Terrified — Am I Going Deaf

Discussion in 'Support' started by srfames, Mar 13, 2014.

1. srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm shaking as I write this.

I got tinnitus, I believe after having ECT for major depression in December of last year. I'm a nervous wreck most of the time I have lost my self-confidents, I'm stressed and tense most of the time, I dread the thought of my tinnitus getting louder, I have no appetite (Lost a ton of weight) and I feel nobody understands what I'm going through, no one to talk too.

Over the last 2 months my hearing especially in my right ear has gotten worse, it's gotten worse in my left ear as well, and I'm terrified I'm going to go deaf.

I'm out of work right now, and I really could use some new friends on here to contact as support. So, if you can relate to me please contact me I really need support badly, I'm totally struggling.

Thanks

Jim

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Have you seen and audiologist or ent? If so what did they say? What do you mean by your ear has gotten worse?

3. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Tinnitus does not make you deaf.

Do you take any meds against depression and anxiety?

Here are many people supporting you.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Martin, yes i take Zoloft and when I get very anxious I take 1mg clonazapam

Jim

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I saw an ENT in January, havent seen one since

Jim

6. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Please go and see another ENT - if your hearing gets worse you need to get checked out again, could also be osclerosis.
      Tinnitus itself doesn't make you loose your hearing so there must be something else. Do you have cases of hearing loss in your family?
      also you must see someone about your anxiety and depression issues, maybe get some medication to help you, because your current state of mind definitely makes your Tinnitus worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi seal

I think seeing an ENT is a very good idea. I dont have hearing loss issues in my family. I am on medication for depression but Im pretty much medication resistant at this point. I twke 1mg clonazapam when the stress and anxiety get bad

Jim

8. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      I'm shaking as I write this.
      I got tinnitus, I believe after having ECT for major depression in December of last year. I'm a nervous wreck most of the time I have lost my self-confidents, I'm stressed and tense most of the time, I dread the thought of my tinnitus getting louder, I have no appetite (Lost a ton of weight) and I feel nobody understands what I'm going through, no one to talk too.
      Over the last 2 months my hearing especially in my right ear has gotten worse, it's gotten worse in my left ear as well, and I'm terrified I'm going to go deaf.
      I'm out of work right now, and I really could use some new friends on here to contact as support. So, if you can relate to me please contact me I really need support badly, I'm totally struggling.

Hi Jim
      I struggled with self confidence for much of my life so I can relate to you. Getting T & H courtesy of Meniere's really threw the cat among the pigeons because I was travelling pretty well up until that happened. I think you have to find your own peace somewhere which was what I finally discovered after a lot of turmoil. It can even be something simple as long as you feel at peace when you are doing/experiencing it. Maybe it's a hobby or interest or just nature but hopefully you understand what I mean. Anxiety and stress can make you focus on negatives and things that cause some distress in your life. In your case you think you are going deaf so the best way to deal with this is by having a hearing test with an audiologist. Even you local doctor/primary physician should be able to arrange this or it may be a case of just contacting a hearing centre. Hopefully once it's over it should put your mind to rest.

Greg

9. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Jim
      I got you in my prayers bud! I know how you feel; my T hit a year ago and I can honestly say it was the single most difficult thing I've endured in my entire life. The fact is, I endured (I'm sure no superman); you will too.

First, try to understand that T is placing your brain in fight or flight mode (against your will); in other words, your brain is doing the 'freak out' at a close to subconscious level. That is why your anxiety is so high and feels so out of control; eventually this subsides, but it's a long process. Hang in there; it takes a while.

The good news is that it doesn't rely on your confidence (there's no 'man handling' T, it just doesn't work that way). There is, however, you learning to be patient (even kind and understanding) with yourself -- besides, that's never a bad thing. Don't beat yourself up; consider it as if you just got hit by a bus, you would give yourself time to heal (you would be good to yourself). T can really mess with your mind and emotions (I remember how dark the whole world looked at the time); you must take this into account and give yourself some time to heal -- it will calm down (just not right away). Don't be in a hurry to draw negative conclusions about your situation or yourself; just remember, it's likely the T talking (freaking your brain out).

Try not to expect non-T sufferers to know what you are going through; I did that and only felt more isolated. It is nigh on impossible for non-T sufferers to really get it. The folks on this site understand (great bunch of bananas on this site); keep coming back here; we get it and like to help.

I struggled like mad at the onset of my T; I'm not very good at suffering (at all). Take heart, over the next few months it will start to improve. Meanwhile, turn to those things that relax you the most (be good to yourself); you have bit of healing to do.

Prayers Jim!

Mark

• Like Like x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mark,

That was great, I appreciate you responding. I'm tense most of the time, depressed, no motivation, and I'm out of work as well. I suffer from anxiety and depression anyway, and now it's elevated with the T.

I'm glad this site is available I know you understand what's going on, I'm afraid to back to work, I feel so insecure and nervous. But on the lucky side my T isn't usually there when I wake up in the morning and is mild until around 5 or 6PM then it starts to increase. I can sleep though, although it sometimes takes between 2 to 3 hours to get to sleep.

I'm shaky alot. I have little appetite and I worry about my future.

Jim

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:

Thanks Greg for taking the time to respond.

Jim

12. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hi Jim.

It is good you take something for the depression.
      I don't know Zoloft, but I take Mirtazapin (Remeron) in the evening.
      It helps me sleeping and is against depression.
      This has to be taken daily for a long time (months or even years).
      If it really becomes critical, I take something for calming down, like Tavor (benzo).
      But I try avoiding this and prefer finding someone to speak with.

Many people here helping out.
      Find ways to distract yourself. Listen to nature sounds, go out for walks. Meet friends and talk with them about your problem. Depression and anxiety is normal in first months after T onset.

All the best.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks. Iv'e suffered from anxiety and depression for years and haven't been able to get over it. T just made it worse.

Jim

14. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Jim,

I already have hearing loss so I sort of know where you are coming from. One of my fears when my tinnitus got worse in January was that I was loosing more hearing. The first thing I did was to have my hearing tested. Fortunately, there had been no change. I think you need to work with an audiologist on this. Perhaps you can find one who is also in an ENT clinic. Sort of one stop shopping. There are a few things that can cause you to have both tinnitus and hearing loss but tinnitus, as others have said, doesn't cause hearing loss. I also have a history of depression and anxiety. I'm just telling you this so you will know you aren't alone. The folks here have been very kind and helpful to me and they will be for you also. I know I get sort of frozen sometimes and don't know what to do. It's good to come here and say what's on your mind. It will help you get clarity and you will also get support and suggestions.

15. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I'm glad you have some quiet time! Mine is always there. There are times in the day when I am not aware of it. This is when I have something fun to distract me, but when the house is quiet, the ringing is loud. Get involved with something that makes your mind focus on something outside your body. Distractions are very helpful. When I'm at work, I hear the ringing less. Work might be good for you,

I believe the inward focus makes both the ringing and depression or anxiety worse. Work could be good therapy! If you don't feel up to full time, do part time. It certainly is easier to pay the bills with a job! There goes one source of anxiety.

Just thinking...

16. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I had the same fears at first. Still do since I was born deaf in the other ear. One thing that really helped me was getting a good set of headphones and using a hearing test app on my phone. They're not totally accurate but they can give you an idea of whether or not you are really losing your hearing.