There's a Tiny Tea Kettle in My Ear...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sheacar, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Sheacar

Sheacar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/30/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, but suspect hormones
      Hello everyone,

Just thought I would chime in and say how nice it is to know we are not alone in dealing with this nuisance.

When the high pitched whistling in my left ear first began, it actually woke me from sleep. I thought it was our wall unit air conditioner that I run each night to assist with hot flashes, so I asked my husband to shut it off. To my horror, the sound continued and the next couple of weeks were pure panic as I tried to adjust to my new, unwanted, constant companion. Nothing in my life had changed; no more or less stress.

Same old, same old, only now I had a tea kettle whistling in my ear that I could not take off the burner. I am a mother, albeit an older mother, in her mid-forties, of two young children, so it was imperative I find something to help me cope, particularly with sleep, so as to properly care for my little ones without feeling like an angry, stressed out zombie. My saving grace was the discovery of my "LectroFan," which emits beautiful, steady white noise and allowed me the sleep I so desperately needed. I went through several brands, let me tell you, and this one was my life saver. Recovering my sleep allowed me to better deal with my whistling ear, so I have now become habituated to the continual sound, but so long as I can sleep, I can deal with it. I notice that during my cycle, which has become more erratic over the last couple of years, the T ramps up and I find myself bothered by it to a greater extent during that time.

I have no doubt whatsoever the onset or simply worsening of T is linked to hormones, but it's anyone's best guess as to exactly why this occurs.

So many opinions, but no solid consensus.....seems we know so little about our endocrine systems. My hope is one day, we will have some definitive answers, but in the meantime, the tea kettle is whistling away......

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to tinnitus talk sheacar.
      I agree hormones can cause tinnitus to spike .
      I'm glad you are coping better now and sleeping well it makes all the difference to how we feel and cope with the sound
      ...lots of love glynis

3. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi sheacar,

Welcome aboard.

I do not know about hormones, but tinnitus is an activity in the brain and unfortunately at this time science and medicine lack the depth and understanding needed to really get all the answers uncovered.

It is just a matter of time, however, before the brain and all the neurons will be mapped and once that occurs, a Google-sized base of knowledge will be created as a result and incredible insight will be obtained!