Tinnitus After J&J COVID-19 Vaccine — Wondering What to Do About a Booster Shot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JMD201, Oct 11, 2021.

1. JMD201

JMD201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss, much worse with J&J vaccine
      I've had low-grade tinnitus for years from hearing loss, but after my J&J vaccine it is significantly worse, much louder, and very bothersome. Now as there is talk about getting booster shots, I am not sure what to do. I certainly want to feel protected from COVID-19, but I hesitate because I don't want my tinnitus to get even worse.

Has anyone who has tinnitus gotten a booster and what was your experience?

Also, has anyone gotten any relief with Melatonin?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I had Pfizer.

Pfizer #1 caused a spike that lasted about 2 weeks and faded away.

Pfizer #2 I had no issues.

Pfizer booster so far (3 days) I have no issues.

Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. aura

aura Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Pfizer nr. 1 and 2 - no problems.

After the booster I had a spike that lasted for 2-3 weeks.

It started 2 days after the booster and it was pretty bad for about 3 days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Uh... Don’t get the booster?

5. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I did not notice any increased tinnitus from any of my 3 shots. I would go with the booster.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I didn't get any change in my tinnitus from the 2 Pfizer shots. I'm scheduled for the booster in a couple of days and will report the outcome.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I think this is worth consideration. Bottom line is the bolded sentence below. Who's to say Acyclovir wouldn't be better at preventing severe COVID-19 than booster shots.

Acyclovir for SARS-CoV-2: An Old Drug with a New Purpose

Abstract

Currently, remdesivir is the only Food and Drug Administration approved antiviral for COVID-19. Recent reports of viral mutations in the novel coronavirus are leading to a more infectious agent than at the beginning of the pandemic. Presented in this article are cases that were treated with an old drug, acyclovir. To date, 38 patients have received treatment with acyclovir. The following 4 cases highlight the benefits of acyclovir. 3 of these cases had severe pulmonary disease and 1 had splenomegaly. 1 of the 3 pulmonary cases had worsening pulmonary involvement after hospitalization during which remdesivir in conjunction with dexamethasone was used. Acyclovir has proven to be effective, safe and inexpensive in 29 patients. 9 patients are still under treatment. No adverse effects or death have been observed with this treatment thus far. Further studies comparing acyclovir to remdesivir are needed to validate benefits from acyclovir for SARS-CoV-2 infection.​

8. racedy

racedy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and possibly noise over time
      mRNA vaccines are not ototoxic... any spike might be due to inflammation, which should subside shortly. Coronavirus can cause tinnitus, so I would definitely get a booster.

Pfizer has the lowest dose (30 mcg of mRNA), so you might want to try that. Moderna's booster is 50 mcg mRNA.

I've had 2 Pfizers and the Moderna booster and none of them affected my tinnitus.

I'm sure you'll be fine whichever you choose!

• Like Like x 1
    9. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      But we do not know if it will subside for the more than 12,000 people that have developed tinnitus after taking the vax. It would be more than a miracle!

Thousands blame COVID-19 vaccine for hearing problems (abc15.com)

From CDC VAERS website:

The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) Results Form (cdc.gov)

Screenshot (1273)_LI.jpg

In my opinion one person getting tinnitus is horrible.
      I do not wish this on anyone.
      We cannot ignore this.
      Not on this forum.

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    10. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      29 patients? We will need a lot more information.

11. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      This number is vastly underrepresented. But it's still a minority so no one cares.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I agree. Only between 1% and 10% report vaccine adverse reactions.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      My life may be indirectly ruined by this. No one told me that my ringing was vaccine related until months after now every ENT/ hearing place I go harps to me that they've noticed increased anecdotal reports of ringing etc. Even my ophthalmologist knew about this. I got my first dose in April and my second in May. It wasn't until end of July where all of a sudden doctors and clinicians started connecting the dots. Absolutely unreal.

• Hug Hug x 4
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Which most likely will not be forthcoming, since Acyclovir is a very inexpensive. There's no profit motive to seek more information on its efficacy in preventing severe COVID-19.

• Like Like x 1
    15. racedy

racedy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and possibly noise over time
      Oh jeez. I revise my recommendation to @JMD201, maybe consult a doctor before boostering. My ENT assured me it wasn't ototoxic, because I was getting an earache checked out @ Kaiser right before I got my Moderna booster. I was more afraid of myocarditis to be honest, or possibly getting infected and then spreading it to my mom and elderly relatives and killing off a whole generation of my family -- for once, tinnitus wasn't even a concern! FWIW, the risk is still 0.006% that you would have any tinnitus related effects (based on the # of VAERS complaints / total # of vaccinated people lumped together) and there is always possibility that the virus could worsen it. But, I do understand that ANY risk, no matter how low, is something to consider when it comes to the dreaded tinnitus.

Perhaps @JMD201 there is a way you can get titers done to check your antibodies if you want to make the decision based on some indicator of your current level of protection?

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So sorry that this happened to you.

Hopefully it will go away.

Take extra care of your ears from here on and try to keep your calm.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      Yea I'm still pro-vaccine there's not doubt that the vaccine works and moreover there's a chance of COVID-19 running havoc on the auditory system as well. And in the grand scheme of things I'm just one person, my countries collective health is more important than little me. It's just no one is honest with each other. There are legitimate side effects but of course they only effect a small minority, albeit underreported, but for that minority it can translate into life alternating states. Literally call up your local ENT or especially a *research institution* and ask about the increase in vestibular and auditory issues ostensibly related to the vaccine roll outs.

The irony isn't lost on me at all I signed up first day my age was available and lobbied all my loved ones to get it. They are all fine it's just me who's suffered.
      Sadly I had an acoustic trauma trying to quell the ringing and my life is probably forever altered. I think the vaccine gave me sound sensitivity in retrospect because the sound that damaged me wasn't loud at all and moreover there's small episodes that in hindsight seem super odd and I only remember them because of the pretext of the being my first time in the new normal. Just two anecdotes that I'm not saying are scientific in any real sense but for a condition that science is respectfully MIA currently. There's an even smaller number of VAERS reports with respect to hyperacusis.

All of these included the ringing happened a week after the second dose, my first dose was fine with no issues at all. My girlfriend and I used to go on walks, post vaccine I remember I finally took off my mask for these walks and just remember the bike breaks being so bothersome. Another one is the first restaurant (PF Changs in case anyone is curious) we went to, this was my first time eating since April 2020, a waitress dropped some plates and it really felt so loud and no one else in the whole restaurant batted an eye including people closer in proximity to the plate crashing.

A month later I still had the ringing going read that if you play a tone similar to your tinnitus it alleviates it for a while. Played a 10 second high pitch from my phone no headphones and it obliterated my ears (distortions, more ringing and worst of all pain hyperacusis) and probably my life. It's so absurd I'm still in denial about it as I approach 6 months. Life happens where there is sound as I look forward towards my cherished holidays and realize I can't go to them and the musical tones that carry such warm memories and nostalgia sound different it plunges me into darkness.

• Hug Hug x 4
    18. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      So sorry to read this. The Pfizer vaccine made my moderate tinnitus quite severe. I have a mild form of hyperacusis too and usually do not go out without a pair of earplugs on, and often also with a pair of low-profile headphone-lookalike earmuffs. I am still debating with myself whether to get a booster (or perhaps wait a bit until a tweaked booster comes in the late spring against the Omicron variant). I still believe that vaccines work and help, but also realize that for people like us, they are quite likely to inflict more harm. COVID-19 itself could likely inflict even more damage, though. My problem is that the university I teach in has imposed a vaccine mandate (and will likely impose a booster mandate at some point in the winter/spring).

My tinnitus never returned back to its pre-vaccine level, but I also made several other mistakes after the jab - used for nearly 2 weeks an antibiotic ointment for a wound on my finger, etc. that could have nullified any post-vaccine improvement. I had a horrible spike after the second Pfizer dose, but, thankfully, it subsided after about two days.

From what I've read so far on this forum, most people who got a booster haven't had a lasting spike, but there were a few concerning reports too.

19. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Just recently got the Pfizer first jab. Experienced quite a ratcheting up of my tinnitus which had been very low for quite a while. Also noticed some pulsatile tinnitus which I have not experienced for years.

I've decided not to risk taking a second dose never mind a booster.

I'm hoping this Omicron variant is mild and will replace Delta giving us an endpoint to look forward to next year. From my reading most pandemics last around 2 years.