The Efficacy of Combined Treatment with Sulodexide and Melatonin in Patients with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by OptimusPrimed, Dec 2, 2014.

1. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      Abstract
      Tinnitus is the perception of sound in the absence of an apparent acoustic stimulus. A widespread and highly debilitating disease difficult to cure. Several treatments have been advocated for tinnitus in the last years, including surgery, pharmacotherapy, counselling, cognitive behavioural therapy, sound therapy, but unfortunately without definitive conclusions. The surgery treatments could represent an important therapeutic choice on specific subgroups of tinnitus with defined causes but obviously this approach represent an invasive treatment and it should be considered with extreme caution and then, alternative pharmacological options should be investigated. In this retrospective study 30 patients with tinnitus were treated with sulodexide (250 mg bid, in the morning and in the evening) and melatonin (3 mg in the evening before going to sleep) for 80 days. The evaluations were performed comparing different parameters at basal (T0) and after 40 days (T1) and 80 days (T2) of treatment. The results of Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) and acufenometry showed a significative improvement of tinnitus after treatment with sulodexide and melatonin. In particular, THI total score was reduced from 37±20 to 27±18 (p<0.001) and 21±19 (p<0.001) at T1 and T2, respectively. The percentage of patients with improved symptoms (i.e. reduced score at THI) was 76.7% at T1 and 90.0% at T2. Finally a significant improvement was also detected in the tone audiometry test. No side effects were observed during the treatment period. In conclusion, the combined use of sulodexide, a natural glycosaminoglycan with antithrombotic, pro--fibrinolytic and vascular anti--inflammatory properties used in the treatment of many vascular diseases, included the vertigo of vascular origin and melatonin, a neurohormone produced by the pineal gland and related to multiple physiological functions, confirms to an important and promising therapeutically option in the tinnitus management.

Sounds like it was helpful? I took Melatonin for a while but at the time my tinnitus was not bothersome as it is now.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. thesaint
      Confused

thesaint Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      @OptimusPrimed Hi b'ye I'm also a nflder. living in Golden bc from bonavista and suffering from T. Find this interesting and will try the sulodexide and melatonin.

3. Richard Wallace
      Thinking

Richard Wallace Member

Hi OptimusPrimed,
      is the sulodexide something you can get OTC, or by prescription. I've never heard of it.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      Prescription.

@thesaint good stuff buddy...I'm sure there's plenty of others who got T hunting in NL!

5. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      This is interesting, 90% had improvements after 80 days. Is a THI from 37 to 21 a lot? I don't know how that scale works.
      I wish there was more info from the study. How long did the patients have t, how did they get their t, was the improvement sustained.

6. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      From what I understand--TRT is deemed a success if there is a 40% reduction in the score of your THI (or a similar questionnaire.) So a decrease from 37 to 21 is about 40% and could be deemed a success. What makes me wonder about this study though is that there was no double-blind component--so measuring success by THI could just be the placebo effect in order--i.e. if you "think" you are doing something proactive to address your Tinnitus, it doesn't bother you as much. Something that TRT is just as capable of accomplishing. Would be nice if this really worked though!

7. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
    8. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Has anyone read or heard anything additional regarding this treatment approach?

9. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Has anyone tried this combination? If so, any success?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      I'm going to give it a try soon. It is not available in Canada in pill form.Thailand happens to have a manufacturer.
      There is an element of serendipity involved for me as I happen to be going back there late August.
      I will gladly update results later this year.
      Hopefully some positive news .

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2808686/#!po=2.77778

In this study, they were using 2 doses of 250mg in the morning and evening - is this correct? Because everyone else seems to mention 25mg. Bit confused.

12. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
    13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Just hit up my GP and asked for Sulodexide and unfortunately it's not available in Australia. If any other other Aussies know a source, hit me up. Wouldn't mind giving this a crack.

14. AmericanJosh

AmericanJosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure while doing work on home
      This is a retrospective study of 30 patients and the abstract contains errors, such as the ability to cure tinnitus. I wouldn't rely on this study.

• Like Like x 1