Thought I Was Getting Better.

Discussion in 'Support' started by UKJon, Nov 17, 2015.

1. UKJon

UKJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged stress followed by bereavement
      I really thought I was getting better. Lately, I've actually been getting some silent spells at times whilst relaxing and deep breathing especially just before lights out.

Now I am panicking again. Although some of the original sound/s have receded, I'm now conscious of my T being more sensitive to other sounds especially when I'm out. There seems to be a period of some minutes when I come indoors when the ringing is louder before calming down again. In fact, I think that some indoor noises also 'ramp it up'.

Just when I though I was getting a handle on things, the goal posts move. I don't want to go back to where I was after having made some progress and I'm super worried that this is happening.

I do remember having spikes after being out many months ago but I don't know if it's yet more anxiety this time and I've just latched onto another obsession. Could things settle if I keep going out? I'm sure I'm not imagining it. I cannot stay in forever and overprotect my ears.

So far, it always calms eventually. If ears become over sensitive, can this be reversed in time by repeated exposure to normal levels of sound? I don't have H or any pain but months of anxious introspection and monitoring have made me hyper vigilant. When I'm out, I can't stop thinking about what I'll hear in the quiet on my return.

Some more positive words would be appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      My improvement hasn't been linear either. It seems to be good and bad days. When I have bad days, I try as hard as possible to not even contemplate that i'm going backwards, but just focus on that I have had good days, and that proves i am physically capable of hearing silence again--it's just a matter of getting all my ducks in a row at some point!

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

you're doing fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      You should look at your overall progress and not at individual spikes.

mine is fading slowely each month but still getting spikes from time to time but overall I am getting better.

look at the big picture.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      I was going to make this very same thread. I've had a handful of good days, though I can't tell if the amoxcillian has run its course and has helped my infection and healing is started or what. For most of today, it's been on/off, off for a very long time, on for small periods... until I got home. Then on, off, on. Not as loud and it's at the point where I'm starting accept that this is part of me.

• Like Like x 1
    6. sara
      Alone

sara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Yes it was the same for me as well.

It would get better for a week then again full on hissing ,whistling and ringing.
      I think its all part of getting better
      Keep holding on and stay positive

7. Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Hey bro I've been exactly where you are. I started coping very well. Started moving forward and handling T like a champ. I relapsed one day and fell to my knees worse than you could imagine.

A little insight for you. Ive done 1 tour in Iraq and thought that was the toughest shit I've been through in my life until I got T. It hit me like a brick wall twice. I didn't want to be the guy who took pills or used a crutch to live my life.

I started to realize I needed to stop being the tough guy everyday and take the options given to me. I take Xanax twice a day and I get my ass up and make myself get it together. Here I am 2 months later and I am me again. I still take the Xanax, but not for anxiety, but because it reduces my T. If I can pull through this you can too.

We got your back and we will make it through this!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hey Jon,

Like everyone else that has answered here, totally know how you feel. Been there too as well, on my second (or third?) backlash right now. I am happy that some sounds are getting better for you and that you have had silent spells, that is something not all of us are blessed with. When I get into these dips, I try to remember what I felt like when T first started, and I can see how different I think and act with T. I was on a breakdown at onset, now I feel a little anxious now and then but usually ok, but yes not perfectly calm or happy. I try to remember how I was deadly certain that I was unable to live with it, how I'd never stop hearing the noises, but I have had lots of days where I haven't payed attention to it. Or how I've accepted the fact that T is going to stay with me now. So even if you're worried and scared, try to look back from the very beginning and see how much you've changed since. It helps, remembering when you overcame the last dips/backlashes and that there is hope for you. You will get back to the good days and you will think about the T less and less, so don't worry. It will take time but you'll get there faster than you think, I promise!

Best,
      F

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      UKJon

UKJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged stress followed by bereavement
      Thanks so much for all the positive vibes. I do appreciate them enormously.

10. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Hello Jon,

I was doing fantastic until a week ago and hit a spike as well. -- I was listening to music on my computer but I find it hard to believe my little computer speakers could give me a spike.

Anyway, I just stay busy and was even at a chamber event last night and they turned on the loud hockey game. -- Normally, I would have used my ear plugs but I can't do that and network with people at the same time so I said f*&@ it and no additional spike from that hour of loudness. (of course, if it was a band or something I would have done the ear plugs).

If you can do something aerobic every other day like running or the stairmaster, that helps too (along with eating well).

Sincerely, John

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hang in their matey......lots of love glynis

12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Its the same for me too. Settles, sound becomes normal again for a day, two days, maybe three at best, then its just comes roaring back. After two years though I'm getting the hang of balancing the good and the not so good.

13. ShereeTemporary
      Cheerful

ShereeTemporary Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Hello, reading some of the responses here is really helpful . Just wanted to add that I have been having much similar symptoms, some days being "louder" others just more accepting of the horrid sounds.. there are times my ear will ring super loud and I lose all hearing for up to 15mins.
      Anyway I am glad I found this support group.