The Positivity Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just some encouragement for anyone who is new to T. I've just hit my one year anniversary and it's shown huge improvement lately. I still have this baseline hum/static that fluctuates a bit, but the high-pitched hiss and drill sound that was incredibly reactive to anything has been virtually gone. Sometimes it comes back at night a little bit, but every morning I wake up it's like pressing reset and I'm back to baseline every single time. I would say that the high-pitched drill was what always pushed me over the edge, and not having to deal with that everyday is like a heavy burden lifted.

I also had some level of hyperacusis that was starting to affect me negatively, and was afraid of going to restaurants with friends and doing anything 'normal'. Now I live in Hong Kong, the noisiest city ever, and walk outside everyday through the loudest environments and I'm fine.

Hold on tight, you can and you will get better. I thought after 6 months it meant I was stuck with it forever, but 6 months is hardly any time at all in this world.

• Like Like x 11
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      CanStillEnjoyLife.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      3_walrus_kiss.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      It is that time of the year to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let's have a positive outlook for 2020. May your tinnitus fade or disappear in the coming year. Enjoy the holiday season!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2020 -...

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or whatever you are celebrating! May all your spikes be short and your blessings be many.

Me, I'm struggling with my breathing today. Just one of the side effects of my present state which I thought was consigned to the past. And I have a little spike of course from festivities yesterday. But we're not going anywhere for the next 48 hours so it's ok.

Peace to all.

• Like Like x 1
    6. CAgirl

CAgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 M80 Firecrackers
      I just read parts of this thread and it’s really good! I would like to re-ignite it. Was the last post really in December?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Me too! Didn't even know it was here. It's a great idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      All up for more Positivity Thread!

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Is positivity important?

Tinnitus is a complex condition that comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. If hyperacausis is present it can cause additional problems depending on how severe it is? I believe if one is able to adopt a positive mindset towards tinnitus and life, they will have the most essential requirement to help them through the habituation process and beyond. This will help to keep negativity at bay even in the downtimes should they arrive.

Negativity and the belief that nothing can be done for tinnitus can start to take its effect as early as going to Dr. Google or to be told by a GP: “It’s tinnitus, nothing can be done you have to learn to live with it”. It is unfortunate that someone who’s probably very stressed and anxious to have his or her worst fears confirmed by a healthcare professional that should know better. This is negative counselling and it shouldn’t be done.

Some people will visit a tinnitus forum in an attempt to allay any fears and prove to themselves what they have been told or read about it is wrong, by listening to people that have the condition and hopefully they will be told it does get better and it is curable. The views expressed at forums are often mixed and vary quite a lot. By now a person’s stress level might have increased or decreased Depending on the information they receive either by direct answer to a question or reading members posts. This can induce calm and a feeling of relief, or do the complete opposite and make them feel worse.

I believe visiting a forum regularly can be helpful for some. The feeling of camaraderie that exists between like-minded people can be reassuring especially when family and friends don’t understand which is often the case. However, it isn’t without its drawbacks. Such a community is open to all and sundry, and thus positive and negative thinking people. Therefore, I believe it is important to try and focus on positivity. Seek advice from members that have had tinnitus for a while and habituated. This is not to say that advice from newbies shouldn’t be sought too. I have read posts from people just a few months in with tinnitus, and been taken aback by the maturity, depth and understanding that they bring and makes a veteran like me smile in approval.

The thing to try and avoid is negative reinforcement because tinnitus and hyperacusis can be stressful conditions all by themselves without adding to them. Some people are sensitive to sound and take it upon themselves to be wearing: foam earplugs, noise reducing plugs or earmuffs at every opportunity. I have seen what this overuse can do to some people. It can instil fear and if one isn't careful phonophobia. A fear of sound.

Treating tinnitus and hyperacusis takes time usually many months and should be backed up with positive thinking. Positivity reinforces the belief not to be fearful of tinnitus and hyperacusis. Overuse of hearing protection sadly reinforces negativity and fear. It is for this reason I regularly advise people to read the positive articles that I have written on tinnitus and they are in my “started threads”. They are to be treated as therapy and are a form of counselling and should be read often to reinforce "positive thinking". Without a positive attitude negativity is allowed to get hold and can become overwhelming. I also advise people to read the success stories written by members on the "positivity thread" and there are many. Again, this reinforces positive thinking. One has to work at this if they want to improve and get better.

Michael

Life is problematic and with a condition like tinnitus at times it can be overwhelming. This can happen in the early stages of onset but usually improves with time. There is nothing wrong with feeling down and occasionally negative, just try not to make it become all consuming. Always talk to your doctor if you feel your situation is becoming too much.

• Like Like x 4
    10. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Nice points by Michael above. I thank @CAgirl for bringing this thread up again. It is too bad it can't stay as a Sticky thread to stay atop of the support forum as it used to be. The last few posters just reinforce the point that new and struggling members will find the light in reading this Positivity Thread to see that life can still be enjoyed even with tinnitus. It stands out in the Support forum as the rest can be loaded with bad or sad news. This Positivity can help counter that. I appeal to the forum admins to reconsider reinstating this thread to a sticky status.

@Hazel, is there any reason why this can't remain a sticky thread? If not in the Support forum, perhaps it can be relocated to the Success Stories. This is a long thread loaded with helpful posts and shouldn't be buried in the mountains of other posts. My 2 cents.

Why positivity will help the recovery process? Because positivity will calm our nerves and reduce stress and anxiety which are bad for tinnitus. Why? Because by staying positive and calm or hopeful, we can prevent the limbic nervous system and the Amygdala from taking over to cause us functioning in fight or flight mode. As such the brain will sensitize all our senses toward the ringing making it sound a lot more intense and worse. In comparison, by staying positive the pre-frontal cortex will take over processing the ringing stimulus. The cortex has the role of suppressing fear and keeping our reaction towards things more normalized than if we are in 'fight or flight' mode. So this gives the brain a chance to habituate to tinnitus faster and easier as the pre-frontal cortex will not treat tinnitus as a threat, and by so doing the brain doesn’t have to magnify the tinnitus sensation and zoom on it all day. Therefore, being positive and hopeful is not just a wishful thing. It actually can affect the way the body and the brain will function, the parasympathetic system and pre-frontal cortex vs the limbic system and amygdala (the fight or flight center). So it makes sense to choose to stay more positive and hopeful as this is a psychosomatic battle we are having with the tinnitus bully. Let’s choose wisely our mental weapon against tinnitus. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I agree with much of this piece.

My positivity translates itself into
      ‘searching for a practical way forward.’
      We know there is currently no treatment, much less a cure, or any product that can reduce Tinnitus noise by as much as one single decibel.
      Obviously we need research to continue a pace.
      But where do we look for help in the meantime.

I explore philosophical concepts.
      In my daily meditations I consciously and subconsciously seek ‘Stillness.’
      I live with a noisy head (electric shaver).
      But I practice a concept of stillness which invariably leads me to a peaceful mind.

Positivity - ‘I am determined to be positive !! - leads nowhere without a plan of action.
      I have found my way forward.

Nauseating ‘mumbo-jumbo’ to some perhaps?
      That bothers me not at all.
      Some people apparently find consolation in god.
      Whatever works is good.

The frustration of unsuccessfully seeking silence is plainly destructive.
      We can all seek calm, stillness, peace of mind.

• Like Like x 2
    12. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I invite those of you who like the Positivity Thread to be more visible in this support forum to post some positive things you do or experience while living with tinnitus. This will help keep this thread alive and visible to members, especially those newly afflicted with tinnitus, to give them some hope that life is not all lost because of tinnitus.

What did you do with life restricted by COVID-19?

I organized a virtual family 'dancercise' event a few nights per week, so all members young and old can see and interact with each other. We just dance with each other virtually, with music videos and exercise ones too. It is great fun. We also once a while organize a family picnic with a few extended families. Each family have their own space and when we interact closely we all wear masks to protect each other. By keeping social distancing, we are still enjoying each other's companionship and staying safe. This is a nice way to get out and to distract from paying attention to the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Spreading some positive progress:

I can often forget about my tinnitus for long periods of time.

When I suddenly remember I have it, I can hear it again.

Habituation is a beautiful thing! Hang in there all who are new to this.

Hope everyone is well during these challenging times.

:) <3

• Like x 7
      • Hug x 4
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    14. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Trying to find some inspiration wherever I can. Thank you for sharing! :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Just glad to be of help! It’s good to share so others know there’s hope - always.

<3

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @Drachen, I haven't seen you for ages.

Are you better? Certainly hope so...

Best

17. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Drachen, I’m doing ok. I can’t complain. I just take each day as they come. Thank You for asking. I hope you are doing well too. It has been awhile.

Wishing you all the best also.

Louie
      Quietatnight

18. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      The level of support I get from my wife is really amazing. I am thankful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Marcuso22

Marcuso22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud prolonged exposure to alarm system
      • Like Like x 2
    20. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      10 months in with my SSHL that started late last year, I am still standing and enjoying my life and living life fully as much as I can. I am fishing for salmon and tending to my home garden, enjoying fresh salmon catches and delicious vegetables and fruits. I also do magic shows virtually with my grandchildren once a week Sunday evening, and do virtual dancercise with the extended family members during this pandemic. I also walked and watched birds with binoculars. Whenever permitted we would go picnic and outdoor activities with extended families. The heck with the tinnitus, a high pitch one plus a new jet-engine like one from the SSHL. Life goes on with me. Finding joy amidst the pain and living life abundantly regardless of the tinnitus and hyperacusis is my motto and it works for me.

Best wishes to you all. God bless your recovery.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    21. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hey, I have a high pitch changing squealing one and the MRI gave me the jet engine whine in the other ear lol.

Glad you’re doing ok.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Albapv

Albapv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Maybe flu, maybe neck
      I just discovered this thread. wonderful. In May I started with tinnitus and although it went down and disappeared at times, a hard moment in June led me to an anxiety attack and to the emergency room. Worst moment of my life. I took Xanax for four weeks. Everything scared me, I was terrified of being alone, I didn't want to be with my three-year-old son (the saddest thing of all...) because he screams a lot. I didn't want the night to come, I didn't perform at work and I didn't enjoy anything.

Now it is much better. It's only been five months since the start and four months since my anxiety attack. My tinnitus volume has reduced considerably and I hardly notice it unless I'm in absolute silence. I sleep well, without masking. My tinnitus bothers me sometimes, but maybe two, three times a day.

I still hope it will go away. The important thing is that I am recovering my life and I can once again enjoy my family, my friends and, above all, my little son.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 5
    23. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      My tinnitus was super loud today, but I kept myself distracted with work. I powered through the day, now I can't wait to get to sleep :p

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. Jonnie
      Happy

Jonnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This thread definitely needs a bump.

I am new to tinnitus, and I also caught COVID-19 last week. I am happy to report the COVID-19 is gone, the anxiety has gone done. I am working on the mental game, even if I can't control the physical elements.

Let's keep up the positivity!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I actually tested positive for COVID-19 today. I had my 4th booster last Saturday, felt light headed and slightly dizzy right after. OK the next day.

I started to feel like crap on Tuesday. Tested @ work. I was negative.

I took Wednesday and Thursday off as sick days with a bad cold.

I continued to feel symptoms.

I tested this morning. Ding, ding, ding! There it was! Confirmed by second rapid test @ home.

Good news it has had no effect on my tinnitus whatsoever. It's the same as always...

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Right on! Tinnitus can scare and hurt you badly like many new members have experienced. Don't project a dark future during this initial nightmarish period. It can last a few months like this. Try to relax and stay positive that things will improve, both mentally and physically. Tinnitus may fade or your perception and ability to tolerate tinnitus will improve. Habituation can and will slowly occur. Many people posted their success stories and I also wrote mine "From Darkness to Light...." and share my successful and helpful strategies. Check it out. So don't despair. Have hope you can get better too.

Just think of it, if you know in a few months or a year or two, you will be OK, then why fear or worry about the temporary setbacks or spikes now? Try to live life as normal as you humanly can and give your body time to recover and heal.

Take care. God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Jonnie
      Happy

Jonnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm around 1.5 months in, and there's been ups and downs. But I truly believe we can get better if we focus on the right things like a health lifestyle, working on our mental health and building a good support circle around. I've still got some bad habits like not being consistent with my CBT (Oto app), but we need to be compassionate and patient with ourselves as the road to recovery may not be linear.

I am excited to say that this past week, there are mornings where I wake up and my right ear tinnitus is barely perceptible unless I move around. (Not sure if the Trazodone I take to sleep has had an effect on my tinnitus.)

But a win is a win, no matter how small. I now have hope that these small wins can build into bigger wins.

So let's keep doing our best, and continue helping one another out. Thanks to the folks who have supported me and this forum. If anyone needs someone to lean on, I am here for you as well.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. Albapv

Albapv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Maybe flu, maybe neck
      Hi everyone! I've had tinnitus for 7-8 months and I think it is almost gone. I can hear it sometimes during the day and night (I would say like 50% of time) and only if I look for it or am in quiet rooms. Sometimes I don't hear it even if I try to put my fingers into my ears.

I'm writing this now, but two days ago it bothered me at night. I'm still treating my anxiety. Lots of ups and downs, but getting better and better. Crossing fingers. I'm a bit superstitious but I wanted to share it because I feel we need more positivity.

Hope I can come back soon and tell that my tinnitus is definitely gone.

• Like x 3
      • Hug x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    29. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Life has been good even after 2 rounds of loud tinnitus followed by hyperacusis.

After SSHL robbed the hearing of my left ear, I am going to stick to positivity, just like my approach to living with tinnitus long-term. I have habituated to the high-pitched dentist drill on my right ear and the jet engine-like humming tinnitus on the left deaf ear.

Life goes on as I focus on the positives of life and minimize the impact of tinnitus. I am enjoying life as I can; fishing, gardening, family gathering, eating out, traveling and cruising.

Life is not lost after intrusive tinnitus and hyperacusis. Give it time and live life as normal as you can.

Hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. God bless you with speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. Darrenb111

Darrenb111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9th Nov
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is the kind of thread that is needed. I'm surprised the Success Stories category isn't higher on the page so people can better notice it.

I got severe hyperacusis and tinnitus in November 2020 and have got to a place where the hyperacusis is no longer there and the tinnitus is a lot quieter and not bothersome. It was an 8/10 at the start and it would react to my hyperacusis but over time this has reduced to a 2/10 and only really noticeable at bedtime.

For most people there are things that you can do to help manage day to day life whilst having tinnitus. Keep an eye on the positives in this thread and others, see what tools you can take and use them for yourself.

My recovery consisted of a hearing aid, CBT, meditation and keeping positive.

I hope all of you progress to a better place.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2