Third Day of Tinnitus — Will This Be Forever or Not?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cbg327, Jan 10, 2020.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe shooting guns, maybe sickness
      Ok, well last night I woke up coughing really hard (felt like I was choking). All the coughing really set it off but it never reached its worse. It was kinda rough but I got to sleep, my fan would make a sound similar to the ringing (normally that blocks the ring out because while it is similar enough to help me I can identify the difference and convince myself that the ringing is gone, which makes it seem to go away a bit) but, me being half awake panicked about how loud it was which would re set off the actual tinnitus noise again.... When I finally felt good enough to get up (still a bit tired) I noticed that it was going away faster than I first thought (I probably made it worse than it would have been if I stayed calm, I was worried it would all come back considering the intensity after the coughing fit). I sat up and drained the tubes connected to the ear that you open when you yawn (let off a lot of pressure). It seems to be back to where it was before all the coughing now and is currently back in my left ear. It comes and goes, I will continue to try to ignore it and see where that takes me

2. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      The best way to have progress is not to look for progress.

Just don't monitor it, stop thinking about it, and one day you will be like "hey, it's gone ! since when?"

Keep your mind busy, keep not thinking about the sound, because you are very right, when you think of tinnitus itself it doesn't pop back on, it's when you think about the sound.
      Memory plays a part in this.

Try to forget it!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gonna keep this one short and simple.

When this started for me, it was non-stop and cripplingly loud.

Today (besides the morning) was mostly quiet. Coughing does not trigger it most the time and my ear is starting to lose its ache.

I am currently unaware of any hearing loss(hearing felt dull after shooting guns but returned to normal on the second day. I should also point out that we shot till dark so I was not terribly long. If there is any hearing loss it is insignificant.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There has been no ringing all day today.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Congrats on the good day! Here's hoping for many more. Be sure to keep the guard up, and protect/avoid the loud noises or else the tinnitus will be right back, and worse each time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So I had nothing for 4 or 5 days and now it's back. Not intense but it's back. I'm not entirely sure what's going on because it seems to prefer the right ear now for some reason. I have noticed I am a bit congested as of late but I no longer feel as sick. It does go away a lot but I feel it is odd that it went so long without appearing before returning. I did have an earwax removal done however it was days later that it started up. It's rather easy to block out except when I'm laying down. It also switches ears depending on what side I lay on. It's likely sinus related because it started up when my nose started feeling clogged, I also heard that (not sure where) it could take a few weeks for the tube connecting the nose and eat get better after an ear infection. It seems to stay away longer if I'm distracted even in silence. It's not to bad, this is just an update. I'm going to shower to try to clear my sinuses.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Cbg327

Nothing is going on that is out of the ordinary. What you are experiencing is very common with the onset of tinnitus. This rollercoaster ride of the tinnitus fluctuating in intensity and possibly going away for a short periods then returning is the way it behaves. This can continue for quite some time then it will settle down. The important thing is not to aggravate it by using headphones or being around overly loud sounds. If you do this then you risk the tinnitus becoming louder and more intrusive.

The more attention and focus you apply to it can increase stress which is something you have to try and avoid, I know this is not an easy thing to overcome and requires time. If you are feeling stress which again, is not unusual then have a word with your family doctor. Read my posts in the links that I have given you. Continue using sound enrichment and avoid staying in quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night. Set the sound enrichment below the tinnitus and not to mask it.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have noticed it coming and going with a sense of pressure in my head. It that common aswell? I know that I have been coughing up clear mucus recently. I did a bit of research and the idea that my sinuses are the problem seems more likely. It started with my right ear feeling a bit clogged and when I feel the pressure increase it begins to ring shortly after. This did not start till I started turning on my heater at night and also I'm trying to lose weight (I know, losing weight after being sick is not great to do, especially when being sick caused weight loss) I have not been eating or drinking much and with the heater on I know I was feeling dried out. I started drinking more water and it seems to have faded along with the pressure (might be a coincidence). Sinusitis might be a factor. Not to worry, it is not bad enough for me to be to worried, I'm just interested it there is more I can do. I just took a decongestant and the nasal spray I had (can't hurt). It's not so bad at its current level, I'm just seeing what can be done for my situation. 8000 hertz still works in making it go away for a while

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have a lot is sinus pressure but the tinnitus seems to fade or vanish when I manage to relieve the pressure. It is minimal in volume most of the time and their has been more silence recently. I have begun suddenly realizing that the sound disappears and I can not be sure when it stopped exactly, it comes back later but the line of whether or not it is there is often blurred now. Sometimes I'm really unsure if I am hearing it or not

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sounds like eventually you will get to beat tinnitus.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope so, I am still trying things to make it stop while it is active. It has been near constant recently but I notice it goes away if I can focus on another sound hard enough (though that is difficult to do).

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I slept a really long time yesterday (anywhere from 11-14 hours I'm not sure). The ringing began to fluctuate a little early on but always quiet. Just a bit ago it started getting aggressive then either vanish or nearly vanish then come back to its normal low place. I started feeling really sick (my stomach very rarely bothers me unless I'm really sick) then I felt weak (another uncommon thing to feel even when sick) after that my tinnitus spiked really hard (not like when it started but definitely the loudest it's been in a while now, after that I got a small headache, about 30seconds into the spike it seemingly vanished completely (both the headache and the ringing). It has remained either gone or to low to hear over the background noise.

My question is does tinnitus cause headaches/nausea, or is it more likely that I'm still sick or I'm getting something new and it is aggravating it. I'm leaning toward me being sick because of how long I slept but I also have been more physically active (trying to be healthier) and I thought the sleep was just due to the extra exercise I had recently been getting.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can cause headaches although I never knew of this until I mentioned it to my ENT doctor back 2010. At the time was having a lot of difficulty managing my tinnitus, as it increased in 2008 due to a second noise trauma. She told me some of her tinnitus patients are affected by headaches. It doesn't happen all the time usually when the tinnitus is quite intrusive (severe). It may have something to do with stress. I have never experienced nausea with tinnitus. If the nausea is a recurring problem I advise you to talk to your doctor about it.

You are in the very early stages of tinnitus, so give it time to settle down as fluctuations in intensity are common. Remember to keep away from overly loud sounds and most of all, don't use headphones even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for responding fast. I do not own headphones and do not plan on getting any.

There was a long gap of time where I did not post (between January 23rd and January 29th). That was due to me not having any tinnitus at all. I was surprised to have such a long break from it but I never let myself get into the mind set that it was gone (glad I did not jump the gun and get my hopes up). It feels odd that it came back and started being weird so soon though.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As I have said, fluctuations in tinnitus is not unusual especially in the early stages of the condition. This can last up to 6 months perhaps longer. It also depends on the person and how much they are being affected by the tinnitus? Stress, is the number one factor as tinnitus is intrinsically linked to our mental and emotional wellbeing.

It is a good sign that you are experiencing reductions in the tinnitus and for it to go completely away for the amount of time you said, it very good news. If it is possible try and engage in positive things that you like to do. This will help to take your mind off the tinnitus, and make your recovery and habituation much smoother and easier. By keeping away from the forum you are allowing your mind to take less notice of the tinnitus and this is undoubtedly a good thing.

You are doing very well in the short space of time that you have had tinnitus. Just take things easy because the last thing you want to do is get complacent. That unfortunately is where a lot of people slip up. They think they have habituated and tinnitus is nothing anyone can get over it. This way of thinking is a: Big, Big, Mistake as I know whereof I speak.

Michael

16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Cbg327 -- To understand what may be going on, I'd suggest you do some research on the vagus nerve. In short, it's the longest of the cranial nerves, and traverses from the brainstem to virtually all parts of our body, and ends up in the colon. It traverses through the stomach, and is critical in supplying nerve energy to the entire GI tract. It also is responsible for sensations of nausea, satiation, gagging, etc.

A branch of the vagus nerve makes its way to both ears, and are known as the auricular branch(s) of the vagus nerve. As such, whatever goes on in the stomach (and other parts of the body) affects the ears (and tinnitus), and vice versa. As a teenager, my own vagus nerve was "pinched" in a whiplash accident, and so is vulnerable to being affected by all kinds of things going on in the body. I often experience nausea and headaches--and much more--when tinnitus spikes.

17. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      1. Don't wear earplugs unless doing anything louder than a loud tv.

2. Yes it sounds like it will go away. Fluctuations are great news. Just be sure to carry on looking after your ears.

3. Mine started the day after listening to very loud music on my headphones. It came the next day and never left.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just found out that I'm not the only one in my house with the symptoms I described. No one else told me they were feeling sick too so I thought it was just me and a result of my T. More good news is that it seems to have stopped again for now.

19. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @BobDigi -- In my case, that would not have been good advice. For the first 1 1/2 years, I found it necessary to wear ear plugs whenever I drove in my car for more than a couple miles, and whenever I went into a retail store. I'm convinced I saved myself from numerous very detrimental spikes as a result.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everyone's T seems to be a bit different so I guess I have to find people with similarities then experiment a bit to see what helps mine.

some people need a noise to make it ease up, but others tell me that masking can not be done for their T as it has no effect, and then there are people who hear it primarily after hearing lots of sounds even at low volume.

There is also a list of different types of sounds and then a whole spectrum of frequencies. It is complex to start with not to mention all the combinations of types and frequencies.

Finally there are a list of causes and triggers for T as well. Not to mention that a lot of people will hear blips of it for seconds with no discernible reason before it fades away.

An awfully tricky subject to figure out for an individual, let alone a group of people all with similar but different experiences.

Thankfully we have groups like this were we can go to share our experiences and find support as we navigate our T

I'm sure I left out some other complications of T but this is the understanding I have made so far on the subject

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had complete silence for about an hour and when it came back it was pretty quiet (barely hear it in a silent room) for a while. It is back to normal now (not very loud to begin with). The break was definitely a moral boost.

When the ringing stopped I also noticed a lot of pressure release from my head and I felt the pressure come back slowly with the ringing. I'm not entirely sure which is causing which but they seem to go together

22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Cbg327 -- I was able to successfully reduce a lot of pressure in my head by applying a mixture of DMSO and Magnesium Oil. DMSO is one the most effective substances for quickly reducing inflammation, and is used in emergency rooms to quickly (minutes) bring down the life-threatening swelling from closed head injuries.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It has gone away again it seems. Now to wait and see for how long

Part of all my posting is for the purpose of taking notes on it to try to track progress and strategies to deal with it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It comes back and goes away really fast right now. It's coming back very quiet. I'm also just noticing an almost Velcro like sound when I chew the sound is on my left side. I also have pushed on the hard part of the ear where my earlobe begins, I pushed toward the ear hole and it cracked. I did this earlier and shortly afterwards is when it stopped for an hour. Both times I accidentally pressed this spot and I am not sure if it had anything to do with the relief I got or not but I figured I would mention it just in case.

25. bobthebuilder
      No Mood

bobthebuilder Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amitriptyline, hidden hearing loss, whiplash (?), stress (?)
      TAKE PREDNISONE

Another reply already mentioned it but it cannot be emphasized enough. Go get a high-dose course of prednisone from you GP as soon as possible.

Best case scenario, it makes the tinnitus go away forever. Prednisone is only able to do that if you nip it in the bud in the first few days.

Worst case, nothing happens. Literally 100% upside with little to no risk.

Any time anybody new comes on this page, that should be the first immediate response. I only wish 5 years ago I had gotten any such advice.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Unfortunately, the risk is there.
      But sometimes the risk is worth it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Cbg327

I understand that it is not easy to ignore tinnitus in the early stages, as the brain tends to focus on hearing something that previously wasn't there. As time passes the brain usually learns to accept the tinnitus and the healing and habituation process begins to take over. In order to make this process easier, I advise you to read my articles in the links that I have sent you. If you have read them I advise you to read them again until you are quite familiar with them. I say this because I do not think you are adhering to what I have advised. Please keep in mind I am trying to help you as I have a lot of experience with noise induced tinnitus. Not just my own but corresponding and counselling people with it.

From what you have described I believe your tinnitus is manageable although troublesome at times. As I have said this will improve. However, if you insist on monitoring every little change in its perception, writing about it in this forum and on other social media platforms to the extent that you are doing, you are not helping yourself. Even though you might think discussing it at length helps it often doesn't. The reason being you will be focusing on the tinnitus more, this can cause stress and if you're not careful stress can lead to negative thinking, especially when tinnitus changes or fluctuates in intensity, as it often does in the early weeks and months. When you think you have turned a corner and everything is bright - a slight increase or a temporary spike, is enough make the dark clouds of doom and gloom begin to take form and that's something you don't want. Take things slowly and as I have previously advised, focus on positive things that you like to do away from the forum and this will help take your mind off the tinnitus.

I am not saying never to visit this forum but try not to put too mush emphasis on the way it reacts and how you feel about it. Accept it for what it is and as time passes, I assure you things will become a lot easier.

I wish you well.

Michael

28. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Wow, mine started suddenly and never left, not even for one second - yours could be temporary. Be careful around sounds at the moment, don’t go to loud places...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took a melatonin pill and it helped. It seemed like my tinnitus was a lot more quiet although I did not sleep long (woke up because I felt sick to my stomach but not dizzy)

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cbg327

Cbg327 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Melatonin made it silent again but I could not sleep easy no matter how tired I get (even with the ringing gone). I did get some sleep though , I woke up the ringing was back but I expected that. I had a dream I was bitting something and I had clenched my teeth really hard in real life. (The nausea is keeping me up when the T is gone)

this tells me what I suspected. My urge to throw up and head pressure is not caused by the ringing. Possibly the other way around because the ringing went silent but the nausea and most the head pressure remained.