Tinnitus, 11 Years, Unknown Cause

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Olivia8642, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Olivia8642

Olivia8642 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone.
      I have had tinnitus ever since I was 7, so the past 11 years and I'm still not sure how it was caused.

It started after I had surgery for an appendicitis and woke up the next morning with it. I think it started in one ear and then went to the other ear, and now I have it in both.

I saw an ENT and had a hearing test and was told my hearing was normal for my age so I don't know whether it could be attributed to the general anaesthetic that was used.

Also, it may be do to a problem in the surgery where my throat started to close up and I had to be put in a medically-induced coma.

I was never given any treatment for it and no one has said anymore it's just a low-frequency buzz which really effects me when it's quiet to the extent I can't wear ear plugs as it makes the sound even worse.

What do you think is my underlying cause and how do you think I should manage this?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Olivia8642 ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      You have done really well having tinnitus for so long and it's tough getting it through no fault of your own.
      You might like low tone masking sounds like easyjet tinnius masker on utube but I have one that I really like and will try put it up on your thread.
      My advice is to follow your dreams and enjoy life to the full and never let your ears stop you being you.
      love glynis xxx

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      4 Hours of Rain on a Car Window | Sleep |...

you might want to lower the volume but I like it.
      4hr version

4. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      @Olivia8642 I only had this thing for just over 7 months. I think I should be asking YOU how you dealt with it for so long!!!

• Like Like x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.
      There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, acoustic neuroma tumor, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

It is sometimes hard to figure out what exactly caused our tinnitus. I still don't know for sure what exactly caused mine. I just got back on a flight a week before, and I had exposed to a faulty smoke alarm a month before, I never went to loud gigs, perhaps the day before my wife told me our mortgage rate would go up (stress? lol). So it is ??? for me what caused mine. But one night the loud scream just woke me up in the middle of sleep and then soon severe hyperacusis also joined in the misery.

If it is hard to find the exact cause, wasting too much energy in this can actually bring up more focus to T and the more we pay attention, the more likely our stress and anxiety will build up. So I had to use vigorous masking initially to stop the brain from reacting to the ringing. I also had to depend on drugs to help the brain function. That was my approach. Others may find doing some form of mindfulness meditation or CBT will help them. In general, distraction from T by going back to live our life as normally as possible will help us manage T better. Try being positive and giving it time will help to keep stress level down. Trying to accept the new normal and do whatever necessary to help us focus away from T will help. Reading success stories and learning some strategies from others will also help. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Wow @billie48, remarkable compilation of just "some" of the causes for tinnitus. Don't know if you caught it, but one woman just wrote that she successfully traced her tinnitus to HEART PROBLEMs. She's apparently now almost completely tinnitus free after nine years (IIRC). -- Thanks for the compilation of causes--I just bookmarked your post (for the good advice as well). -- Best!

7. Jenny Guo

Jenny Guo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Olivia,
      I’ve had tinnitus ever since I was 7 too and I’m 14 now and it’s still going. I think the main cause of mine was earwax buildup and I got that treated. After that, the noise was still there but it was quiet enough for me to ignore it for the next 6 years. But around a month ago, I woke up one night being completely conscious of the ringing. It’s also super high pitched so it’s really annoying. I listen to rain noises when I sleep to help mask out the noise. I can’t hear the ringing unless I’m in a silent room but once I focus on the noise it’s really bad. I’m also an over thinker and I get pretty bad anxiety because of this.
      Anyways I really hope your tinnitus gets better. Take care <3

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Hearing Loss induced tinnitus
      Any form of hearing loss can cause tinnitus

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/
      Usually it's sensori-neural hearing loss
      Ear wax removal can go wrong and cause hearing loss and tinnitus, however if ear wax removal is done correctly it can reverse the hearing blockage and abolish tinntius within weeks to months. Stadectomy's (middle ear surgery) can also reduce and abolish tinnitus consistently.

These are the only known causes that have ttinnitus without hearing loss
      TMD, Neck Jaw problems, Cervical tinnitus.
      the rest aren't confirmed, there is yet to see evidence that stress alone causes tinntius.
      These causes may also be linked to hearing loss sometimes interestingly enough.
      https://trainingandrehabilitation.com/association-tinnitus-neck-tmj/
      https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/cervical tinnitus.html
      https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/head-and-neck-injuries-cause-tinnitus-part-one/

That's Pusatile tinnitus, an unrelated vascular condition that has nothing to do with tinnitus of the auditory brain just has a similar name and noises in ears.
      https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/aging-pulsatile-tinnitus

Don't confuse Pusatile tinnitus with tinnitus. She had pusatile tinnitus I'm certain.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018