Thought I Had My Tinnitus Cracked Recently — I Was Wrong

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Jul 8, 2019.

1. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      May I ask why your GP wouldn't prescribe Clonazepam? It has helped me tremendously. Btw, I am the anti pill guy. Never have taken hardly an aspirin. But, with this demon, Clonazepam has helped me down off the roof when I am thinking about jumping. I only take it when feeling desperate which is once in a while. Maybe once every 2 weeks. Almost always at night when I get the most freaked out with tinnitus.

Curious why your GP wouldn't prescribe it? Mine did.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think because it's a benzo and primarily used to treat epilepsy.

3. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      More than a few that use Clonazepam to help them cope with tinnitus. Something to consider.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Guys.... I'm really in a bad way here.

My tinnitus has always been high pitched & troublesome. Two weeks ago (on a Tuesday) I had to shut off my house alarm panel (its muffled) twice in one day. I quickly shoved on ear defenders so it was a matter of seconds. One was at 2am and I stayed up. As I did I started hearing faint bells in my right ear for the next week. The following Monday & Tuesday were quiet.

That Tuesday night I used my Lenire before bed...I've been finding that it aggravates my tinnitus because of the white noise.

I woke up at 3am and my tinnitus was screaming off the charts and it stayed like that. On Friday just gone I took a Mirtazapine which damped things on Saturday. Sunday was not too bad, used my Lenire mid evening.

Woke up this morning at 4am and my tinnitus is off the scale again.

Have I spiked my tinnitus? What are the chances of this settling back down?

I'm a nervous wreck, trying to function at work, my wife is stressed because zim talking suicide.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      I’ve been following your posts Allan. I went to Neuromod also but my hearing is not good enough to try the device.
      I think you are planning to go back to Dublin this week? Your T seems to be super reactive and will probably calm itself down again.
      Try not to panic, easier said than done I know. Can you take some time off work to take some pressure off yourself?
      Best wishes
      Eve
      @Allan1967

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm just back off 2 weeks at home. I'm at Neuromod tomorrow & will discuss and see what advice I get.

I'm worried this is a spike that's being exacerbated by the Lenire.

I know tinnitus ebbs & flows but this is catastrophic according to a THI I did today.

7. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know what catastrophic tinnitus was like for me. It’s never quite reached that level again although it’s severe very often.

I really hope they can adjust Lenire and give you some much needed relief. The team that I met were united in wanting the help their patients.

Good luck
      Eve

8. Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hey Nanny, I see your Cause was by audiologist. What did the audiologist do? I might see one soon, so want to make sure I don't let them make a mistake.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What did you do to reduce it Nanny?

I think my tinnitus has spiked because of the alarm and rather than it settling as it would probably, the hiss in Lenire is making it worse.

I really would appreciate some theories off anyone about that.

10. spinnaker

spinnaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / hearing loss
      CBD Oil is SO expensive. I stopped into a shop recently. They want $90 US for a little bottle. The two guys working the place seemed like flakes.

11. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T was evoked in 1992 by an Audiologist!!!!! maybe she introduced a too loud noise, I don’t know.
      I’ve had 2 more recent audiograms, one at Neuromod, with no apparent adverse effects.
      Pick your audiologist carefully and explain your concerns.
      Eve
      @Joshua12345

12. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had a complete breakdown when tinnitus became catastrophic. It’s still severe and limits how I can live and it’s raging every morning.
      I found a wonderful Clinical Hynotherapist who helped with the depression and anxiety.
      Tinnitus is the nastiest, invasive condition when severe. Good luck at Neuromod today.
      Eve
      @Allan1967

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's a test for sure @Nanny chocolate

14. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I know that 'rollercoaster ride into hell and back' as well if not even better. I think my tinnitus also spiked a few weeks ago because of a treatment at the dentist. I wish I had canceled that appointment but on the other hand it had to be done. Now my slightly better right ear seems to be worse than the left one. I don't have the feeling it has gotten better since then... sleeping is kind of hard at the moment. We also have a 4 year old daughter that likes to come over in the middle of the night and I have an easy sleep....

Hoping for a date with Lenire soon (no date yet....) and that my audiogram is good enough.

15. Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      What kind of dentist appointment? I have some coming up soon too, very nervous :(

I hope your spike subsides and you get some good sleep!

16. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I got 3 crowns. The bad part of the story was that 1 old one had to be removed. Metal on metal right through the bone into the ear. It was so awfully loud. If you have something similar to be done, tell the dentist to make breaks, so your ears can rest a little. I didn't. Read about it too late.

17. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Allan1967
      I'm sorry you're going through this. I would suspect the Lenire MIGHT be causing your spike but who can be sure.

I don't know if this is worth it but it's all I've got.

Prior to tinnitus, years prior, I had bad anxiety and depression. Just completely out of whack. I couldn't go out, I couldn't be in public, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't function. No joy. I went on Lexapro, which took the edge off, sort've made me feel like I had woken up from a long nap. Things didn't phase me much at all. But I also didn't get really "happy" either. I did therapy. It was worthless to me BUT, the therapist told me some golden information... he said studies show that cardio exercise gives your brain the same effects that antidepressants do - on a chemical level. He said if you do cardio 30 mins 3 times a week, it's going to help. Out of desperation I did it. Obsessively. Even in the dead of winter. I would go out and run 5 miles every night. Grew my beard out, put in the headphones, and jogged. It was like being in a dream. I'd look at the moon, see deer pass, and just zone the fuck out.

Now I COMPLETELY realize this was a different scenario, and was also prior to tinnitus.... I recognize all the reasons why not.

BUT... if you can get an exercise bike, put on the tv with subtitles, or swim, or do something like this... make it a ritual that you do for yourself every week. You stand a serious chance at developing more coping with the tinnitus.

That's the best advice I personally have.

Outside of that, eating full meals, and sleeping are crucial.

This spike will pass.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Looking after a relatives house whilst hes away. Turning off alarm panel, it goes off in my face. It's in a cupboard so I immediately stepped back shut the door. It's not a high pitched shrill either, not like my own.

Stuck in my musicians ear plugs, turned it off.

Measured it later (full ear protection on x 2) at 87dB(c).

Went home... big dose of Magnesium & NAC.

A few seconds tops at 87dB(c).

What do you reckon?

19. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      87 dB is not enough to cause permanent damage.

You're hypervigilant about sound exposure and you need to relax...

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I know. I didnt think it was loud enough or more importantly shrilling enough. But opinions welcome.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Following 3 weeks of Hell every single day yesterday I had a quiet day. If you've been following the Lenire threads you'll know I was using this device up until 3 weeks ago, I was exposed to a house panel alarm and kept using Lenire and subsequently my tinnitus has gotten significantly worse.

On Friday I switched from Venlafaxine to Mirtazapine. Saturday I went out with my family and Saturday night I sat quietly, away from the TV, just reading.

Yesterday, for the first time in 3 weeks my tinnitus was quiet up until about 8pm when it started to creep back in. I could still hear it faintly but it was nowhere near as bad as it has been. Frankly I have been suicidal these last 3 weeks with two lame attempts that I bottled out of.

I don't feel I slept well last night and today I'm back to high pitched and invasive. My resolve has crumbled instantly.

Could yesterday's near quiet be a sign of healing?

Was it anything to do with switching meds?

Was it anything to do with sitting in silence on Saturday night?

Or was it just a fluke?

Pre Lenire (8 weeks ago) I was starting to get a few quiet days... 2 in every 5 for instance and at one point I had 7 days straight. This was following my noise trauma in October last year.

Was yesterday's quiet day the first sign of some healing following my alarm exposure 3 weeks ago?

Thoughts welcome.

22. slc

slc Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Skip your GP and find an ENT or neurologist who will prescribe Clonazepam. I had pretty good success with it for two years. I then slowly stopped as my tinnitus had become better and I’ve gone back on it but it’s never been as effective. I found the best dosage was about 1.5 to 2 mg taken in the evening at about 9 PM and it will definitely help with sleep if that is a challenge. Good luck!

remember it is considered a very habituating drug. Although I have to say I had no problem tapering off of it other than my tinnitus would increase and then settle back down. Also I think it acts more as anti-anxiety and sedative then an anti-depressant. Also, don’t up the dosage. Some people take small amounts intermittently to avoid its addictive type properties . That’s ok. I found a regular nightly dose of 2 mg max helped reduce the tinnitus and greatly helped with sleep. (But avoid increasing beyond that.)

Stephan