The Positivity Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      Tom71, Yes it’s wonderful when tinnitus is less noticeable.
      Distractions from Tinnitus
      City noises, buses, cars, trains, and planes
      Drinking tea while listening to the rain
      Soft music filling the sweat air of spring
      Birds with many diverse songs to sing
      Petting your pet who’s sitting on your lap
      When someone or something can make you laugh
      Taking a drive to the mountains from town
      When a good book won’t let you put it down
      Weddings and Anniversaries to share
      Your concern for others because you care
      Hearing something funny that makes you smile
      A chat on the phone with loved one’s awhile
      Walking the dog or the dog walking you
      my distractions from PT , just a few
      TinA#7oct

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I grew up watching Transformers and Voltron. The best cartoons ever made in the best decade ever made. I have all the original transformers cartoons and all the original Voltron cartoons. It's always an amazing feeling watching these amazing cartoons....

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree, there is something magical about them... colourful, funny and epic in the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      Alex Prime
      It is nice to have memories about things we were and still are pationate about. T fades away during these times.
      TinA#7oct

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autobots TRANSFORM & ROLL OUT!!!! Those words still give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, over 30 years later :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes and Peter Cullen has such fatherly voice... like all your problems gona disappear and you'll be taken care for.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      Husband, family and friends are very supportive. Doctor and staff have been very helpful. One day at a time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Estefan
      Breezy

Estefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise exposure
      I graduated college with a 3.7 GPA out of 4.0. I did not let tinnitus stop me!

• Like Like x 8
      • Winner Winner x 3
    9. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      When I start feeling sad, I think about my cousin that has liver cancer. He is dying and it's so sad.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It's realistic to believe cochlear hair cell regeneration will be an available treatment for hearing loss and tinnitus in the next 5-15 years.

Susan Shore UoM device for reduces the volume of tinnitus temporarily could be available under 5 years. 2-3 maybe.

The Trump FDA is going to be less regulated to allow more things through and quicker.
      Because tinnitus and hearing loss are so common among veterans I believe the US Government will show interest once things advance in the years to come.

Pawel Jastreboff is no longer viewed as an authority in the tinnitus community, he's a living fossil collecting dust from very dark times. He literally knows his days are numbered and no amount of propaganda can stop actual scientist from doing there job. Investors know that advances in the field of hearing regeneration are an untapped Goldmine.

There's still work that needs to be done such as Google Search and especially Youtube search results for tinnitus showing clinical trials, research pages instead of outright snake oil like Youtube does.

Researchers like Roland Schatte, Charles Liberman, Susan Shore, Josef Rauschecker and more have done amazing jobs explaining the processes involved in tinnitus, hyperacusis and hearing loss, ect

Because things are finally being understood that is how a treatment happens. @threefirefour

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      You know it!

maymay.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Ismael

Ismael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold, flu
      I have had tinnitus for six months, at first I was scared, well, I discovered this last season not preventing sleep if I hear when you wake up at night, the brain obeys your thoughts if you have lost the fear of an interior noise , day by day, month by month, that sound will be part of you, I'm not talking about obvious things like good nutrition, sports, social life and goals and dreams in life, it's not going to stop What we want, I can think that the noise will go but it is a thought that does not depend on me and is not constructive because it keeps you in obsession, maybe yes or no, the loss of fear is the key to live and my tinnitus is strong , but I was surprised to see how the days go by and how I lose that fear, when doing anything, only one thing for me at this moment is necessary and it is something of masking before going to bed, so I reinforce that idea in all of read, lose the fear of listening, and right there every day they will be more insensitive, believe me they will live many years and in this way they will be stronger for many other things that they did not imagine in their life. Sorry for my English

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont Know Just Appeared
      posting positivity helps. 3 months in, and as most I have gone from the darkest places you want to go. to seeing there is an end. and things do improve but it takes time. there are bad days on the way, one step forward and two back on some days. keep a diary or log your feelings at good or bad times helps "not your responce to tinnitus how loud it is etc" but how you feel sad angry pissed off and after 3 months my notes are more "I now hear it feel fine" and it and say "Its a distraction and pisses me off" if thats 3 months hopefully in another 3 months it may be shadow of a noise that i dont even bother to aknowledge. and like many when you do start get over it the last thing you would want to do is go back to the these forums to remind you how traumatic it is when it first appears.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I found out what is causing my somatic tinnitus. None of my radiological tests showed evidence of what my problem was other than a straighten c spine. Professional links that I have posted does explain the C1 and C2 interactions to somatic tinnitus. The C5 and C6 is often a cause as nerves can get entrapped. Neck muscle therapy including the use of hot and cold made my situation worse.

I tried a series of pressure points on the bottom of my lower jaw over the last 5 days. I mention this to another by email where we both went to the same physical therapist. He tried it and his tinnitus is completely gone. My tinnitus is back down to baseline from first onset (subjective) ear syringing. It was jaw pressure that's been causing my newer somatic tinnitus since I had a front lower dental implant placed. Problems still exist such as TMJ, throat, face tightness and moving tongue. I can now move my neck.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Greg, I am so happy that you can now move your neck, wonderful news.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Thank you Emmalee. Shorty after I posted above I received a call from the university vet where my sweet loving female calico cat was under care. We had hope, but her kidneys got the worse of her yesterday and I had to make a humane decision.

My tinnitus is now as loud as ever. I've never been able to cope with end of life for my loving pets, but this time with tinnitus along with all my physical problems it's more than difficult. I've witnessed end of life for many patients and saw the eyes of family members. Life is precious and I would like to ask my friends to please spend time with your love ones and tell them that you love them.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    17. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Greg Sacramento ,
      So sorry hear about your cat and sending lots of love your way ..
      love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know how you feel. I'm sorry for your loss. It was a very tough decision you made, You shall be in my prayers....

I have 2 sick dogs that need meds around 2-4 times a day and it can take a toll on us. Animals are wonderful little people and it hurts so much to lose them....

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You are most welcome, Greg.

I am terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved cat. You made the only choice you could, it is tough, I speak from personal experience. Anyone who has had to make the humane decision completely understands your pain. :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Yes, the pain is real fishbone. Bless you for taking such good care of your pets. :puppykisses:

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      Need to share this. I just had a few seconds of complete silence. I don't know how it happened our why but boy to hear silence again after 4.5 years was nice. My T has returned but it just made my day to get a moment of peace even though I'm not that bothered by my T anymore. Maybe more moments of silence is coming? And if they do I will appreciate them even if it's just for a few seconds like today!

• Like Like x 1
    22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Wow @Rainbowsheep, that's amazing. I sincerely hope you do have more of those moments--which seems like a good possibility to me. -- Thanks for sharing!​

• Like Like x 1
    23. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      Thanks for sharing the good news. You give me hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Danikam
      Happy

Danikam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy/unknown
      Happy Tuesday Friends!!!!

If you had a rough night last night or woke up with that "another day of T" sad feeling I'm sending you a hug!!!

I remember many a morning waking up feeling sad.....honestly it felt like waking up after a great loss like the death of a family member...because I WAS grieving...grieving the loss of my joy, my peace, my sanity!!!

When your in the fight to make it through this it can be so draining....I know, I've been there.

What worked for me was staying busy....and look, I get it....your already so tired and thoughts like I can't stay busy for the rest of my life cross through your mind. Here's some good news...it's not forever...it's for now!!!
      If you want to get better, if you want your life back you HAVE to fight.

One thing that really got me down was that I love to read...reading is something you do in the quiet and quiet wasn't my friend. Then I remembered that one of my most favorite places to read was on the beach....by the ocean.....the ocean isn't known for how quiet it is, lol
      So I got a glass of wine, made my room super comfy with clean sheets, fluffed pillows and just the right lighting...got my favorite book and put on some ocean sounds!!!!

The lesson for me was this.....I can still enjoy the things I use to but I may have to make some adjustments...I needed to let go of what I lost and start getting creative with ways to get back my joy because that's what I really wanted...happiness!!!!

Once I started to realize I could be happy and have T the shift from not ok to ok started to happen.

Start small....you don't have to win the war today but I'm sure you could pick a battle and kick Ts ass!!!!

One thing at a time, one day at a time.

If you haven't smiled in a long time make that your goal today.....what's one thing you could do today that would put a smile on your face because if smiling with T is possible, well hell.......anything is possible!!!

Xoxo

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. John Young
      Dumb

John Young Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April, 30th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      One thing about having this condition is that you learn to be positive and thankful about the good things in life. We are strengthened by our suffering. Don't put all of your stock in mankind's ingenuity, BUT we may be just a few years off from a cure, maybe even sooner. I love you all, you are strong, stay strong.

Just imagine how incredibly fortified in spirit we will all be if they figure out that stem cell LGR5+ fx 322 goop or whatever, and we go to a clinic and get it and a week later we have silence. We will be among the most emotionally strong individuals on the planet, because most of us already are, but we will also be very happy and a light to our fellow brothers and sisters.

• Like Like x 2
    26. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Are jokes encouraged in this thread?

Okay I've got one.

You're a contestant with tinnitus on Wheel of Fortune, you ask for a vowel, and instead of listening to the audience calling out "A!", your head is telling you to pick "eeeeeeeeeee".

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If we were to win the lottery, it would feel even better. Our future is bright...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    28. JimJimJalabim
      Lucky

JimJimJalabim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/23/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's now been a year. I was hesitant to post this to the Success Stories page, but I consider it a success for now in many ways.

The depression and anxiety, or Tinnitus Distress, related to the ringing is essentially gone; alas the tinnitus remains, perhaps lessened, but absolutely not worse. The Hyperacusis has dramatically lessened, if it remains at all. I'm still unsure as to the cause. No normal hearing loss, it's in the 14-15k range, and while not deafening, is noticeable over anything that isn't white noise or a shower. I never relied on masking, never had trouble sleeping.

As with many, the first weeks, months were terrible, with regards to the depression and anxiety. The Back to Silence method helped a lot, and one of Dr. Hubbard's CBT for Tinnitus Distress webinar videos. My appetite, drive, and general happiness returned within some weeks. Ended up going to a therapist for somewhat unrelated issues, and brought up the Back to Silence Method and other CBT and mindfullness exercises; therapist assured me that those are the ideal things to do.

I knew habituation could take months, if not up to two years to happen. It happened anywhere between 5-6 months in, in regards to it not effecting me anymore. I still check for it from time to time. Some days it's more noticeable than other days. Some days I can barely hear it at all, even if I try.

When I do hear it, it no longer upsets or depresses me. It just is. Worse things have happened in the mean time that I got through.

I don't know if I'll be back. Maybe if it completely goes away.
      If it gets worse, I'll know how to handle it.

Life is good.
      I love you all.
      Take care.

• Hug x 6
      • Like x 5
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    29. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hi everyone, I am new to tinnitus, only several weeks in. Not the world anyone wants to enter, but I did, and what I found at the start was an understandably pretty dark, forbidding, unrelenting touch of cruelty. Then I found something that helped me tremendously. As I surfed the waves of the internet, by happenstance more then good management, I found Tinnitus Talk, and a light into the darkness. It was all those people who participate in this forum, those who run and created this forum, and those who have offered insight, thoughts, and support.

I found those people who helped me realize it was more than just me, that there are those who live with, survive it, but also leave it behind them in the rearview mirror of life. It was the good, and even the not so good, stories that gave me not only an insight, but also something more important, hope. As noted in the movie Shawshank Redemption 'Hope is a good thing.'

To all those who responded, have made comments, and just wrote a story, or asked for support, I thank you. So for me the good news is that years ago @Markku created Tinnitus Talk, operated it, and people started partaking in it. I have bec0me a benefactor already, and intend to do so regularly.

My tinnitus is in both ears, and while several days ago it rang continuously for 2 days, though at different volumes, at times now it is appears to disappear, at other times I don't notice it, at other times I do, providing me, with caution, a bit of hope. I know the road ahead is only just entered, and I am not even out of Munchkin Land on the Yellow Brick Road. But at the very least I feel there will be a number of Scarecrows, Tin Men and Lions with support, as I will try to do likewise for others.

Well I guess it is time to go back to reading Melville's Moby Dick (quite a story, and an interesting read).

Thanks,
      John CC

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      My brothers and sisters, don't forget to have a

200-9.gif