The Roaring Silence

Discussion in 'Support' started by I who love music, Jan 20, 2014.

1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Here is a picture of an album by Manfred Mann's Earth Band, 1975. I was 17 years old with bad tinnitus (I'm 55) and I didn't like to look at this picture. It bothered me. The music was great though. Man, that was almost 40 years ago. Here's the 'support' part, I've been a little careless through the years but haven't been to a loud concert in the last 10 years. I guess I'm glad to say that overall, despite the spikes once in a while, it really hasn't got a lot worse. Moral of the story, loud music is bad, earplugs are good.

Here's the album:

manfred-mann-the-roaring-silence.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection or the medication to cure it.
      IWLM, I was an MM fan also, my favorite song, "My Little Red Book". Mick

3. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Haha, what an album cover! The stuff nightmares are made of.

4. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IWLM, I was just wondering how you are doing since the beginning of the "Back to Silence " thread you started. You were having very good success at the time and I was curious as to how you were doing now. I am hoping for a good report. Humbly. Mick

5. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @I who love music
      @SickoMicko

Hi Guys,
      Just a quickie question if possible please.
      Do you look in the mirror (or just say it to yourself like a 100 times a day) when you are saying something like....I can hear you noise but you don't bother me one bit,,,OR ...here is that noise but it is harmless to me....would they be good things to say and does looking in the mirror make any difference
      Sorry but if I didnt have T then I would honestly be laughing and saying what a load of tosh....but when one does have such an affliction somehow the attitude changes.....

By the way,looks like we are all around the same age........
      My best time as a teenager was to get wrecked and put some Hendrix or Pink Floyd on my old record player....and get so taken away it was amazing.......
      Used to still do it up till I got T........but never played loud music or was in any way involved with loud sounds anywhere....in fact where I live has got to be the most quiet place on earth after the North Pole! So how the hell I got this is just a total mystery..........wonder if I can still toke and listen to my old favourites...want to hear some more Janis or Joni....never get tired of it...
      Did you guys ever listen to loudon wainwright the third? I cant find anyone who ever listened or heard of him before but I thought he was great at the time...

6. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A, according to Silvine's suggested approach you should use the second of your examples (affirmations), it has no negative connotations. Important to keep negative out, first of all because the unconscious mind cannot process negatives, and if you use a negative on your affirmations, the conscience mind will jump on it and turn it into a negative statement and that will be sent to your brain. This is what you need to do if you are planning an attempt at habituation using this approach. A, go back to the post by "I who love music", it's called "Back to Silence", and I would suggest you start reading from number 3, paying particular attention to everyone's questions and SILVINE 'S replies. You won't find a better explanation anywhere. It's detailed but all questions that are asked are explained in an easily understandable fashion. Read all the way to the end of that thread, you will get all the information you could possibly need. Then give it a go, it has promise.

7. SickoMicko
      Arsewit

SickoMicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A, yes I too listened to all really good music that was made back then, saw many of those groups live. And yes I was a part of the culture. I still listen to as much of the old stuff that I still have, lost a lot in Katrina. Music was and is a huge part of my life as it was for so many others. London Wainwright, not a big fan, sorry. Humbly. Mick

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I just say, 'I hear you, ' then tell myself how I FEEL. Which emotion. It's that easy. Man, it gets better every day !!!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Man, I love Floyd, Hendrix, the Dead.

I'm a child of the 80s,some good stuff when I was a teenager then... Then along comes some awesome grunge in the early 90s....then...nothing.. For 10+ years, everything sounded the same to me.

5 or so years ago, I discovered Hank Williams III and now I've found so many good bands with him as the starting point.

Try some Deer Tick or Houndmouth.. Good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    10. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
      when you say the emotion you feel, can u be honest and say stressed, anxious, nervous? or you have to be positive even if you lie to yourself?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies

• Like Like x 1