tFUS (Transcranial Focused Ultrasound) for Brain Health & Possibly Helping Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by OptimusPrimed, Jan 15, 2022.

1. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      Has anyone tried tFUS? It looks like it is very promising. Ultrasound waves modulate potassium ion channels. This can induce neural plasticity and help with chronic degenerative disorders apparently.

I also did some digging on similar technology and have found that DARPA is working on a number of projects that seek to cure tinnitus.

Neuroengineering Methods and Devices for...

• Informative Informative x 4
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TNT - targeted neuroplasticity training is also mentioned in this video; similar approach to Shore et. al.

• Like Like x 2
    3. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Hi @OptimusPrimed, forgive me but was tinnitus mentioned in this video? Due to reactive tinnitus it’s difficult for me to watch all the way through.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Near the end with regards to vagus nerve stimulation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you have the link to the information about DARPA and tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. chinup

chinup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I’d be interested in this as well. Makes sense that DARPA would want to try and treat or cure tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Daystar
      No Mood

Daystar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      One of the most famous media sites in Finland recently published an article about focused ultrasound that might be of interest.

The article does not focus on anything ear related at all but I still found it quite interesting and thought I would share it with you guys.

Link:

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10013857

The article is in Swedish, but Google translate might do a pretty good job at translating it.

I'll give a TL;DR in English:

Focused ultrasound helps Parkinsons and essential tremor - will be used in Finland from May

Patients with Parkinsons and Essential tremor might soon get reduced symptoms as a new medical device at Åbo university-central-hospital will be bought.

It is quite revolutionary, the preliminary reports I've seen have been astonishing for patients with Parkinson's, says Janek Frantzén who is a neurosurgeon.

Results are noted instantly. The faulty brain activity that causes severe tremors in the patient may cease or decrease significantly as a result of the focused ultrasound treatment.​

Hopefully something like this can and will be used to treat other neurological problems (like tinnitus and hyperacusis) in the near future.

//Daystar