The Story of Gaby Olthuis

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by dan, Apr 18, 2014.

?

Should stories like this be posted on Tinnitus Talk?

Poll closed May 20, 2014.
  1. Yes: Support section is fine

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Yes: Outside of Support section

61 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. No

99 vote(s)
    55.3%
    1. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I think Gaby explained perfectly in her interview the emotions she was going through and that she was torn apart deep inside. If I remember well she said something like:"I want to live, I have so many things to still do in my life" - that was on one hand. On the other hand she could no longer cope. I think the thought of finishing her life must have been growing in her since years.Firstly she felt lonely as she was divorced, which for sure didn't help. Secondly I think she waited till her kids grow up to teenage when she felt they are capable of living their lives without her.
      I more or less share some feelings of Gaby, I still feel there are a lot of things for me to do in life that make me move on. On the other hand daily suffering makes it difficult. I feel lots of us share the same feelings: we all have some plans regarding professional life, family life, travelling etc. And we go through the hell of T everyday to see these plans materialize. For instance I have certain plans in my mind that help me cope: we plan to have a child with my wife. This gives me motivation to live. Then I shall care for the child for at least another 20 years. That's my plan for next 2 decades. If by chance by this time there is a cure then good for me. If at certain point I loose a motivation to move on then possibly I'll give up as Gabby did. But its not my time yet. One thing is certain for me that since my T onset I feel much more need to live for others than for myself. I live for my wife, my parents, my sisters and godson, I want to live for my children if god let me have them. These thought help me to cope with the daily suffering.

• Agree Agree x 3
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I always am reluctant to get involved in this conversation, although I certainly have my opinions about it. Regardless, it is very sad story and I want to refrain from making judgments.

Just wanted to note a couple misstatements on this thread:

no Euthanasia for humans in USA.
      Not true. Assisted suicide is legal in Oregon, Washington, California and Vermont, the status still is disputed in Montana. My guess, however, is that you would have a tough time getting a doctor to do it if tinnitus is your primary condition, and a doctor must sign off on it. There also are residency requirements, etc. But it is legal.

It's just one of quite a few suicides due to this extreme condition (catastropic T + severe H).
      Plenty of people, including me, may have considered ending their lives due to their tinnitus. But the number of people who actually follow through with it, versus the number who have T or H, is quite small. There are no firm statistics but pretty much all the research agrees on this point. Also, in some cases (like Gaby's) tinnitus exists with other conditions that could drive someone to take their own life, like depression. Hard to say which comes first sometimes.

3. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      You don't know what that girl was hearing GUY. I don't know what your hearing, you think because you know the word TINNITUS you understand everyone noises? you think everyone just had a static TV sound, WRONG some people hear birds and snakes and a morse code machine BEEP BEEP BEEP like send me to the mental ward and shoot me with some shit or just kill me.

you can sit there and say you are a baby you have "BABY FOO FOO TINNITUS BOO HOO", BUT YOU DONT REALLY KNOW!

4. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Andreas Lubitz reportedly had tinnitus. The media did not address this in much detail, which is not a surprise, a potential missed opportunity for awareness. But possible tinnitus was a root cause of his depression that led to his suicide and mass murder. The story in GQ touches on it.

http://www.gq.com/story/germanwings-flight-9525-final-moments

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Many pilots have tinnitus. It is not an excuse for murder-suicide.

Why are you trying to justify his actions?

6. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      NO. It's what freaked me out in the first place.

7. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Please READ what I have written. Your insults are amusing,but irrational.

Firstly, and of least importance, I am not guy. I do not even begin to think that I have any personal experience of what tinnitus you or anyone else has, then neither does anyone else.

Why should I think everyone has static noises? I personally have very loud hissing tinnitus, pulsatile tinnitus, and loud tapping noises. (Plus severe ETD, distorted hearing/deafness and have permanent T-tubes). There are many who have much more to add to their repertoire of tinnitus sounds.

Understanding that there are many takes on a situation, I accept others have other views They are entitled to them.....but that doesn't mean I have to think they're right.

Accepting what is, accepting folk who either dramatise or trivialise, they're the key to accepting and coping with life events and tinnitus.

So, yes, let's have a healthy debate, but resorting to slanging really is not fruitful.

Fungus.

8. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't think the poster is trying to justify this murderer's actions. The piece however may help explain why someone would carry out such a barbaric action. This guy had tinnitus and vision problems which may have led to severe depression and suicidal/murderous ideation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is from fungus which lead to labrythitis and I would have killed myself if I didn't find a hearing aid masker. I'm not going to describe the noises I hear because I don't have all day and I don't want to cry, so while you don't have to agree that T can be suicidal I understand that it truely can be, so do I think this girl is weak? NO do I think she's just got a mental illness that makes her suicidal? NO it's her hyperacusis diplacisis and tinnitus. So you might not agree that Tinnitus can be suicidal because your Tinntis has never been that bad, yes lucky you, but don't go telling people that tinnitus is never syicidal it must be mental Illness (screw off and go get a job).

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I have got a job, about 70 hours per week. Why are you constantly making assumptions and getting angry all the time? (bad for tinnitus!). I have never said that I do not believe tinnitus can make a sufferer suicidal.
      I was hospitalised with severe depression (yes, I contemplated suicide) after onset of my ear problems.... I was given help of the right type at the right time. I had an anaphylactic response to the first anti-depressant and nearly died from that, but eventually found effective medication. I discontinued them only a few months ago. Ear problems are not my only medical issues, my other diagnoses have much more serious potential outcomes.

As I said before, debating a topic is helpful. Hearing others viewpoints is helpful. Resorting to insulting anyone who does not hold your view is not only unhelpful, it is childish.

Fungus.

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good show fungus good show. You don't think tinnitus should be suicidal but you understand how it could be. I see thank you. I also think tinnitus is suicidal yes we agree. Goodbye.

12. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Ian Mac, egocentricity is a sad trait.