TinAway Trial in Melbourne, Australia 2017

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Neil McLachlan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Neil McLachlan

Neil McLachlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hi everyone

We started a trial of a new tinnitus treatment called TinAway in Melbourne in 2016.

Nearly 20 people participated in the trial and we were able to get positive results for about 1/2 the participants. Clearly this is not good enough, so we have taken what seemed to work and have designed a new program.

Two people are currently enjoying very positive results from our new program, and so we are looking for new participants to expand the trial.

If you have bothersome tinnitus and can travel to Melbourne (Australia) we welcome you to participate in the new trial. We need to meet up so I can collect some background information and give you a laptop to use at home with our software installed. The program runs for about 6 minutes and you can use it as often as you like, and keep using it for as long as it is helpful for you. We just need to know how often you are using it and whether it is helping.

Please email me if you are interested.

Many thanks.

Associate Professor Neil McLachlan
      mcln@unimelb.edu.au

• Like Like x 3
    2. Jason Goodwin
      Batty

Jason Goodwin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tapering off an SSRI
      Hi Neil,
      I have intrusive tinnitus and am interested in participating.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Neil McLachlan: Hi , I wish I were an Australian citizen.

I am glad to see that you got the fund for your clinical trials (when I went to the indiegogo.com site, your collect session was already closed).

I am also glad to see that the results are rather conclusive. However, it is weird : your current trial is not referred neither on your website, nor on the Melbourne university website, nor on a clinical trials registry platform.

Question: is your application designed for tonal or tonal-like tinnitus? I have got, like some of us on this forum a non tonal tinnitus.

I wish you the best for the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Hab
      Curious

Hab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Why does one need to travel to Melbourne if I may ask. It seems thst your trial is based around software, if that is the case, you could have access to a much larger group of participants from all over the world, and can then work out a way for reporting via many means of communication.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Tinaway sounds about as genuine as T-gone, T-eliminator, Tinnex...

I've saw previous threads on this from 2014, if it was successful then why in 2017 have we not heard about it? You would be multi-millionaires by now. Also there was a thread saying that Tinaway is not about reducing the volume but eliminating the tinnitus completely, when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is...

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      And that's why folks the tinnitus research community don't come here much...

Thank you OP. I hope you can get many participants in your trial :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    7. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Stupid post, damn..

• Agree Agree x 5
    8. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      And that's why folks, scams exist because they are feeded.

If somebody is coming here, advertising potential cures (see other threads where they talk about eliminating t completely and not reducing it) then why should they not be questioned?

If I was to come up with an invention to sell, offering huge benefits, I would expect the same.

And you have to admit, 'Tinaway' does not sound very convincing and is similar to other products offering miracles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Adam0309

Adam0309 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Very few researchers are so self critical. I have read so many papers where the claim is that some small fraction of people improve, and then the results are not replicable. I hate to pick on someone, but Azevedo's Campral paper is the one that springs to mind in this context. Lots of back patting and no results. Given that, its refreshing to see your comment Neil. Best of luck with the trial!

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Best of luck with the trial. I hope you will find some volunteers here!

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinaway stay away! Please.

12. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nobody is trying to sell anything. The OP is a tinnitus researcher offering a free trial. We need to encourage all the community involvement as possible with researchers. As a tinnitus talk member we need to be actively involved with the people learning and researching our condition.

I don't care what the product is called and frankly as an arm chair observer you don't deserve an opinion. What have you done to benefit tinnitus research? Being an internet google doctor on tinnitus does not qualify you in anything.

• Agree Agree x 5
    13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      You need to email the professor.

14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      This is NOT a scam. I took part in the study last year, and hope to take part in this tweaked version of the trial. I can guarantee that Neil's motives are to genuinely help those who are suffering with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      You've had tinnitus since 2016, unfortunately I've had it longer than you. Through my struggles I've wasted time and money on treatments promising relief and sooner or later the penny drops that we live in a cruel world where the tinnitus market will inevitably be prayed upon desperate sufferers. I deserve an opinion as much as any sufferer and for you to say I don't deserve an opinion is insulting from somebody who's had it since 2016.

Regardless I've never said this is a scam, I've merely questioned the OP. From my observations, they are trying to start a business of selling a product offering remission from tinnitus. If they claim to be able to 'cure chronic tinnitus' mentioned on their web pages then obviously I would want them to succeed. But anybody claiming to potentially cure chronic tinnitus then I will question these claims.

Regardless, do not come on here insulting me again for having an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It seems like sound therapy, despite I am extremely skeptical regarding these methods, I think it's worth a try because I suppose it has no side effects.

17. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Of course you deserve an opinion. And this is a forum that you are able to voice that no matter what! So please everyone, be courteous to one another's opinion. Just because someone has one that is different from yours, does not mean they have dont a right to voice that opinion on here.

This is a forum for everyone who is dealing with this affliction. We all have different experiences and come from different places and deal with this in different ways and are trying to cope the best way we can.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They say it's different from a typical masking therapy, that the purpose of it is to suppress tinnitus completely and eventually train the brain to switch it off. That's the claim anyway, I wish them the best.

• Like Like x 1
    19. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Neil McLachlan. Personally i disagree.. I think that a 50% reduction in your test group for their tinnitus is a truly wonderful result. Maybe it is not considered this in a clinical setting. But personally, i think in real-world terms, this is great! Also, there can be so many factors for someone's tinnitus. Unless you have all your patients that have gotten their tinnitus through one cause (i.e. they went to a concert and got tinnitus afterwards), I think its going to be hard to find one uniform patient population that will have a one size fits all solution.

How did your trial select its patients? Did all of them have the same source or their tinnitus, or was the inclusion criteria just that "they have to have tinnitus and that's it".

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Maybe we're reading his statement differently, but what I read is not that the T got reduced by 50%: it's that 50% of the patients reported an improvement. The definition of improvement is not provided by OP, so it must be some criteria they set for the study.
      It could be, for example, that 50% of the patients reported that their T reduced by 10% (in terms of loudness).

However, I do agree with you that a 50% reduction in T would be a massive deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      How can you measure a 10% reduction in tinnitus, tinnitus is too subjective that 10% would be considered inconclusive for me anyway. I'm curious about this company, can you provide any more information OP?

22. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Neil McLachlan
      I am near Melbourne and would like to participate.
      I will send you an email now.
      Sincerest thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    23. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I am sorry, I totally misread that. So let me amend that statement. That they saw a reduction in 50% of the patients is still great. Clearly the "positive results" is not really well defined, as that can literally mean anything. From a 5% improvement to a 100% improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It is probably defined in their study, but the OP hasn't disclosed the details here. Of course, knowing the details would be nice for us in here.

25. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Clearly they aren't here selling anything or else they wouldn't offer anyone to participate in the trial and would charge you a hefty fee to use it. We don't need that kind of negativity here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Neil McLachlan Do participants have to be in Melbourne? I’m in Brisbane and happy to pay to have anything to be shipped to me and ship back once finished - would like to be a part of the trial too!

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neil McLachlan

Neil McLachlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Hi Every-one

I can assure you we are not promising any miracle cures or trying to sell anything. We are taking small steps with pre-clinical trials with people in Melbourne because we want to be sure we have something genuine to offer before we go to a large trial or any sort of public release.

I have been contacted by some people who are keen to participate, and we are following up on logistics now. Any-one else in the Melbourne region who is interested in helping please contact me directly at mcln@unimelb.edu.au

Many thanks

Neil

• Like Like x 3
    28. Skulldrey
      Alone

Skulldrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MUSE opening for My Chemical Romance
      Neil,

Can't quite make it to Melbourne because of finances, but would love to be placed on your "If I'm desperate I'll call this guy" list. Intrusive tinnitus here that's gotten worse over time.

Thanks!

29. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Please for the love of god let this treatment work! Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks for all the people who put their efforts to find a cure for tinnitus.
      May God be with you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1