The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

This post will not be about that classic 1966 western with the same name. That stared: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach. However, if the title has sparked some interest then I’m pleased. Anyone that hasn’t seen this film please try to, as I think you’ll be in for a treat. Although I’m not a huge fan of westerns, I do like this one, along with that other great classic The Magnificent Seven, in which Eli Wallach appears again as the bandit Calvera. Those were the days when movies were movies no matter what the genre. Perhaps I’m being a little unkind, although I have a feeling I’m not alone with this thinking but that’s for another day.

A few members have contacted me to discuss their concerns about this forum and the undesirables that are able gain access to it. They offer no help I’m told and therefore, it seems their only purpose is to constantly berate and spread negativity about life with tinnitus and the various treatments for it. One member who has been here for quite a while, said he feels his recovery is now being affected. He has decided to reduce his postings in the main forum and stay in private messenger, which will be a prelude to leaving tinnitus talk for good. I believe this is unfortunate because the person in question always gives good helpful advice to people new to this condition and having to deal with his own difficulties.

Today, someone new to this forum mentioned he was advised not to visit these places and asked for my opinion, as his thoughts were contrary to this. I believe there are some very helpful people at Tinnitus Talk, that give good advice and encouragement to those that are having a difficult time with tinnitus. This can be of real benefit and can give a person hope and purpose that all is not lost. It is especially true for someone with early onset. Many of us know of the emotional roller coaster that one can feel because of not knowing what each day will bring, until it starts to settle into some sort of rhythm, and this takes time. For many it can be a wakeup call and a steep learning curve towards habituation.

My advice to people seeking help in this forum and others they might visit. There will always be people that will feel sorry for themselves and choose to live their life bogged down in misery and despair. These people not only have tinnitus but often have other emotional baggage in their life to deal with and want to vent their frustrations to the world. Forums and other social media sites are perfect platforms for this. Try not to take it on because these people find it difficult to change and they will attempt to break you with their negativity.

In tinnitus terms I would say that I’m veteran, having lived with it for over twenty years. I have been there done that and still don’t know everything about it. I have crossed swords with a few people in this forum that have tried to ruffle my feathers and this is to be expected. However, I remain stalwart and refuse to get into it with them and just ignore their condemnation and snide remarks. Put simply it’s water of a duck’s back. I understand this might not be so easy for some to tolerate and ignore but try not to let them get you down.

Tinnitus forums can be good, for there are often knowledgeable people there, with a wealth of experience to freely give to whoever asks for help. At times they can seem bad, due the negativity that’s purported. When this is backed up with personal attacks and abusive language it often looks ugly. Don’t respond because this shows more about them than it will about you and the kind of person they really are deep inside.

Michael

• Like Like x 9
      • Winner Winner x 6
      • Agree Agree x 3
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Michael,
      I have not been posting as much but have been reading posts....
      ....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @glynis @Sam Bridge
      Gynis, you have been through a lot and need time to get back on your feet. You will get there as you have an abundance of positivity and drive. This forum is a lot better with you.
      Sam, you are one of the good ones so don't let them break you down....:p

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thank you Michael and with you on here too :)
      ..lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work

I have seen the film @Michael Leigh , and very good it is...despite ( like you ) not really loving Westerns.
      The Ennio Morricone score is just off the scale !! One of my favourite musicians...and you can play him quiet.
      I am afraid what you have observed is a disease of modern life that comes with (un ) Social Media, Blogs, and Forums.
      Now that people can comment freely, they do... and hey...some of them are really nasty.
      Somehow you have to rise above it ( as you do ) and ignore it.
      There are clearly many good people on here, giving up their time to help others in distress.
      So I say thank-you for your help ( so far ) to those who care.
      You know who you are X

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Marijana
      Kick ass

Marijana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably standing (working) near speakers on a festival
      Couldn't agree more! :beeranimation:
      Thank you for your wise words :thankyousign:

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanky you @Marijana you are very kind:)
      Take care
      Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I'm more of a Magnificent 7 guy. You make an excellent point here. I'm new so haters don't come after me as a target for their anger. It must be hard when you try to help people and you get nothing but grief from some. I recognize patterns in posts and hit the block button sooner than later.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I prefer the Magnificent 7 also. The 1960 version and never get tired of watching the DVD. The ignore button has proved to be very useful on those that have crossed my path.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    11. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I might have to watch the Magnificent 7 if I can find it. The days of video stores are long gone....

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yep. Video stores are long gone. I have quite a collection of classic movies on DVD: Casablanca, The big sleep, The Long hot summer. Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, All That Heaven Allows and many more. Those were the days....

13. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Over here we have Turner Classic Movies. I love the black and white ones. The plots are the same as modern movies but without the special effects and less graphic violence and sex scenes. I watched the original Ocean's 11 a few nights ago and it was a hoot. I recognize some of your titles but haven't watched any of them except Casablanca. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Is Marilyn Monroe in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @New Guy

Most of my DVD movies are American. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof stars: Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor. Burl Ives, is Big Daddy. Marilyn Monroe isn't in it. Try and watch this film is great. Strangers When We Meet. Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak Great movie!! I like the black and white movies too: Betty Davis: All About Eve. Teacher's Pet: Doris Day and Clark Gable. These are movies. I am an avid reader too when my tinnitus allows.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's weird to watch the oldies with people like Newman and Taylor because they're so young. I only know them from later in their career.

I'll see if I can catch Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I like Kirk Douglas. When I go looking for movies I start with the classic movie channel. I'll keep my eyes open for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, All About Eve and Teachers Pet. I sometimes have trouble with films from the 50's with all the singing. Thank goodness for fast forwarding.

Have you seen In Harms Way with Kirk Douglas and John Wayne? I also like The Best Years of Our Lives.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      John Wayne and Kirk Douglas were great actors but haven't seen the film you mention but will keep a lookout for it. Neither have a seen The Best Years of our lives.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Newman and Taylor are young but the actiing is brillant. It's a flim that portrays all the negatives and postivies of the human personality. Greed, jealously, hate, prejudice and love [ in colour]

The Long Hot Summer, stars Paul Newman With Joanne Woodward, just before they were married. Splendid film. Orson Welles is the veteran actor and gives a great performace as land and property owner Will Varner. [in colour]

Teacher's Pet, will have you laughing throughout. Doris Day and clark Gable give an oustanding peformance. Black & White

Have you seen Trapeze? With Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis and Gina Lollobrigida. It's set around a Circus. [colour]

Strangers When We Meet. Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak. Just buy the DVD you won't be dissapointed [colour]

All That Heaven Allows. Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman. [colour}

The above films are classics, just type them into Youtube to see clips.

Michael

17. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Michael
      I very much agree with your post.
      When reading posts on here I am always interested to determine motivation.
      Is this person genuinely trying to offer support, kindness, helpful advice, a possible way forward?
      I will say there are some members who appear to pick arguments, criticise, demean, and demoralise.
      I rarely seek their company.
      Of course, we gravitate towards those who offer a helping hand.
      Dave x

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Jazzer

I agree with you entirely and for this reason I'm pleased the "ignore" button is available at this forum to deal with troublemakers.

Many years ago when I first got tinnitus I joined a tinnitus forum similar to this one. There was an ENT doctor there that had tinnitus. He spent a lot of time trying to help people that were having difficulty coping with this condition and I learnt a lot from him and other veterans at that site. There was a group of undesirables that would berate, argue and challenge every piece of advice that this doctor gave. Unfortunately that forum wasn't moderated like many are today and it wasn't so easy to ignore their postings which often contained profanity towards the doctor who eventually left as he couldn't take the abuse any longer.

Wherever you go in world, there will always be someone that doesn't like you for one reason or another, because it's impossible please everyone. Some people will get personal and when that happens I just ignore them.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    19. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Michael Leigh - I have to say that ‘Smart Alec’s’ are quite easy to outsmart.
      Because of their assumption of superiority I have found that it is very possible to catch them out.
      Their sizeable egos often get in the way of their common sense.
      They don’t bother me too much, because there is so much about life that they’ve never bothered to learn, to the point where their motivation is often both transparent and suspect.
      Dave.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Michael, you've given me a great list of films to look for. You are hitting all the big names back in the day. I'm going to start with Teachers Pet. I love a good comedy to get my mind off of life for a while. I don't know if John Wayne was a good actor or he really played one person very well. My favorite, and saddest movie, of his was cowboys.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is probably my second choice because I've heard the name before and it sounds like a classic everyone should see. Especially if we're going to start reviewing movies on TT.

Strangers When we Meet, I'll take your advice and just buy it. You haven't steered me wrong yet. ;)

My favorite type of movie is a "Stupid Comedy". Comedy's that just make you laugh. The best old movie I can think of that would fit my genre is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad world.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please be warned @New Guy These films and the others that I've mentioned: Betty Davis, All About Eve, are seriously addictive and will make you want to check out many more classics of a bygone era. Just type the titles into YouTube to get a flavour of what they're like. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Best of luck
      Michael

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    22. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whenever I watch old movies they feel 'fresher' and 'newer' than new movies. I'm not sure it makes sense but I get a kick out of them excluding the musicals of the 50's. I'm not a musical guy. I may have to get a Netflix subscription for my new hobby. :)

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am not into musicals either but I do have one on DVD and of course it's a classic: 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. A major box office hit back-in-the day. If you haven't seen it then you don't know what you're missing! Great storyline with good dancing and singing. Please don't be put-off by this. I assure you that it's a terrific film. Howard Keel and Jane Powell star. It is a must see. I have watched it many times and never get tired of it. Just type the title into YouTube.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    24. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wasn't there a TV series called 7 brides for 7 brothers in the 80's or 90's?

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I didn't know there was a series titled: 7 brides for 7 brothers until I looked on the Internet. I don't think it was shown here in the UK and have my doubts it could compare to the original film. Why do film produces do this is beyond me. Take a classic and make a series or sequel thinking it will compare to the original, it rarely does. The God Father is an exception I believe and there are a few others.

I am not a betting man but if I were, I would put money on it that you will not be disappointed buying 7 Brides for 7 Brothers on DVD as it's that good. You will keep wanting to view it again and again, just like the Magnificent Seven.

These are classic films and something very special. They made sequels to the Magnificent Seven: Return of the Seven, Guns of the Magnificent Seven, The Magnificent Seven Ride. in my opinion none were successful as the original film. Even though Yul Brynner returned in one of the sequels, the brilliant actor that he was couldn't save the film unfortunately.

Michael

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    26. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had no idea there were three sequels to the Magnificent 7. I'll see if I can find them. Sequels are never as good as the original but a great way for movie studios to make more money. I wish they could have let all of the original 7 live. Maybe they could have grazed one in the arm.

7 Brides for 7 Brothers was a corny TV series as far as I remember. It was targeted more toward women if I'm not mistaken.

I should get a Netflix subscription if I'm going to catch all these movies. Hopefully they have the oldies on Netflix.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @New Guy

I suppose it's okay viewing these movies on Netfilix but not owning the DVD you are missing out on a lot. There is so much background information about the Magnificent 7 and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on the DVDs that you will not get on Netflix believe me. For instance Yul Brynner got married on the set of the Magnificent 7 and shows behind the scene photos. Steve McQueen, played the character: Vin in the Magnificent 7. Steve McQueen was known as a troublemaker on the set because he wanted equal billing as Yul Brynner. He tried to convince the other actors: Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, James Coburn etc. That they would all look like idiots on the "large screen" because Yul Brynnner's horse was larger than there's. He also commented that Yul Brynner's gun was larger too...lol

Howard Keel who plays Adam in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, gives a detailed account of the making of the film and the problems with censorship in order to get it on screen. Very interesting.

Michael

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    28. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now you've got me wanting the Magnificent 7 DVD. There's something about that movie that's so easy to love. All the times I've watched it I never saw Yule Brenner as the lead. I saw McQueen and Brenner as equals. I always thought McQueen was a more popular actor than Brenner. I think of "TheKing and I" when I think of Brenner and I think that one was a musical. I've never watched the whole movie.

I wonder if I can find all 4 Magnificent 7's in a boxed set?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Steve McQueen was very jealous that Yul Brynner had the lead role. If you watch the film closely, especially in the early scenes where a salesman pays $20 to an undertaker to bury Joe the Indian. The undertaker refuses to accept the money because some people in the town are prejudice saying: old Joe, isn't good enough to be buried in "Boothill". Cut a long story short: Yul Brynner says: "Oh hell, I'll drive the rig" (hearst) up to Boothill. Steve McQueen steps forward and rides "shotgun" on the hearst.

On the hearst, McQueen starts playing with his "Hat" This was a clever trick to take the camera's attention away from Brynner and let the audience focus on him. He done this a number of times in the opening scenes - playing with his hands in the background. Yul Brynner got annoyed and said: "If you do that one more time, all I have to do is raise my hand and you will be off the film set" McQueen never done it again.

Steve McQueen was difficult to work with. Horst Buchholz (A German)the young man that played Chico, said he didn't like McQueen as he was always making trouble. When Steve McQueen was dieing at the age of 49, Yul Brynner went to see him. He apologised to Brynner for the tricks and trouble he caused whilst the Magnificent 7 was being filmed. He thanked Yul Brynner for telling the producer and Director of the movie, to cast him as Vin. If it wasn't for Brynner, McQueen wouldn't have got the part.

Michael

All 4 of the Magnificent 7 movies are available as a collection on Amazon.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    30. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Let's put the cowboy movie talk aside and straight to the point.

Oh Michael, I'm certain Threefirefour and myself and others who form community with us are the ones deemed "undesirables" in your book. Perhaps because we aren't blindly advocating limbic system desensitization, and self hypnotizing ourselves into feeling better. As well as the fact that we are constantly nagging for otological sciences to advance. We are just expressing our genuine feelings on how tinnitus and hearing loss ruined our lives.

It also seems to be a problem to some people that we have a fun thread where we post our silly content minding our own business. It actually helps take my mind off the depression caused by tinnitus.

Anyone can use the ignore user function to block me, block threefirefour, block Champ, even block research thread contributors and enjoy this site the way they choose.

I find it it sad you had to make this really long post as an attempt to get threefirefour and I removed from this community just because we hold a different view on habituation.

• Winner Winner x 3