The Worse Your Tinnitus Is, The Harder It Is for It to Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mathew Gould, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Is it easier for someone with mild or average tinnitus to get rid of their tinnitus vs. those with severe tinnitus?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This is a very difficult question to answer conclusively Mathew for there are many factors involved. In theory someone with mild or average tinnitus should habituate to their tinnitus sooner than someone that has it severe. However, what is more important and absolutely crucial in accepting and living with tinnitus, whether it is mild or moderate or occasionally severe is one's mindset. Tinnitus is 90% mental, by this I mean the way a person is able to deal with it and carry on with their life. Please click on the link below and read my post to understand what I mean.

All the best
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

3. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Mild tinnitus = mild hearing loss/neck/jaw issues
      Severe tinnitus = much worse hearing loss/neck/jaw problems

Obviously mild tinnitus has more chances to go away since the damage is mild.

And tinnitus is absolutely not 90% mental.
      People who say this have mild to moderate maskable tinnitus that only bothers them at night.
      They have never experienced the unrelenting sound that is so loud and intrusive that makes you want to kill yourself even when you're wacked out on benzos.

Don't listen to people who undermine your suffering.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is only those with limited understanding of tinnitus and have it for all of 5 mins that are unable to comprehend what I mean when I say tinnitus is 90% mental. Tinnitus veterans like myself and those seasoned to this condition, particularly "noise induced" tinnitus know what I am talking about. It has nothing to do with undermining one's suffering.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I have mild hearing loss and my T is severe.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I understand what you meant when you wrote the above.

I would also like to point out that almost all human experience (not counting the experiences that involve actual pain) is mental. One doesn't have to be unhappy if one is poor. People who are paralyzed from the neck down don't have to be unhappy. Lie there and concentrate on feeling happy.

There is no reason for the people who had lost all of their family in a horrific accident to experience any distress within an hour of hearing the news. One's body is still there and intact - nothing has changed as far as one is concerned, just stop dwelling on the unpleasant thoughts - try not to think about those people that died ever again.

It is all in our minds, we have it within us to be happy despite most things that can happen to us!

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect Bill, if you truly understood what I meant when I wrote tinnitus is 90% mental there would be no need to write your post, so clearly you do not and I realize that because you have not had tinnitus long enough. Please read my post in the link above: The habituation process to get the full understanding of what I mean or ask @fishbone who will pleased to enlighten you.

Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      No such thing as it being easier, for people with mild or severe tinnitus to get rid of the ringing. There is no guarantee that any form of tinnitus(mild or intrusive) might stay or it might fade away. We do not have control over this ordeal, the brain and all the complexities of it control it.

The only control that we have is how we ACT and Re-act towards it. I suffer from a loud/intrusive tinnitus with close to -80db hearing loss in my bad ear and the other one is bad as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      You are 100% correct! Dealing with tinnitus whether it is mild or intrusive, is all about mindset and how we act/re-act to the stimulus (the noise). Constant negativity, will do no one any good. Tinnitus is 90% mental , it's that mental drive and daily baby steps that help one person achieve a better life. I have said this thousands of times on this site and I don't feel like I need to post much anymore about this matter :)

Even with such crazy tinnitus and horrible hearing loss, I am achieving and doing way way more in my life and enjoying it. It's all about being disciplined and wanting to help ourselves!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Beautifully said @fishbone and thank you so much.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1