The Pete Townshend Experience

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JamesNOLA, Dec 5, 2017.

?

Which of these fantasies have you had since you got silver needles in your ears?

1. Reaching into your own ear and grabbing a wax-plug and pulling it out until the tinnitus stops

2. Compressing your head like a zit until the tinnitus pops out of your ear

3. Having a genie grant you one wish

4. Being on a deserted beach with a golden pill that would make it go away for two weeks

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      I played in rock and blues bands most of my life, through college and graduate school and well into my thirties. More than once I left gigs at three or four in the morning with my ears ringing, a muffled quality to my hearing for a day or two. I didn't think much of it. I was careful to insist on a quiet stage, to carry ear-plugs in case I needed them. The ringing happened; but it always went away.

The night it all went south was when I was playing in a grungy hipper-than-thou club in the New Orleans suburbs; it was the kind of place where people get stoned outside and then come in and slouch-dance for hours. The guy running sound that night was stoned when we got there, and as we got ready for sound-check I could just feel something was wrong.

The club was a small shoe-box with twenty feet of dance-floor and cinderblock walls: we could have done the gig without mic-ing our amps or drums. There was no light except for psychedelic purple sparkles. I was standing right next to the drummer and I couldn't hear him as we played, because the guitars were so loud: I saw his cymbals shake and shimmer in the weird light, but all I could hear was blaring guitars. I said so. The sound-guy gave me a thumbs up and a wicked grin. "Oh, I gotcha covered," he said.

And he cranked the drums up.

If my fingers didn't know the songs by feel, I wouldn't have known what I played. It wasn't music. It wasn't even "noise" in the usual sense. It was like some kind of sonic hell, pressure on pressure, waves of it. For a two and half hour gig.

The ringing and the muffling were bad that night, and they didn't fade so quickly.

And from that night on, each gig got progressively worse for me until I had to quit two bands: it was too exhausting, and too frightening, the way that the recovery took longer.

Then I woke up one morning with my new best friend: 75 hundred cycles of sound every second. Forever. Till death do us part.

I began to think of it as the Silver Needles, like constant pricking in my brain. It reminds me at times of those glass-harps, the ones where you wet your fingers and slide them around the rim of a crystal goblet, except that the noise rises to a shriek of pain that you can't slide out from, and you can't shatter the crystal.

So I'm new to this forum, and joining out of a kind of tribal instinct: I say to my family and friends, "My tinnitus is really bad today," and they make sympathetic noises. But they can't know. They can't possibly know what it is to miss silence so much. Or to scour the Internet for any hope of a cure, to wade through the charlatanism and the quackery and the opportunists.

Mainly, they can't know what it's like to want to die because you can't hear silence anymore. The despair ebbs and flows, but it's particularly intense tonight; the silver disease has the upper hand on me just now.

Anyway, I guess I'm just thinking it's better to say it to people who get it.

Thanks for listening.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @JamesNOLA ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      Have you had your hearing checked recently to see if hearing aids would help you?
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Welcome!

The main component of my T is also around that frequency. I have a bunch of secondary components too, but they aren't as intense as that one.

Your post exudes wit, and I suspect it will help you handle your T gracefully. I acknowledge your suffering though, and I'm sorry you are in a bit of a trough. We are here for you and we understand.

Have you tried any type of therapy? What does your hearing look like? (audiogram)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      I had a pretty full workup last year, and my hearing seemed to be pretty good.

Unfortunately, sounds produced by nature aren't the only things I hear really well.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You might look into rTMS. Search this forum for threads about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      Thank you for the welcome.
      I actually wrote a pretty dark song about it called "75". It was a rotten song that sounded like a self-pitying junior-high emo-journal (which is how I felt at the time): but as it fades out I digitally produced that tone we know so well. A few people I played it for got visibly uncomfortable, one made a motion to turn off the music.

Propaganda win.
      Same: I've got occasional chirrups and sometimes a lower tone and now and then on horrible days a sort of harmonic overtone that I call "Melba Goes Off The Chain At Carnegie Hall." That's the one that makes life barely worth living.
      I had one done a year ago: I'll try to dig it up. Basically my hearing is average or a little better than average for my age.

As for therapy, I've had a little success with diet control: low sodium and taking vitamins. But it's very, very difficult to know how much of that is placebo effect, or coincident with a low ebb in the T. I'm sort of partial to good double-blinds, but I'm also not above embracing a good placebo effect.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      Will do, Bill. Many thanks.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      But please do keep in mind:
      I believe that the chance that rTMS leads to an improvement is higher than the chance that it leads to T getting louder, but the probability of it getting worse is certainly real.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      Good advice.

I've had mine since 2013, and I've tried a few reprogramming apps, at least one of which either contributed to or caused or coincided with a marked worsening. So I'm pretty careful about how I monkey with my neurons; like disposing of nuclear waste, I find it best left to the professionals. But this is a good reminder. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So sorry @“JamesNOLA.
      I’m a traditional jazz trombonist (aged 75) in the London UK area.
      Still playing, with plugs in, but seriously having to consider packing up.
      Best wishes
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 1