The Prednisone Blues

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Feb 16, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Went to the ER the other day for a weird throat swelling allergic thing. They gave me a shot of Prednisone and Benadryl. Then I tapered off with pills of the same for a few days. As the medicine was faded out, T started increasing like my ears wanted the stuff.
      I think this may have happened before with prednisone. Weird.

2. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I had to take 2 prednisone 9 day tapers within a month. Half way through the second taper, a new t tone was created. Crazy!

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      New tones appearing is normal, sometimes one of them is stronger and so it seems more present.

4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      That sucks. I've been on prednisone a couple times now and I get significant reductions in my tinnitus (goes from 8/10 to 2/10) to the point where I can even sleep in silence, but the tinnitus seems to go back to normal once the prednisone is out of the system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I've read the exact thing you are saying so many times I really would like to know why that is.tinnitus seems to get much quieter to almost gone for many people while on cortisone but afterwards it goes back to where it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I have to say that after the onset prednisone lowered permanently my T around 30%. A second shot had no effects.

7. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      On my second course of prednisone since the t started roughly a month ago... the t is barely perceptible now, I would literally give my legs for this silence to last

8. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Prednisone has to do something other than reduce inflation, does anyone know if it inhibits glutamate unregulation, I thought that I've read something about that in the past, ehich would mean it works in the same general since that am-101

9. Glenn
      Balanced

Glenn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2014
      I was on prefnisone twice and each time it did nothing for my T :( It did however give me headaches :(

10. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I've had t for close to 6 weeks. I know your suppose to take pred close to onset of t but does anyone think it would be worth trying?

11. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I'd give it a try

• Like Like x 1
    12. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      Sorry, this is slightly off topic.
      I don't take medicines very often (I have nothing against them), but tonight I took 1 x 400 mg Ibuprofen and my tinnitus went from 7/10 to 2/10. That's not all. My ears wont make that crackling sound anymore when I swallow and that feels weird because my ears have been crackling and clicking since I was a kid. I know that this effect probably does not last very long.

13. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      Well, Ibuprofen is said to affect tinnitus, does yours fluctuate normally?

Edit: englanniksi täällä:)

14. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      I've read that ibuprofen can cause tinnitus. :confused: So it's weird how it can help so dramatically.

My T is very quiet in the morning and loudest in the evening. So yes, it fluctuates and it's easily aggravated by sounds. I also have hyperacusis.

Juuh kirjoitetaan englanniksi niin jengi ymmärtää meitä paremmin. (y)

15. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Did you take it? Did it work?

16. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Did the tone go away?

17. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      New tones appearing? Because of drugs or normal?

18. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Yes, as I recall, I think that eventually did dissipate. I am now 3 years on from onset. I see you are fairly new to t. Whether you have spontaneous remission, or habituation (which most of us do have), the result will much be the same. T and its effects will not exist for you anymore. This was the most difficult thing for me to grasp when I first started. The fight or flight experience had taken over.
      My best advice to you is this: Try not to monitor t - the different sounds, the volume. Keep distracted. And at first, maybe mask if you can. What helped me is whenever I heard t, I would say to myself each and every time, even if I didn't believe it, I don't care, I'm too busy, I have more important things to worry about, I am so over it. I faked it til I made it. Once t has been triggered, it is very possible to train your brain back away from it again.
      I know this may sound impossible to you right now. But I can tell you, from my experience, and many I have talked to outside this forum, that it is very possible. Look at the Back to Silence thread in the Success Stories on this forum for more info. Also, look at Julian Cowan Hill's youtube videos online.
      Other healing factors are sleep, and calming your central nervous system. Walks, yoga, meditation, anything that works for you to calm those excitatory neurons. Magnesium may help also.
      All this will not allow t to hang on anymore.
      All will be well again. I am sure of it.
      Lisa

• Like Like x 1
    19. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Thank you Lisa, encouraging;)

20. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Presdinone did nothing for me....just freaking me out with anxiety...seems made things worse but possible negative placebo?

You think I'll feel better at end of taper, tinnitus feels weird and h is up

21. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Heck yes u will feel better, prednisone is jittery speed, take a valium, one won't hurt u, would help u if you're speeding.

• Like Like x 1
    22. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      Lisa, how long do you remember having to "fake" it. The anxiety is killing me at 6 weeks, but having a second sound exposure within 5 weeks of the first raised my anxiety level from a 4 to a 10 of 10. Have another ent visit Wednesday, to see if there was any hearing damage or just a temporary spike in the T.

Thanks for your positive view and story. I really need this now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      Normal behaviour, neurons are simply firing in another range/pattern etc

24. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Sorry to hijack your thread, but I wonder is it possible I drunk too much water with my first intake of Medrol/Prednisone? I took two pills, I ate something, and I drank about 60 cl of water. I hope I didn't flush it through my system? I went to the badroom after fiveteen minutes and the urine was pretty clear.

25. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      No your fine.

Lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1