enjoy in those conditions.

There is no way to know if it will fade or not. But before you feel sad thinking "there is no cure", rembember that there is some treatments on the way (Neuromod, Susan Shore's device, FX322, etc)

I hope you feel better soon.