Tinnitus After Using Noise-Cancelling Headphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by subsonik, May 2, 2018.

1. subsonik

subsonik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!

I recently purchased some noise-cancelling headphones and although I love them, I think they may have given me tinnitus. :(

It became noticeable around two weeks ago, when I first purchased the headphones. I may have turned them up a little loud when I first got them, but nothing crazy, and never for hours on end.

I would describe the tinnitus as a very high frequency "eeee" sound, maybe in the 16-17khz range, and it seems pretty consistent in form and volume throughout the day. It sounds pretty much like the noise CRT monitors used to make. I've had bouts of tinnitus before in my life, mainly the typical ringing after being exposed to loud music for too long, but it has always died down after a few hours minutes/hours/days. This, however, doesn't seem to be fading.

The headphones form a pretty good seal when they're on my head, when taking them off, I can feel the suction on my eardrums. They also make my ears pretty warm when using them for more than 10-15 minutes, but nothing too uncomfortable, especially if I lift them off my ears for a few seconds every now and then.

I've used the new headphones a few times in the past week, since I really started noticing the tinnitus, but never for more than 30-40 mins, and always at very low volumes, yet the tinnitus persists.

I love these headphones and don't want to send them back, they sound amazing and being wireless+ANC, they're so convenient in noisy offices/commutes, but I will return them if there's a risk they could be damaging my hearing.

I've used headphones almost all my life, since I was around 10-12. These days, regularly using them for 4-6 hours per weekday while coding. Previous headphones never gave me any (noticeable) issues.

Any ideas, anyone? Maybe my ears just need time to acclimatise? Maybe the pressure/heat is the cause?

Thanks! :)

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I would lay off the headphones. They can annoy your tinnitus and possibly down the line increase the volume/intensity of your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had tinnitus for over two years and I wouldn't use headphones, not even at low volume.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I do "code" also so I have to have something also. I use the AfterShokz bone conducting ones.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I suspect you've built up some hearing damage over the years with your listening habits, and the last "turned them up a little loud" is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'd give your ears a good rest for a while, and consult with a doctor so you can do a hearing test and have a baseline on your hearing.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
    7. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This is an issue I'm currently wrestling with. I've had fairly mild tinnitus for many years now, and I cannot say whether the headphones, other noise factors, or just perception is the cause (e.g., the general silence, other than music, might be making me notice my tinnitus more). I, too, don't want to give up and headphones. I listen to classical music at very low volumes. Also, I've been using in-ear (noise isolation) earphones (Etymotic) for many years with no issues. People here seem to say don't use them at all, but there doesn't seem to be any support for such a Draconian approach. I had a hearing test about five or so years ago (after a bout with vertigo), so I'm thinking another hearing test is in order. I assume, but do not know if, it measured my tinnitus at the time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      I would also lay off the headphones if I were you. I received Bose NC headphones for Christmas and was gifted with tinnitus 2.5 weeks later. Maybe it's coincidence, but I wouldn't risk it.

I'm near 3.5 months in and still have 24/7 tinnitus. I still get the odd feeling in my ear, whether it's warmth or a dull ache. And of course the high freq pulsing sound along with a constant lower freq sound.

9. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Do you think you might have used them a lot and/or improperly (loud or particularly harsh music)?

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You have tinnitus because of hearing loss from constantly exposing your self to loud music and headphones.

The local ENT 0-8000z audiogram is not at all effective for detecting most forms of mild hearing loss.

Take good care of your hearing from now on. Meaning no headphones for a while and maybe it will go away.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In my opinion, no. I listened to podcasts at a low volume for maybe an hour a day.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      subsonik

subsonik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow, thanks for all of the great replies! :D

After reading your replies and doing a little more research online, it seems that the overwhelming consensus is to drop all headphones altogether, at least for a few more weeks to a month.

I'll be honest, it wasn't the advice I was hoping for. Music has been a big part of my life since I was young and has helped get me through some hard times. Not being able to use headphones is going to kill a good chunk of enjoyment from my life, and that really sucks.

But in a choice between healthy(-ish) hearing and no further worsening of this incessant ringing sound, and the enjoyment of music, I guess there's only one option. :(

Thanks again. :)

• Like Like x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      subsonik

subsonik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the advice but realistically speaking, I probably will use headphones again in the future, after letting my ears heal a bit first.

I've used non-ANC headphones for a LONG time before now and never had any issues, probably because of my brain becoming habituated to the old T sound (?).

I only have one life and a finite time on this planet, I'm going to do the things that bring me joy, otherwise, what's the point. But of course, I will have to be a lot more careful from here on out. And at least now, I'm a lot more aware of what the dangers are, and apparently what flares up my T.

15. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand how you feel and I hope that when you resume using headphones all goes well for you. However, you are new to tinnitus and I don't think you know how debilitating this condition can be when it is severe. It can be ruthless and very unforgiving. I speak from many years experience.

I wish you well.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's not the consensus of the doctors I've talked to. If you want professional advice, talk to professionals. Each situation is unique.

17. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      I've been using them the whole time I've had T. I keep them at a comfortable volume, and don't see how that causes more damage the other louder sounds I regularly experience.

I think headphones are fine as long as you keep the volume in moderation.

18. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I have Sony MDR1000x NC headphones. Been using them last year or so. Mainly just to block out noise when I go to work and during flights. I usually don't have anything playing, and they have not made my T worse. I think it could be a number of factor playing in, as we all different your ears might be more sensitive to NC.

19. Jack Hunter

Jack Hunter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 May 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise cancelling headphones at normal volume
      I suspect the noise cancelling caused my sudden Tinnitus last week and that of others posting here. I wonder if this is because noise cancelling generates noise to cancel background sound. I notice that all those posting here had Bose headphones.

I have had the 'eeee' that @subsonik described for about 1 week and it's not going away. The only thing that could have brought this on during this period is quite heavy use of my QuietComfort headphones at normal volumes (in quiet surroundings). But at low volumes, how could damage have been done? Anybody else suspicious? There are plenty of noise cancelling models by all the big firms, but everybody here appears to have been hit after using Bose, including @John Smythe and the young man that killed himself, reported by @Equalizer

20. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      I thought I was listening at a safe volume when I gave myself T. Turns out a volume that is safe for one hour can be unsafe when listening for say 5 hours. Sounds like you did yourself in with duration as opposed to volume, just like me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm in the process of finding an audiologist through my internist. everyone
      You have to factor in the popularity of Bose. If there is an issue, Bose users necessarily would be affected more.

I wouldn't be quick to damn NC technology or vindicate it either. There's some anecdotal evidence, but nothing I've heard that would convince me one way or another.

Also I note that if I do have a problem it would be in conjunction with wireless headphones. Any issue there with the wireless transmission being beamed (for lack of a better word) at my head? I had used wired NC headphones for years with no problems (though not as often as my recent wireless use).

Finally, I have seen numerous references to "audiologists" here and elsewhere at this site. My doctor e-mailed me that tinnitus is best be evaluated by a "neurotologist".

22. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Used headphones for several months with volume at 5%. Still got tinnitus. Some ears just aren't so tough. Welcome to that group. I'm right there with you.

Just use regular speakers at home. Out on the go try whipping out a puzzle book or drawing instead of listening to music.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      After seeing an audiologist and having a hearing exam, my preliminary conclusion is the text highlighted in red above. I see the main doctor - an otologist/neurotologist - on Tuesday.

I've frequently seen tinnitus defined as the perception of noise in the ear. That doesn't make it less real, of course, but I'm guessing - I'm certainly no tinnitus expert - a distinction needs to be drawn between noise-canceling headphones ("NCHs") making one's tinnitus worse (in the sense of causing hearing or inner ear damage) and NCHs altering your perception of your existing tinnitus because of the reduction of ambient noise. One might say it effectively is the same (i.e., heightened perception of existing tinnitus is the same as making it worse). I wouldn't argue with that view. But my primary concern is avoiding damage to my ears. If I feel that isn't the case, then I think it will be easier for me to deal with the perception my tinnitus is worse. I found it interesting that the audiologist said I would be better off using my NCHs with music (at reasonable levels, of course) because that would help mitigate my tendency to focus on my tinnitus.

Here's an interesting study indicating silence can, in effect, cause tinnitus - https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/25e9/235a247155cb3a9f38bd1b4240bffcfb6863.pdf

24. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This is a recommendation that was common to the professionals I've consulted with. It made sense to me and I've been following that advice for a couple of years now.

25. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I probably gave myself a double (or even triple) whammy by also (1) using my NCH at work to block a low rumbling noise in the ventilation system and (2) using my Etymotic earplugs immediately when I got home, then switching at some point to the NCH, then going to bed with foam earplugs. I also use Eytmotic in-ear earphones (with low-level music) outside constantly. (I did a pretty good job sealing myself off from the world . . . all because of the howler monkeys that live downstairs and can be quite obnoxious at times!)

The Eytmotic in-ear earphones I think help protect my ears from loud city noises (especially the subway), but the earplugs and NCH at home likely were too much silence for my ears. I find noisy neighbors - even stuff most people ignore or hardly notice (like my wife) - irritating. I feel like it intrudes on my space, so the earplugs and NCH were a method to help prevent me from hearing even that initial sound that would upset me psychologically. Lately, I've saved the at-home NCH and earplug use for situations when I need the silence (not as a preemptive measure). The NCH at work were unnecessary. I think I was incorrectly assuming I needed them because of the rumbling noise. I now have a different, quieter office, so that problem is over.

26. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      How will the members who are against headphone use get on with new treatments that require you to use them?

27. housemzk

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been wondering this myself. Last time I used in-ear headphones for masking I had a painful shock sensation in my left ear that haunts me to this day.

28. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      They don't but they take the ear bud thing too far sometimes due to fear which I TOTALLY understand. Some of the new treatments coming out also do not require long exposure. Just my 2 cents and I know its controversial to say some may overreact to the ear bud thing.

29. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      Dude, i am a webdeveloper too got while watching udmey tutorial, used headphones at lower volume, but for longer hours,

30. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Going through the same thing here.

I used to think: you know, whatever happens with my back, my eyes, my neck, my health in general... as long as I have my music and my Sennheisers in the retirement home, I will be a happy man.

Never thought I’d lose that privilege at 37 :-(

It’s hard... but I follow Michael Leigh’s advice and laid off headphones. I play music more often through my bluetooth speaker and surround system.

But commuting and working (IT) has become boring and hard.