Tinnitus After Using Noise-Cancelling Headphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by subsonik, May 2, 2018.

1. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      BOSE are most effective at cancelling noise. That may be it. My Sennheisers let in more environment sound... hence reducing the need for my brain to “turn up the volume”.

2. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So you are saying Bose are more likely to cause or increase tinnitus? My brother-in-law chose Sennheiser because he believes (based on various reviews) that they do less to enhance the music. He said he wanted his music less filtered, so he chose Sennheiser. I have compared the two, and I do like the Bose sound and ear-fit better (not sure about the sound-reduction ability).

I have yet to see any scientific data or any other professional indication that noise canceling technology causes or enhances tinnitus (over and above any standard headphones used with loud music or for extended periods of time). I leave in 1/2 hour for my appointment with a neurotologist. I'll report back.

3. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well, I had my appointment with the neurotologist, and his answer was that noise canceling headphones, when used at a reasonable volume, neither cause or enhance tinnitus. If anyone has a follow-up question for me, by all means ask, but I'm done with the issue.

• Like Like x 1
    4. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I have another question for you. When you put on noise-canceling headphones - the pressure drop is felt. And the plastic, from which the surface of the headphones is made, has a very high sound conductivity.

Tonight I put on noise-canceling headphones to work with sawing out of the boards.

But there was an evening and there were mosquitoes on the street, brushing off a mosquito, I accidentally hit my hand on the right side of the earpiece covering the ear, the sound seemed very unpleasant, amplified, and I felt a slight push of pressure in my ear.

Do you think this could lead to barotrauma or acoustic ear damage?
      Before, I would not have paid attention to such a case, but now every little thing can cause trouble.

I need to know your opinion or personal experience.

Thank you

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      100% not. This has happened to me many times. Whilst not pleasant, it has never caused any lasting problems

• Genius Genius x 1
    6. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      what's the brand of your headphones?

7. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just to confirm the guy who died used boss noise cancellation headphones???????

8. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Count me in I also gets tinnitus from headphones, at lower volume, I thought lower volume is safe, as per the guidelines, but I forget to use my common senses.

9. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is same happens to me, I forget to notice the duration and just takes care of the volume level.

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Some people with noise induced tinnitus are not affected by headphone use. If you are one of these people that's fine but it's something I don't advise anyone to do if their tinnitus, was caused by loud noise.

11. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      same here bro.

12. bendruitt

bendruitt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jetski or BOSE QC35, can't be sure!?
      I just wanted to add that I've used Bose QC35s since mid 2015 and now have low grade tinnitus that sounds EXACTLY like the background sound of the QC35s - that high frequency low level hissing sound. Coincidence!? Be careful out there!

• Useful Useful x 1
    13. textmarker

textmarker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow
      I've bought a Sony mdr100 1 month ago. . I knew my left ear is a bit weaker (high frequencies are not noticed compared to the other ear) then my right but I never had tinnitus. Now after using that headphone for 3 weeks I have a constant eee in that ear and its already lasting for 1 week :( I think there should be made a reasearch regarding NC headphones and tinnitus.

14. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What brand headphones do you use?

15. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      I was using the Bose soundlink around ear wireless headphones II. They're not noise cancelling, if they were I wouldn't have had to turn them up so loud.

16. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For how many hours per day did you use it, and for how many days, did you feel any pain before getting tinnitus while using headphones?

17. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      This was a one time acoustic trauma. One day I listened too loud for like 5 hours. Didn't notice any pain during, just ringing the second I took them off.

18. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For how many hours you used to listen to headphones? And at what percentage of volume?

19. Jatin Gupta

Jatin Gupta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Cancelling Headphones
      Hi Rohit,
      Are you still facing the issue? Could we please connect, I'm very confused and in need of guidance.

20. textmarker

textmarker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow
      Quoting Myself. Used the NC for 2 days and have increased tinnitus again. Def a trigger for me

21. Rafael M

Rafael M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, noisy neighbour
      Hi everyone!

I'm Spanish, and I have T before use headphones with NC. My otolaryngologist recomended me that I use headphones for isn't hear T. Then, I thought have a good headphones it could be good for me (Sony WH-1000XM3B). A month after my T It was multiplicated by 10. I was very worry and stressed because my T was very high. It could be because to use the headphones or use headphones with NC, but I think that the people with T we spend a lot of time with music because we dont want hear our T. With new headphones it is possible we spend a lot time with them.
      I will never use headphones in my life. I'm sure for this. My T has down now. I'm no using headphones. Never!

22. michaelnyorks

michaelnyorks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sony Headset WH-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Canceling Stereo
      I recently bought the Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Canceling Stereo Headset
      I have never suffered from tinnitus before.
      Almost straight away they caused pressure and then headaches.
      I persevered for a while which was foolish in hindsight and after a couple of goes (of an hour or so, normal volume for podcasts) the tinnitus started and has lasted a month now.

23. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @michaelnyorks NC headphones, don't kid yourself.

'There had been some limited success with cumbersome devices like MEDUSA (Mob Excess Deterrent Using Silent Audio) and LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device), designed to cause excruciating ear pain to disperse mobs'

24. Brenda Wood

Brenda Wood Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bose noise cancelling headphones
      My Bose wireless noise cancelling headphones definately caused my tinnitus. I'd love to know if any other brand is involved... I've never had tinnitus before except after 1 concert 40 years ago. Now it's 24/7 constantly squeeling.
      Not happy...