Tinnitus and Ear Infection Paranoia

Discussion in 'Support' started by chaLLas, Nov 29, 2018.

1. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      Since my tinnitus became a multi tone experience, I am trying to avoid anything that might make it worse.

That's especially moderate to loud noises, stress and getting an ear infection.

I am getting really paranoid about the ear infection thing. I am always having a bottle of hand disinfectant with me and use it every time before I put my hands anywhere near my ears. I clean my earmuffs and earplugs before every use. I always fear that bacteria comes in through my ears from the outside and cause an infection.

But can this really happen if your eardrum is OK? I mean, there must be bacteria getting in our ears all day long, wouldn't we all have ear infections much more often just like colds? Or do ear infections only start from the nose/tubes or whatever canal inside the head? What are your experiences? (If you can even tell how your ear infection started...)

I asked my ENT but he could not give a clear answer.

I have only had one ear infection in my entire life when I was very young. But well, I also never plugged my ears before or put my hands/fingers on my ear for protection and bring in bacteria...

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Something similar happens to me. My father had an infection a few months ago and lost a lot of hearing, although it was only temporary. He had a sudden loss in one ear years ago.

I use silicone plugs to reduce the moderate traffic noise at work, and I try to put them in boiling water every day. Like you, I use a lot of alcohol for my hands.

• Like Like x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There are outer ear infections, middle ear infections, and inner ear infections. There isn't much you can do to prevent them, other than your usual clean hygiene.

Signs of infection are often visible with an otoscope. I bought one for this purpose and it has helped shorten the time to get to a doctor.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been doing the same thing before handling earplugs. My worry is that the disinfectant might contain ototoxic chemicals. I have no idea whether or not it does. I try to at least wipe the disinfectant from my hands, or better yet, rinse my hands after I apply the disinfectant...
      Hopefully it can't and won't...

• Like Like x 1
    5. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I bought a disinfectant spray for my ear plugs, I probably wear them on average half an hour every day, and I clean them once a week, mostly on a day where i dont use them the next two days or whatever so that they can dry. The last time I did not do that and put my ear plugs in while they were still a bit moist from the disinfectant, my ears started getting a bit painful the next day and my ear canal was also swollen. Thank god it went away, but that did teach me to not do that anymore and at least let them dry a day before plugging them in.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      Thank you for your replies. I will just keep using desinfection for my hands and keeping my earplugs clean as good as I can. Paranoia already settled a bit.