Tinnitus and Ischemic Changes with White Matter Hyperintensities, Cerebral Volume Loss

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CricketsCull, Mar 25, 2021.

1. CricketsCull

CricketsCull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      It's March 2021. Back in October 2020, I started getting pretty noticeable tinnitus. At first, it would come and go abruptly, but now it's pretty constant. It's very high-pitched, non-pulsatile, and it's weird, but sometimes the frequency seems so high that it feels like the base of my skull is kind of tingling. Some days are better than others. Since October, I've also noticed that I've gotten a few headaches that usually arrive while I sleep and seem to be centered at the base of my skull.

Concerned, I checked Dr Google. I also found this site. I tried to make an appointment with an ENT, but none were available until the end of August in my area (a city of about two million). So, I made an appointment with my primary care doctor. He ordered a brain MRI.

I just got the results today. Turns out, I have multiple "ischemia changes" with white matter hyperintensities. The MRI also found that I have mild generalized cerebral volume loss that's remarkable for my age. I'm 49, male. I'm in good shape (actually wrote a bestselling book on fitness). I eat clean. Never smoked. No drugs ever. The only thing that I can think of that may have caused any of this is a quad accident back in 2008 which I thought only injured my arm and neck (was never treated). And I had a lot of childhood trauma/stress which I've read can be associated with neurological issues later in life (yes, I've gotten lots of counseling, support groups, etc for that).

I'm furiously googling what all of the results mean while awaiting my appointment with the neurologist. This is definitely not an area of expertise for me.

So, if any of you have any insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

2. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Hey Man, sorry to hear about your problems. WMA (white matter abnormalities/hypersensitivities) can be normal but are unusual in people under 60 years old. Generally, as we age, most people will develop WMA. I have been told that migraines can also cause them. I am wondering if maybe what you are experiencing is migraines and that might be causing the tinnitus as well. Migraines are much more common than I first believed and do not just mean severe headaches. If I’m not mistaken I think I read that most migraines actually don’t even result in severe headaches but are accompanied by a bunch of other symptoms.

Hopefully your neuro can give you some piece of mind that it’s nothing sinister.

By the way, have you ever practiced Wim Hof breathing or anything similar?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CricketsCull

CricketsCull Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      Thanks Lukee. No, I've never practiced Wim Hof or anything like that. I've done different forms of meditation over the years but nothing that involves Wim Hof type of breathing.

Ya, I don't know if the headaches are migraines. I used to get severe headaches from the time I was about 10 until my early 20's. They were absolutely awful. They were migraines for sure. I'd get nauseous and couldn't stand light. In some cases, I couldn't even handle having clothes on. That period of time was also the time of the most severe stress I've experienced in my life. The headaches I've had over the last few months are nothing like that. Just dull pain.

I really appreciate your reply. Thank you! Hopefully, the neurologist will explain it all away as nothing to worry about. That would be great. :)

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Ischemic literally means lack of oxygen. So neurons have died. I'd say those headaches were a prelude to vasospasm and basically mini strokes.

Sounds honestly pretty serious but there is medication for cerebral bloodflow.

5. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      I hope everything will go alright for @CricketsCull. As @Matchbox says, there are treatments if that is the case. It could also be caused by your accident and/or vitamins, supplements or medications. Keep us informed.

@Matchbox ironically I just posted in the Vasobral thread about treating tinnitus of ischemic origin with that drug. Please have a read and see what you think.