The Benefits of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kopesy, Nov 18, 2014.

1. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Perhaps you should retire from practicing psychology, I agree its a very demanding profession, but if you are burned out, then its time to move on, otherwise your patients are getting a bad treatment.

• Like Like x 2
    2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      That seems slightly hostile for a person advocating positivity :p

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    3. Davo
      Curious

Davo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      00/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I just said I will not burnout. You really need to take on a caseload of offending drug addicts for a few years then get back to me - do get back to me on that. The issue of the need for self care as a result of tinnitus is side stepped by your idealisation of what the helping profession does. How many rehabs does a person go through until they are clear? Exactly what is it that mean by "bad treatment" you mean bad treatment as in unethical or do you mean I am the third therapist who is sending them back to a community centre because others are willing to change and are on my waiting list? You can only help those who you can help - and they are those who seek to be helped not sent by the court system under orders. As an educated person I have learnt it is unwise to comment on professional issues I know nothing about. If my change in attitude toward my work assists in my managing my tinnitus better then it is long over due. Personally I take others comments here seriously and do not offer flippant retorts to issues or personal attitudes I do not understand or have lived through - I offer encouragement to those who are finding a way through the noise in their head.

4. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Wow, just wow, boy.

5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Reduce caseload.
      See above.
      As long as it takes - see Robbin Williams life long struggle with depression.
      I mean - "Now you get 3 sessions with me and if you have not made any efforts by the third I "let you go". It is a good thing to finally say to someone "I can't help you".
      Your tinnitus should not interfere with your work, especially if your work involves medicine - read "Letter to a Tinnitus Sufferer" by Dr.Nagler and you will see his decision to quit being a surgeon and why.

• Like Like x 1
    6. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Davo

As a practising psychologist and naturally going through your own personal battle with T as all of us here are, would you be happy to offer tips on how to manage ourselves psychologically through this battle or answer any questions about methods to help change our mindsets if change is required in order to improve.

7. Davo
      Curious

Davo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      00/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      By all means dont read what I have actually posted here. I work VERY hard with those who want to work and invest in their recovery fully - to the point of doing PRO BONO work with both them and their families. This if you care to know is in excess of 50 session. I charge nothing for their reports for court. PRO BONO work is very rare. My work focusses on those who can change and make use of what is offered. I set limits with those who do not wish to change. Quoting a letter from someone is not a useful retort. You know nothing about me but assume a lot and that is just sad.

So long positivity thread I misjudged what this was for.

8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ok fair enough, so what kind of "efforts" to get better are you looking for from a patient within the first 3 sessions?

9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Maybe people want to come and convey their honest feeling struggles in a safe environment where they won't be slammed for being negative.

You can be positive without condemning the people that are struggling and telling them to go start a "self pity thread". I don't know...this in itself seems pretty negative to me. You will find people struggling all over this forum. Isolating them or ignoring them, throwing them into one thread so the rest of the people don't have to hear from them doesn't seem like a very legitimate plan or idea.

Actually....I didn't think this thread was negative in any way until you arrived.

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. Davo
      Curious

Davo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      00/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I was communicating my feelings and thoughts about changes in my work and YOU shamed ME actually. You and the other member knew nothing about my work but simply personalised the information leading to a knee jerk reaction. Do you make positive comments here?

Despite the "likes" etc I have recieved I am out of here.

11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Please quote one example in this in this thread of these so called negative seeds...Just because some people have not found positivity in their tinnitus doesn't mean they are "negative seeds" or they are planting negative ideas. They have a right to post here as well.

If you were asking me if I make positive comments...maybe drop in more often. I try to help as much as I can in the condition I'm in. So yes I do, very much so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I find no benefit in my tinnitus. None. Nada.

And while I do love to learn, I never wanted to learn about tinnitus or any other horrible affliction.

This is not being pessimistic. It's being honest.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      I knew this would be a touchy subject.. what have I done? XD

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's
      Well. I guess it's a path to a healthier diet. I'm cutting coffee, alcohol, and salt. That's the only positive as far as i'm concerned.

15. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I consider this a thought experiment if that makes sense ?
      Sure , there are positive aspects to almost anything.
      Except maybe T . hehe :)

16. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @MattL , tell me why you feel that cutting out coffee and alcohol is positive ! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's

Yeah, yeah good point :)

• Like Like x 1
    18. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I always appreciated the human desing and thx to T I learned a lot about cochlea. But i do love to read and I don't need this stupid t to motivate me, but t teaches me how to be patient, how to avoid stress. I feel like I appreciate stuff more then I used to although I always had lots of admiration to everything that life brings. T changed me, no question about it, but falling in sleep with an extra noise will never be what my little silence was before.

• Like Like x 1
    19. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I have learned to love crickets , does that count ?

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      This is a tough one. Let me think about this for a while... :)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Nothing at all!

But as a general guideline for those new to tinnitus forums, avoid topics/qustions such as the following...

benefits of tinnitus
      does LLLT actually work?
      should I try TRT?
      is it safe to go to a concert (with earplugs)?
      what exactly is tinnitus?

...unless you want the see the next world war unfold in front of your very eyes.

(And I am pretty sure the last battle remains yet to be fought, although I will not be taking part in the next battle; I will just deliver the ammunition... :))

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      I don't see any benifits to T what so ever period ,never have. never will .My life was good till this came along as well as anyone's life could be . Wouldn't we all with T wish we could turn the clock back .? So no benifits to T.Who on this planet wants this 24/7 .?

• Hug Hug x 2
    23. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Well.....I for one feel that you have been a positive force on this forum, Marlene. You always post good encouragement....so thank you for that. I know this has not been a picnic for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      The Benefits of Tinnitus is when I have a relapse I know I will eventually habituate. See the irony in it? Currently in 7th month of another relapse but I know I will habituate.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Hmm, perhaps I should of titled it 'What positives can we take from this awful experience' somewhere along those lines.. because that's what I mean, not 'Hey guys, here's the pros to tinnitus & this is why we should embrace it'.. that isn't what I meant ^_^ apologies if I offended anyone with the error. With that said, does anyone have anything positive that they can say they've come away with from all this?

26. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Thank you Teri,were all in this together ,we all have our good and our bad days ,I know you have ,we both have this daily balancing going on ,and this soul destroying T .Dr Charlie joining TT is great,really helped out answering questions to the issues we have,didn't have to but he kindly did .This site is good .
      Take care Teri ,better days hey .xx

27. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Many people with deadly diseases, like cancer, and who have survived, are grateful of the experience, because it changed them and their view towards life for the better. I for example have these people in my family. Those of us who 'survive' T, i.e. habituate, probably can feel very similar.

• Like Like x 2
    28. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I don't think you need to apologize for the thread but you just need to be ready to hear all types of answers.we have a lot of members with strong opinions. Which is something I admire about TT. Anyway you might want to look at this thread. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-positives-of-tinnitus.3970/

29. Andrew

Andrew Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication or infection (I Reckon)
      I totally agree with this! Silly, little petty things don't annoy me anymore....I've developed a "So what?" attitude to them.

Also if my tinnitus went away, or even became less intense it would be the best feeling ever! :)

• Like Like x 2
    30. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I know tinnitus is a horrible thing that makes us suffer and a daily struggle, but if you had to name one positive thing that came out from you getting tinnitus what would it be? I think for me it would have to be finding this forum and some of the awesome people I've met here and their support.

• Agree Agree x 4