The Story of Gaby Olthuis

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by dan, Apr 18, 2014.

?

Should stories like this be posted on Tinnitus Talk?

Poll closed May 20, 2014.
  1. Yes: Support section is fine

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Yes: Outside of Support section

61 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. No

99 vote(s)
    55.3%
    1. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      notice.png
      No matter what this story says there is always a better way. There is a whole world out there to experience, full of amazing, beautiful things.

If anybody thinks that they can't go on, talk to somebody:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines

(Above added by the staff of Tinnitus Talk, original post below)
      transparent_divider_II.png

Woman tells Nootdorp euthanasia story: "I have tinnitus and I want to die '

2527877.jpg

NOOTDORP - "I am a mother of two children, I have tinnitus and I want to die."Those words got NCRV reporter Miranda Grit in her mailbox from the 47-year-old Gaby Olthuis Nootdorp, with the question: "Do you want to do something?So many times I did not. "
      "It was like really special," says Grit."You think, what's going on here?"She filmed Olthuis three weeks before she died, all of your specific needs by euthanasia.
      In a major report Grit tells the story of a super intelligent woman who could no longer against the sounds in her head.Through this report Olthuis wanted to get recognition for her illness, says Grit."They wanted to show how it feels when you look healthy from the outside but inside is being tortured."

Lively woman
      On the outside was nothing Olthuis' disease to notice.She looked like a lively woman and had a good job as a therapist.Yet they suffered for thirteen years from tinnitus, or ringing in the ears.
      "People can not imagine what it's like to have that very disharmonious, very painful. Noise in your headIf nails are about the chalkboard or a train that inhibits, and 24 hours a day, "says the woman from Nootdorp in the report."I'm stuck in sound and it never ends," she explains.

In her head
      "She could have easily thirty laps, so it's pretty special.It all happens in her head, 'says Grit.
      During filming, she had to take into account any noise.My cameraman accidentally stumbled over a candle.It made such a loud noise that she totally cramped sitting on the couch. "The camera crew walked on tiptoe through the house to avoid having to make a sound."Only then will you realize that everyday life is full of noise and she could not stand."

"Learning to live '
      Olthuis has been involved in dozens of experts but was always told that there was nothing to do.Tinnitus is not a deadly disease, "you have to live with it," she said.
      The pain was so intense that Olthuis decided to no longer want to live."An inhuman act," she called it."I have two children, you can not die, leave your children.I also want to do so many things it's not that I do not want to live, "she told Grit.

Fight for euthanasia
      Two years led Olthuis her fight for euthanasia.At first, the doctors did not want to cooperate, because she was not terminally ill."There are many forms of suffering also unlivable and that is really what I want to tell with this report," said Grit.
      On February 1, Olthuis' wish was finally fulfilled.Her euthanasia was approved."I no longer have to suffer like this, to have so much pain and I need my car to drive. Against a treeDo not be.That gives peace. "Olthuis is deceased on March 1.

Broadcast
      The program NCRV Always What Olthuis has filmed a few weeks before her death.The entire program is about Gaby Olthuis Tuesday to see the Netherlands 2. 20.45

http://www.omroepwest.nl/nieuws/15-...anasieverhaal-ik-heb-oorsuizen-en-ik-wil-dood

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Wow. That's really crazy and sad. Hopefully soon well get to a point where no one ever has to go through this and we can have some treatments that can help combat the actual noise.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Sad :-( isnt this enough of a reason to fight for a cure/treatment.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    4. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      And this is exactly why I get annoyed when people simply say give it time. This is just another way of saying there is nothing that can be done. Can you imagine walking into a doctor's office with a broken leg and the doc just says to give it time?

Obviously time did not help this lady. She must have been suffering tremendously to leave behind 2 kids... and she stuck it out for over 13 years. Time did not help her. Saying give it time is just about as worthless of an answe as learn to live with it.

People suffering from tinnitus need hope. They need to become aware of treatment options like TRT, neuromonics, neuromodulation, etc. Sure, some treatments may be debatable on how effecive they are, but the point is they give someone hope that there is a chance they will get better. She said she did not want to die... it's so sad no one informed her of these treatments.

And for what it's worth, the online neuromodulation seems to temporarily silence my tinnitus and I know others have said the same. I can definitely see how following the proper protocols could actually make it so we don't hear tinnitus anymore. I plan to actually find a way to try it out the way it's supposed to be done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      She chose euthanasia over her children and her loved ones? Because of tinnitus? Is that correct?

Sorry, I don't feel much sympathy here, if that is what happened.

I've known people who suffered much worse - physically painful conditions, multiple surgeries, cancer, etc., for years. And they enjoyed life as much as they could.

Pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I don't think anything in life is that black and white. Maybe she was a mentally weak person, maybe she didn't get the help she needed and no one knows how bad her t was, I suppose she had severe h as well. There are articles I've read about people who had cancer and claim their experience with t was harder to go through. Fact is we don't know what she was going through but we do see that t can be very serious. I understand worse things can happen to someone like you said but at the same time that's why many people don't take t sufferers seriously. People with t suffer and doctors and other people say learn to live with it, at least it's not x,y or z. The fact is t can be life altering and depressing and horrible to the point where someone would want to die.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 4
    7. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      It's very difficult for me to understand how someone could throw everything away. Two children. Even if they were adults, her absence would be a void in their lives, assuming they had a relationship.

On a side note, I think this is a horrible topic for a support forum. Lots of newbies come here, having enough difficulties adjusting, only to read this? Ugh.

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I can see where you're coming from. Then again, people have committed suicide over things even more trivial than t. Everyone responds differently. You don't know how t affected her unique physiology and how it made her feel. Some things that may seem pathetic to one person may be downright terrifying to the next.

Btw, I agree. Why is this article on here? How exatly does this story contribute to supporting us?

• Like Like x 3
    9. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Pef, judge yourself man ... your post hurts me more than reading this article of a woman that gave her best and did not succeed. you have absolutely NO idea what she went through! If it is difficult to understand than keep queit and try harder.

• Agree Agree x 12
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    10. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Nills I am sorry that my post was hurtful to you. I truly am. That is not my intent. Please accept my apology.

Perhaps my edge in my posts is a reaction to the story on a support forum. I just don't think its a helpful topic, especially for people who are coming here for the first time.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah can someone delete this? Not
      Encouraging.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Deleting this news story is imo, like saying lets sweep this under the table and pretend these things don't happen to tinnitus sufferers.
      Yes this is a support forum, but I saw no other sub forum to post this story under...
      Should I post it in the Research forum perhaps?

• Agree Agree x 9
    13. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Oh c'mon. We all already know how terrible t is, and to top it off, this forum in particular is for encouragement. Would you go to a cancer support forum and post thing's about how this or that cancer has a high mortality rate?

I think this should be deleted from this thread at least. It does the exact opposite of what this thread is intended for.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      All's I would say is there not a greater commentary of what a wretched malady T is and the profound need for a cure? So what if it's not lethal, there's a lot of awful afflictions that aren't deadly but are still terrible and a deep insult to the human condition.

That's the thing about Tinnitus that gets me. It's like a form of torture. almost literally. Not to be all dramatic, but it's true. It's incredible to me that it's not a higher priority in the medical world. And this is allowed to just exist with fairly minimal efforts to eradicate it. Not knowing diddly about the real mechanisms and how it works other than what I've recently read, my gut tells me this could be beaten if the effort and the resources were put into it.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      After thinking about it yea I think we do all know how hard it is and this is an extreme circumstance. If this was something the general public and other doctors could see so they know how serious it is I would say leave it. But I don't know if there is a place for it here. I appreciate your intention dan I just don't know if people on here will handle this well if they see it.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I wasn't posting it to scare newbies. I posted it because professionals and doctors come here sometimes to find out how tinnitus affects some people. Why do you think we get all those "Tinnitus questionnaire studies" all the time, reporters coming on here asking questions...etc - well this is what they need to see - not newbies of course, but where else could I post these news? Should I start a website Tinnitushorrorstories.com ?

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    17. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sad to hear her story. But I agree with some posters here. Why such a story is posted on the 'SUPPORT' forum? What purpose does it serve to many newer sufferers coming here for support who are worrying about their own survival with tinnitus? What message are we sending them? The worst message of this story to an already highly traumatic & depressed new T sufferers is that their condition may be so severe it is not livable and they may have no alternative but to die whether by their own hands or from the doctors. That is not the kind of message I hope TT will stand for. I strongly hope the moderators will delete this thread or move it to some other sub-forums. Not in the Support forum. Highly inappropriate. My 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Well definitely not in a section for "support". I'm still not sure why out of all the subcategories, you chose the one that is meant for encouragement. And do you really think the subject line will prevent newbies from reading just because you tell them not to?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ok then, you tell me where is the better subcategory I should post such stories next time.

20. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      If only she had seen this beautiful forum maybe she wouldnt of died.The poor woman just lost all hope and if she had maybe seen all the amazing treatments and possible cures coming in the near future maybe she would have stuck it out.It absolutely breaks my heart to see things like this.Her story should not go untold and she should not die in vein,this story should be sent to government officials and researchers to show the government why funding is needed and to show researchers why their work is so invaluable.Dan I understand why you posted this,this can be the harsh reality that some T sufferers find themselves faced with because they feel that its their only option.We must all acknowledge that unfortunately these stories do exist and shouldnt be swept under the carpet.But I dont think this should have been posted on TT at all.Alot of newbies come here and this is the last thing theyd want to read if they want to read these stories let them research it themselves if thats what they want to do.To be honest this has put me on a bit of a downer....

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Well if the intention for such a story is for information purposes for doctors doing research, then it would seem to me that the research section would be the better choice.

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Quite a number of us have contemplated suicide because of our tinnitus. Many still are. Many come to this forum, and this subcategory specifically for support and encouragement. This story basically cements in the mind of people that they may become so miserable that they'd be willing to choose death over life... over their kids.

Perhaps this story doesn't belong on TT at all. Don't get me wrong; I DO want the right people to see this. But there is a proper place for everything... and a wrong one.

• Agree Agree x 5
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Fine, Research subforum...I do still think this story should be here, albeit it should be explained to newbies that this lady most probably did not get the help she needed, and, even if she did, it is very very rare for a person to suicide over tinnitus.
      90% of tinnitus sufferers lead normal lives, but unfortunately, around 5% cannot and therefore we need a cure or a treatment that would work for those 5% as well. This tinnitus suffering must end.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. ralph j begley

ralph j begley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dan, you've gotten on the wrong side of the paranoia stick. Fear is a powerful response to the incomprehensible.
      If I were a "Newbie", I'd run from a forum that tries to hide the truth.
      Although I could not confirm the story with other sources, it is not surprising, if true. The statistics of Tinnitus-related suicide are non-existent: the ATA is unable to provide any data.
      Support comes in many forms, occasionally witnessing the suffering of other's can motivate as well as frighten. Censorship is a slippery slope.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Dan, you've gotten on the wrong side of the paranoia stick. Fear is a powerful response to the incomprehensible.

Sorry Ralph I don`t understand what you meant with this sentence :) but I support your opinion.
      Also I feel such sad sorrow for this woman, if she was on TT, she could of found out about Autifony and at least waited 2 more years for this very promising drug to come out with results.

• Like Like x 1
    26. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      We have to face the facts people, I know it is an extremely sad and also rare case. Don`t be afraid of the truth that it happend... it only shows how much more this topic should be discussed with people in the pharmaceutical areas and even governments. There still isn`t enough people helping us. All the companies making discoveries should get more support and articles like this can shake the dust of this topic that has been shelved for years and years in the minds of politicians, doctors and such ...

you can only be afraid when something induces fear in you ... read the article with the right eyes.. it is not the bring us down it is to make us rise up!

In Belgium a young boy also commited suicide for Tinnitus.. if only they had the hope of a cure in the future instead of the `learn to live with it` phrase from incompetent and misinformed poeple..

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. here2help

here2help Member

@dan, I'm thinking you posted the article to say something about yourself, and that you relate to the woman. If that is true, I'm sorry you are in a tough spot, but glad you have chosen life over the alternative. I hope you keep making that choice.

@pef, I don’t think it is possible to gauge the degree of this woman’s suffering. There is no way to know what else was going on in her life.

@billie48, when you were going through a very difficult time with tinnitus, would it have been fair to you to ask you to consider the message you were sending to others? Would it have been fair to expect you to temper your emotions and fears because of the impact they could potentially have had on someone else. Is it possible that one reason you were able to make such wonderful progress is because you had a safe place to come to and honestly express yourself? If Dan’s posting the article is an extension of how he feels, is it fair to Dan to ask him to temper that because it might make someone else uncomfortable?

@ralph j begley , the incidence of suicide in people with tinnitus is no different than it is for people who do not have tinnitus.

Is it possible that some of us can react so strongly to someone posting an article like this not because of the impact it could have on a newcomer but because it touches something inside us that is difficult to acknowledge?

here2help

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Doctors should have a rule against them to know longer be able to say live with it and instead encourage patients that there is help now to habuitate and that ACTUAL help meaning toning down or curing T completely is coming and educate them about all the future possibilities including clinical trials being formed/conducted at this exact time. I bet most of them if they knew this would have more hope for the future and be more happy that there are people working on this out there.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Of course. But the problem is that Dan has never indicated that he relates to the woman in the article. You're assuming this. And, again, my point isn't that the article should be swept under the rug. My point is that it is in the wrong category. The support category simply isn't a good place for it. Like I asked Dan, would you post articles that highlighted how terrible the chances of surviving cancer is on a forum that is meant to support and encourage cancer victims?

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Like I asked Dan, would you post articles that highlighted how terrible the chances of surviving cancer is on a forum that is meant to support and encourage cancer victims?

I am not sure on this , but I would assume on cancer forums they do announce if a person has died from cancer and they do not sweep it under the rug or remove such threads.
      On the other hand, I bet they encourage each other to stay strong, discuss new hope of cures and drug trials, etc.
      Death on a cancer forum isn`t unusual I would think, so I do not understand your analogy, Mattk.
      Just my opinion here.

• Agree Agree x 1