The Positivity Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      That's great meeruf!!! (y) Hope it's gone gone gone!!!!! :rockingbanana:

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I love this positivity thread! Meeruf, I'm so glad for you, and I hope your tinnitus stays away!

I'm having a pretty good tinnitus day so far, too. I think the beautiful spring weather may definitely have something to do with it.

Peace, everyone!:joyful:

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hi Karen!! Glad you are doing well and peace to you as well!! :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Here is my tinnitus update and some advices for you guys!

At first when I got T I almost seriously thought I would lose my mind with this.. I always thought that I was alone with this and I also went to silent places to see if my T is still there... Well, guess what, it always was there. That made me feel very sad and anxious, so I felt terrible so long!

So now when I have had this like 4months, I think I have habituated pretty well. I don't plug my ears anymore or go to silence places to hear if my there is still with me because I know it is. I think nowadays that why I want to listen that sound if I don't have to do so?? That has made a huge difference about how I feel.

I'm not scared of normal environment sounds anymore. For example, I can drive a car without thinking all the time if it's going to make my T worse.

And when I hear my T louder than usual, I can think "Well, it's louder and I can hear it, but it will come down when I just give time to it..." and then I try to focus my mind to somewhere else and listen to music to mask my louder T.

Oh yes, and thanks for my T, I have quitted smoking! ;)

So my advices are: DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR T! Don't go to silence places if you are not ready to meet your T yet! Mask it if you feel so, because in the long run it's better for you and your T won't make you feel so bad when you know you can mask it... When you notice yourself to paying attentiont to your T, go for a run or something. Don't give it power to affect your day.

DON'T BE SCARY OF NORMAL NOISES! Like I said, your life will be so much better when you let your fear away! When you are scared of normal noises, it will make your living normal life so much harder because those noises are everywhere :D

DON'T THINK THAT IT WILL GO WORSE AND THERE WON'T EVER BE CURE! You all know that it will make you feel so much worse... As we all know, there will be some treatment in future, but we just have to wait for it. But you all know that phrase "Good is worth waiting"? That is good phrase now for us ;) If you are worried about your T going to be worse in the future, don't worry about it!!! You don't have to think it now when you have to live your current T now.. You never know if it's going to be worse, but don't worry about it now. Live in this moment and live one day at a time!

DON'T BE AFRAID TO TALK ABOUT YOUR T AND GETTING HELP FOR IT! We all know that it's so easy to think "Oh they won't understand because they don't have T...." but you know what? They can still help us. Talking about it will make you feel a lot better. I you need medications to ease your anxious, then go for it. You don't need to suffer because of this.

That's it! Those advices had helped me A LOT! I hope that this post wasn't totally useless, I thought alot that where I put this but I decided that this is positive so I put this here :D

• Like x 4
      • Hug x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Winner x 1
    5. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Today I smoked some good marijuana grown by a friend, made a salad dressing with my companion, then moved to the shower and onto the bed and made love, then put on my blue tooth ear buds, cranked up Sarah Jarosz, and danced next to my avocado tree and Asian pears. The Tinnitus is always in my head, but the pleasures of life wash over me.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Well, my pleasure of life is going fishing for the mighty winter steelhead in our wild Canadian river, and I just came back with a fresh & silver 12-lb sea-run steelhead after spending a day on the river. Yummy dinner tonight. Never even paid a second of attention to my T. Totally enjoying the day. Go out and enjoy your life, whatever you hobbies. Win your freedom back. The heck with T. Don't believe the lie of this T bully saying your good life is over. There is much more in life to enjoy other than T.

fish098.jpg

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I had a wonderful Sunday--T and all. My husband and I went to some antique shops, had a nice meal out and just lived ours lives. I feel good to be alive and I'm grateful that my fear is subsiding to a point where my live is getting back to normal.

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Yeah Kathi!!!! Love hearing stories like your day today!!! We CAN live with T!!!! Good on ya!!! (y)

9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Got stuck in a beer pong match lastnight.. music was loud but not to loud then someone decided to crank up some rap song that was SOOOO loud.. Was drunk and didnt care at the moment..i prayed to god my T was okay and to let me finish the match then id step outsidee until they turned it back down and my T was great the whole night no spikes or anythingg!!!

• Like Like x 3
    10. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Sweet! Did u win?? :beeranimation:

11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Lol nope got my ass kicked

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Had fun though right??!! :rockingbanana:

13. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ohh yeah lol

• Like Like x 1
    14. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Try some Cuban music. Buena Vista Social Club. Latino SOUL.

• Like Like x 1
    15. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I attended parochial schools, 1-12, in the 50's and 60's. In grammar school I had a few Cuban friends recently off the boat from Cuba. Tiny Bastillo (not so tiny since he played defense in high school football) was one of my best friends. He had some curious tales to tell of Field's Cuba.
      Well, sophomore year at Bishop Kenny, sitting in the lunch room, a new student, Cuban, of course, comes up to the table where I'm sitting and asks if he can sit next to me. I say to him that I'm waiting for a friend. Before I could elaborate he says, 'You Goldman Americans are all alike,' and storms off to some other table. The IRONY: I was waiting for Tiny, my Cuban friend. Tiny was outraged and set the guy straight. The OUTCOME: me and the new Cuban guy became friends and surf buddies.
      The MORAL: perception is everything, toda enchilada.
      Have FUN. ENJOY yourself.
      As Baba Meher said, ' Don't worry, Be happy.'

16. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

My tinnitus can be moody, I can sometimes forget about it for a whole day and then I can hear it clearly at night before falling asleep. It can also get pretty high pitched sometimes for now particular reason and so I can hear it over the tv. This is when I feel really sad, and then I remember that sad is not a way. So right now I'm SMILING despise the concerto it's giving me lol :p

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      Thats great buddy hope it stays away too!

18. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      All good points. But fortunately this one is a little inaccurate; there are treatments for tinnitus now. Maybe you meant cure, and I do believe a cure will eventually come. I have no idea when, but thankfully there are treatments for it currently to help people habituate. Some treatments even make claims to be able to lower your perception of it. I, like everyone here, am hoping that a genuine cure will be found sooner than later.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. StayPositive
      Jaded

StayPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Gratulerer! Det er flott å høre!

20. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Listen. Taj Mahal. Take a Giant Step.

21. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cybernetics. The cure. Any inventive engineers out there?

22. kaitlyn
      Cloud9

kaitlyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/14
      thanks @demi for this thread!! I love seeing positive comments and people turning their condition into positivity. it's a beautiful thing to see. I've been going on walks everyday and I find that it helps my t. doesn't bother me at night as much. I would recommend that for you as well. It kind of decreases after my walks. which is nice relief! :)

• Like Like x 6
    23. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Love you guys!
      :D!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I am always happy just reading nice posts like this. We really support each other sharing our good moments. GOD bless us all !!!

Best

Rog

• Like Like x 2
    25. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Lately I have avoided running outside:

1) I need music when I run (otherwise I don't get the motivation) and was scared to use my headphones

2) My left ear seems to hurt in the cold if I am outside for a little while. And it's not particularly cold at the minute and wouldn't usually cause my ears to hurt, but my left one seems very sensitive.

But I missed running and thought, "Screw it". I went running with headphones and a pair of earmuffs. It was PERFECT. No increase in sound and no pain in my ear. Think I will do it more often :)

• Like Like x 6
    26. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I've had a pretty good week! More good days than bad, and the bad days were more bearable. Spring is finally arriving in the midwest, and it's soooooo good to see. Now I can get outside and work in my garden, go walking, and listen to the birds sing. I started going to a chiropractor a couple of weeks ago; she is working on my neck (atlas) and top half of my spine which is out of alignment. Can't tell if the adjustments are helping the T or not yet. I'll try it for a couple more weeks; my neck and shoulders do feel somewhat better.

• Like Like x 4
    27. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The dalai lama in his book, 'The Art of Happiness,' says the following regarding seeking happiness:
      'When we speak of this inner discipline (training the mind), it can of course involve many things, many methods. But generally speaking, one begins by identifying those factors which lead to happiness and those factors which lead to suffering. Having done this, one then sets about gradually eliminating those factors which lead to suffering and cultivating those which lead to happiness. That is the way.'
      Or said differently, the more you focus on happiness, the less you focus on suffering.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Yesterday my boyfriend and I drove an hour out of the city and went hiking. It was beautiful and calming! We ate Indian food, and gelato afterwards. Best Saturday I have had in a very long time since my spike/h.

• Like Like x 8
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Right on, Demi. Getting out and enjoy your life, spending time and focus on the happy moments. That is what I have been doing to minimize T. Enjoy the good, learn from the bad and ignore the ugly. Life is short but life is beautiful. Pursue after happiness, regardless. T is only a piece of thousand pieces of the puzzle of life. No more 'all or nothing' thinking for me. Life can have its imperfections including T but this doesn't mean we can't pursue happiness and positive things in life. So let's be 'firm as the mountain' in pursuing the beauty of life, and yet learn to 'flow as the water' to accommodate life's challenges such as T. Accepting & flowing with T will bring back sense of normalcy, thereby allowing us to enjoy & savor every sweet moment of the beauty of life. Enjoy. Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
    30. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hi Billie!

I love your attitude! You are an inspiration to us newbies. I'm having a loud day too but decided to take my T for a very brisk walk in the warm sunshine--so I put on my nikes and away "we" went :) No Ipod --just nature and it was beautiful. Then I had a sandwich and a Guinness on the patio with my husband. I'm taking Dr. Nagler's advice on what is 'prudent' and what isn't so I'm enjoying a glass. :) My T really isn't bothering me --yes--sometimes it's annoying still but I can overcome that annoyance now and just go on with what I'm doing. I find that for a good part of the time my T fades in and out. It's hard to believe that just a five and a half months ago I was paralyzed with fear of the noise and hiding out in front of the television. I'm realistic--I know I have a long way to go to habituation but I am living my life.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1