The Past Few Days My Tinnitus Reduced to a Very Low Volume but I'm Still Paranoid

Discussion in 'Support' started by Contrast, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      My tinnitus might be going away... but i'm still paranoid of it coming back

I had this happen before with reduction in tinnitus then it goes back up to it's normal volume of 35 decibels in my right ear and the low but very high pitch and reactive tinnitus in my left but it didn't stay for long. Now I had close to three days of relief

If it goes away there's always a chance it will come back or get worse until theirs a future therapeutic to reverse hearing loss arrives. (hopefully)

I know to avoid headphones but it's hard when i live in a small apartment and can't listen to music at night when I want too. :( Sometimes I do anyway it and a few times I did have a temporary increase in the volume that lucky went away, but like Michael leigh says headphones are a risk for us with SNHL & tinnitus.

I'm just expecting the possibility of the tinnitus coming back, maybe I'm slightly pessimistic but tinnitus isn't something that plays fair.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Contrast,
      For now I would just enjoy every minute and take each day as it comes as I think you are now fully aware of protecting your ears when you need to and aware of headphones can spike tinnitus for some people.

Sitting on the sofa with hubby watching Englnd play...forgot hubby shouts goal at the top of his voice..now wear are my plugs !
      love glynis

• Like Like x 5
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Your paranoia is totally understandable. But it sure seems to me you've reached some kind of "sweet spot", where your fluctuations are often enough and notable enough to let you know there is fairly significant MOVEMENT. For me, that's something to be celebrated, even though movement rarely happens in a straight line.

Last week, I experienced (after four months), a brief 2-day reprieve from the intensity and volume of my tinnitus. Volume went down about 25%, and intensity went down about 50%. Though it came back to "close" to baseline, I have to say I'm highly encouraged that I had even that brief respite.

Some recent--fairly significant--success stories I've read here had time intervals of 8 months, 9 months--and in one case four years--before they noticed ANYTHING. The fact that you're experiencing such notable improvements after less than those time intervals seems to be highly encouraging. -- Celebrate it. But also be aware it's unlikely to improve in a straight line. However, it's the trajectory that counts.

A brief philosophical thought: If tinnitus/hyperacusis is some kind of life test on patience, then I think we should all be considered for sainthood! ;)

All the Best...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      it is great that your t is fading ;)
      one advice- don't use headphones! i would even throw them away so you won't be tempted to do it ;) i even threw mine away- i didn't use them much, like once/month maybe or less and still got rid of them so i simply have no headphones which i could use and that's just it :)
      don't risk it...my t faded a lot too and i would never ever trade the soft t which i have now for the t i had 3 months ago (even then it was rather mild, maybe moderate sometimes). anything can happen, i know it but don't risk it with headphones, it is not worth it

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      it is normal to be paranoid, I wasn't and freaked with recent spike, hopefully with you it'll just disappear.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I hope it goes away and stays away.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. JLong
      Haunting

JLong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Congrats! I hope the trend continues and you can have your deserved break

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      @Contrast
      Hey,
      so it means that even hearing loss related tinnitus can go away? Or at least become almost not noticeable? :)

9. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      All this anti-headphone rhetoric. I need them for work, and not to mention I bought a new workhorse pair of Sennheisers for transcription purposes a week prior to my accident last month.

10. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      That’s gets news man, how is it now? I’d enjoy every sweet moment....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It's understanable. I've had T for one and a half year, and during this time my T has been going away completely and coming back, and it has behaved exactly like this for the whole one and a half year. Hopefully yours is going away permanently. Even if it would come back, the fact that it's reducing in volume and fading away is a good sign, even if it would come back by itself. Maybe it's your ears healing that way or whatever part of your body thats responsible for your T.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Enjoy the silence (or near silence)...you should be cautiously optimistic.
      Try not to be too paranoid, but you should also avoid any celebrations at this point...we all know how unpredictable this POS tinnitus can be.

13. Beg321

Beg321 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      What was the reason of the initial tinnitus? Mine is sudden onset sensorineural hearing loss?

How is it now?

Thanks.