The NO/ONOO- Cycle as the Etiological Mechanism of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by click, Aug 7, 2015.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      This made an interesting read - I was trying to find out whether nitrous oxide was ototoxic (dentists use it) & came across this.
      The NO/ONOO- Cycle as the Etiological Mechanism of Tinnitus

Apologies if it's already in a thread somewhere - I did a search and found no references to it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Just ran across this information:

Peripheral tinnitus is a good candidate for inclusion under the NO/ONOO cycle etiological mechanism, fitting each of the five principles of this mechanism.​

Cases of tinnitus are initiated by at least 11 short-term stressors increasing nitric oxide or other cycle mechanisms. Such cycle elements as N-methyl-D-aspartate activity; oxidative stress; nitric oxide; peroxynitrite; vanilloid activity; NF-kappaB activity; and intracellular calcium levels are all reported to be elevated in tinnitus.​

Tinnitus is comorbid with some putative NO/ONOO- cycle diseases. Most important, multiple agents that down-regulate NO/ONOO- cycle biochemistry are reported to be helpful in the treatment of tinnitus and related diseases. Previous studies suggested that NO/ONOO cycle diseases may be best treated with complex combinations of agents predicted to lower NO/ONOO- cycle biochemistry, and such combinations may be helpful in tinnitus treatment.​

Other inner-ear-related defects, such as acute or progressive hearing loss, vertigo, and dizziness, may also be NO/ONOO cycle diseases​

He has articles that list many remedies for peroxynitrite, too, which is one thing I really appreciate about him.​

I suppose there could be a variety of causes, though.​

The NO/ONOO- cycle as the etiological mechanism of tinnitus​

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      Interesting article. This paper was published in 2007. It seems like it gained barely any traction in the scientific community. I wonder why. Could be a valuable piece of the puzzle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Importantly it calls it disease, and not just a "symptom".

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      But tinnitus isn't a disease though. It is a symptom of brain/ear damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      I suppose, yes. But somehow that seems to diminish its importance. Maybe not. I still do not understand the lack of awareness / education around it. So infuriating.

In the end, yes, it is a brain damage/malfunction condition. ALWAYS. Because many, or rather most, people with hearing damage do not have tinnitus (or hyperacusis).

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've tried to gather information on which protocols Dr. Pall proposes for NO/ONOO diseases.

In this document, Dr. Pall describes an antioxidant regimen consisting of 5 different supplement formulas he co-sells (red flag, I know), "that together may assist in down-regulating this NO/ONOO- cycle mechanism."

The supplement formulas together contain more than 50 different ingredients.

I have calculated that the treatment protocol would cost 8,98 EUR per day to follow, which is quite expensive, imo.

From the attached article, this is the list of agents included in Dr. Pall's other protocol, which he seems to expound in his book:
      I found a supposed elaboration of Dr. Pall on another website:
      I have not been able to find the precise protocol including dosages, times to take, when to stop etc. If anyone could find it, I would greatly appreciate it.

As said before, the article I attached mentions other protocols by other physicians, do check it out!

If you haven't already, read the article of the OP!

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    8. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      I think you found your answer as to why, chief:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      Hello,

I did some searching around and this is what I found.

1. #75930 CoQ-Gamma E with Tocotrienols & Carotenoids: one capsule per day in the morning. Those with body weights over 100 lbs should add a second capsule at mid-day.

2. #75780 FlaviNox: one capsule, four times per day, three preferably with or after meals. Those with body weights over 120 lbs, should add a second capsule with each of three meals.

3. #75940 MVM-A Antioxidant Protocol, multivitamin mineral supplement with added N-acetyl carnitine: one capsule, four times per day, three preferably with or after meals. Those with body weights over 120 lbs, should add a second capsule, with breakfast and with dinner.

4. #75960 NAC Enhanced Antioxidant Formula: one each twice per day, with or after breakfast and supper.

5. #71250 & #73870 Super EPA (fish oil): one per day in the morning after breakfast. Those with body weights over 100 lbs, should add a second capsule at mid-day, taken with or after lunch.

6. #75910 FibroBoost (Ecklonia cava extract): one each twice per day, with or after breakfast and supper.

7. #70010 Buffered Vitamin C: one capsule, four times per day, preferably three with or after meals.

Three products that are to be taken four times per day, be taken at the same times, with three being taken with or after the three meals of the day and the fourth taken at bedtime.

For those intending to try all seven, that you start with the first, trying it alone for three days to see if it is well tolerated, adding second for three days, and so forth. By doing this you should find if there are any products that are not well tolerated, such that they can be eliminated for the time being and perhaps be tested later with either the same or possibly lower dosage. It will take 21 days, in this way, to get to the end of the initial period, into a period where all tolerated products are being taken.

These products contain:

Zinc, copper, manganese, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Magnesium, NAC, Fish Oil, Flavonoids, Carotenoids, Selenium, Acetyl-L Carnitine, Ecklonia Cava extract, Vitamin B6 including pyridoxal phosphate, Hydroxocobala-min form of vitamin B-12, Folic Acid, Niacin, Riboflavin, Thiamine, R-Alpha-Lipoic acid, Other B vitamins, Tri-methyl glycine, coenzyme Q10, RNA, Taurine.

The source for this information is here. It links to thetenthparadigm.org/arg.htm which outlines the information I posted above. Today this site no longer exists, but I was able to use an internet archive to see a snapshot of the information.

• Informative Informative x 5
    10. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh God, you're one of those paranoid freaks that think everything is a scam and the whole world is out to get you, aren't you?

Here's another conspiracy; Dr. Pall was actually PAID by the Washington State University to write this paper on tinnitus! I wonder what corrupt forces could be at play here?

The article was published in 2007, who says Dr. Pall didn't start selling his supplements well after that date?

Dr. Pall was a professor of biochemistry and basic medical sciences at Washington State University. He has published multiple papers about the NO/ONOO cycle. I think it's safe to assume there could be some merit to his theories.

But again, read the papers for yourself and critique his arguments there. Not these unsubstantiated attacks on his reputation.
      Hey, this is the antioxidant protocol described in the document I linked to above, excluding the buffered vitamin C. However, I believe this is something different than the Pall/Ziem protocol I was looking for.

After doing some investigation I found out that there are at least 3, maybe 4 overlapping yet distinct protocols inspired by Dr. Pall's research:
      1. Dr. Ziem's Chemical Injury Treatment Protocol, also called the 'Neural Protocol'.
      2. Dr. Pall's ARG [Allergy Research Group] protocol (the antioxidant protocol described above).
      3. Pall/Ziem's Treatment protocol. This protocol is alluded to in the 'Agents from Pall/Ziem Protocol Predicted to Down-Regulate NO/ONOO- Cycle Biochemistry' table. However, I have not yet found the actual protocol itself. Possibly described in his book 'Explaining Unexplained Illnesses'.
      4. Possibly another Pall protocol developed independently from Dr. Ziem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      There seems to be a lot of overlap in ingredients between the neural protocol, the antioxidant protocol and Dr. Pall/Dr. Ziem’s protocol. Is it possible they are one and the same or different updated versions?

12. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Grace E. Ziem, M.D. Surrenders Her Maryland Medical License
      I suppose Dr. Ziem has fallen from grace.
      I'm not entirely sure about the supposed Dr. Pall/Ziem protocol but the ARG and the Neural one are definitely distinct protocols.

For instance, the daily intake of B12 would be 180 mcg orally in the ARG protocol, and up to 5 mg nebulized in the Neural protocol.

13. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      @StoneInFocus, but really... who isn’t occasionally intoxicated during office hours? Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      IMG_1789.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I wanted to share it because I thought it was somewhat funny, although I do feel a bit bad for her. This is her side of the story where she denies the allegations.

Despite all of this I believe in the potency of the NO/ONOO theory. I also think Dr. Ziem's neural injury protocol is legit, but maybe a bit outdated (this page was last revisited on 2008).

It's a shame really. I suppose there has been lots of research published about tinnitus, hyperacusis, and (components of or elements pertaining to) the NO/ONOO cycle since 2015, let alone 2008. Maybe new supplements or even drugs have become available in that time?

I suspect the knowledge and materials (drugs, supplements etc) are already out there to support a treatment protocol powerful enough to realize a complete tinnitus remission, maybe even a cure. Could be an intricate protocol or maybe even a simple one. Could be an expensive protocol or a cheap one. It just needs to be unearthed and synthesized.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. MrChips13

MrChips13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medications
      OK, so I read the entire study. But I am not a scientist. I am confused by one thing. It has been shown in several studies that there are strong links between the use of Proton Pump Inhibitors (Omeprazole, Prevacid) and tinnitus, but the one thing PPIs do is suppress the creation of Nitric Oxide in both the digestive and endothelial pathways. The brain gets deprived of NO. But, this study seems to say that NO is a bad thing?

17. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      There isn't a strong link between Omeprazole and tinnitus. These studies are mainly bollocks.

18. MrChips13

MrChips13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medications
      Hardly. They are serious studies. It says “take for 14 days” on the box for a reason.

Are you saying NO has no purpose?

19. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      No, they aren't serious studies. It's a load of bull. I've taken Omeprazole every day for 17 years.

20. MrChips13

MrChips13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medications
      Lucky you. But they are very serious studies. You ought to know that not every drug affects every person in the same way. The fact that Omeprazole is highly ototoxic simply puts you at risk. It also greatly increases the chance of heart attack, stroke, and blood clots. That doesn’t mean you were going to get those either. It’s simply a risk factor.

But you also don’t answer my original question. It was simply about nitric oxide in regard to the study at the beginning of this thread.

21. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      There are no conclusive evidence that Omeprazole is ototoxic or has any of those side effects. These serious studies don't exist. Not everything you read on the Internet is true, I'm afraid. I don't have the foggiest idea about NO.

22. MrChips13

MrChips13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medications
      The studies exist. Look harder. But, what is the point of your arguing, unless you’re worried about it. If so, switch to an H2 blocker like Pepcid. If not, that is your choice. Not mine.

But Merry Christmas.

23. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Supplements and Protocols: Comparative Sheet

Hello everyone.

I've made a spreadsheet cataloging some common compounds in the three protocols from Pall and Ziem, and the quantities used in them. It also includes two other protocols (see Google for more info). Apologies in advance if I've made some mistakes.

Besides these developed protocols, I've also included treatment regimens from certain experimental studies on humans. This is for the sole purpose to provide a rough idea of the commonly employed dosage range of these compounds within the boundaries of relative safety. Achievement of statistical significance is NOT a prerequisite for inclusion of the study in the table.

Link to the latest version:

Google Docs Sheet

Instructions for editing request:
      • [title of the column (amount of days followed)] *
      1. compound name: X amount / Y times daily
      2. compound name: X amount / Y times daily --> Z amount / Y times daily**
      3. New compound***: X amount / Y times daily
      Example (made up data):
      • Kv7 channel opener in vitro: YES/NO [1]
      1. Quercetin: YES [2]
      2. Taurine: NO**** [3]
      3. N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine: YES --> EMPTY [4]
      • ARG Protocol
      1. Magnesium: 400 mg twice daily --> EMPTY***** [5]
      2. Magnesium Citrate: 400 mg twice daily [6]
      • Compound_Name
      1. Alpha-Lipoic Acid = Lipoic Acid [7]
      2. Gamma Tocopherol --> Gamma Tocopherol Acetate [8]
      • Pall/Ziem Protocol
      1. Gamma Tocopherol Acetate: 100 mg once daily --> EMPTY [9,10]
      2. Gamma Tocopherol: 100 mg once daily [9,10]
      [1] Reason why you think this should be a new column. Pros/Cons etc.

[2] Link to in vitro study, including quotation of the relevant part.

[3] Link to in vitro study, including quotation of the relevant part.

[4] This could happen when a compound is falsely labelled as something.

[5] Explain why the cell should be emptied. In this case it could be removal of a mistake.

[6] ""

[7] Only when the compound names are synonyms of each other. In this case results in row merge.

[8] Change row name into something else. Can only be used if made certain which cells need changing and which don't.

[9, 10] The row was renamed to gamma tocopheral acetate, but in this particular protocol gamma tocopherol was used.

Final remarks:

You can add any supplement you want, it doesn't necessarily have to pertain to the NO/ONOO cycle.

Protocols that employ a drug with a supplement or a combination of drugs are also welcome.

If I've processed your request and decided to honor it, I will rate your post with:
      • useful.png
      If I've processed your request and decided NOT to honor it, I will rate your post with:
      • helpful-hint.png

---