Tinnitus and Neuropathic Pain

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Zok, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      Does anyone with Tinnitus have neuropathic pain as well? For me, a month after tinnitus had developed (noise exposure), I started to have (slight - and it then has incresed) possibly "Neuropathic Pain" so I think that these two things migh be connected if not the same type of disorder.

Maybe tied to slow dead mitohondria removal so there is abnormality in some ion pups and therefore there is super exicability of the peripherial nerves, and this might lead to noise generation and abnomal sound amplifying (IMHO).

A related link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17956770

So it would be helpful to know if significant percentage people with Tinnitus have neuropathic pain as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Neuropathic Pain. Where?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I have had pain far longer than tinnitus.
      It is really coincidental. They aren't related at all.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have neuropathic pain in trigeminal nerve.

@Red. Where do you have the pain? Anything worked?

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Oh, I'm sorry. That is what I have. I do not know. Had it almost 3 years now. Have my up's and down's. I always get too discouraged to find a breakthrough.

I predict mri's in your future, though.

6. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Me too.
      Mine neuropathic pain started after a jaw surgery... I feel it in the face and head.

7. noitseuq

noitseuq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Right 2006. Left 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      How's your bite?

8. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I got noise induced tinnitus 2 years ago, it also triggered hyperacusis and some hearing loss. Shortly after I developed neuropathic pain (trigeminal nerve) which has since gotten worse. I am sure there's a link between the two.

9. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably vestibular neuritis in summer 1999
      Are you sure that there aren't vascular conflict of eight or seven nerve? They are a possible cause (high ratio) of both problems

• Like Like x 1
    10. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      No, no vascular issues. I had an angiography and an mri to check for vascular issues/acoustic neuroma, both normal.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have vascular conflicts as ẃell on MRI. The same problem and cause as you, and similar timing as well.

questions:
      Does it help you when you rinse you mouth with a lot of toothpaste, or alchololic drints untill it starts to numb. this is something that helps me, but i need to repeat that every hour or so.

Did you try hbo threatments, or drugs such as
      gabapentine, pregabaline .

12. cicou
      Wishful

cicou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not clear but hearing loss is probably one of the causes
      Hi,
      I do not know if it is tied to a neuropathic pain but since I had T three years ago I have mild ear and jaw pain.
      I do not feel it at all time and it is more bothersome than painful but I always wondered why I had this kind of feeling along with my T.

13. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Tinnitus and neuropathic pain share a common neural substrate in the form of specific brain connectivity and microstate profiles
      Author links open overlay panelSvenVannesteaWing TingToaDirkDe Ridderb
      https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnpbp.2018.08.015Get rights and content

Highlights
      Similarities between patients with tinnitus and neuropathic pain.
      Temporally independent networks characterize tinnitus and pain patients
      Other temporally independent functional modes are independent of tinnitus or pain.

Abstract

Tinnitus and neuropathic pain share similar pathophysiological, clinical, and treatment characteristics. In this EEG study, a group of tinnitus (n = 100) and neuropathic pain (n = 100) patients are compared to each other and to a healthy control group (n = 100). Spectral analysis demonstrates gamma band activity within the primary auditory and somatosensory cortices in patients with tinnitus and neuropathic pain, respectively. A conjunction analysis further demonstrates an overlap of tinnitus and pain related activity in the anterior and posterior cingulate cortex as well as in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex in comparison to healthy controls. Further analysis reveals that similar states characterize tinnitus and neuropathic pain patients, two of which differ from the healthy group and two of which are shared. Both pain and tinnitus patients spend half of the time in one specific microstate. Seed-based functional connectivity with the source within the predominant microstate shows delta, alpha1, and gamma lagged phase synchronization overlap with multiple brain areas between pain and tinnitus. These data suggest that auditory and somatosensory phantom perceptions share an overlapping brain network with common activation and connectivity patterns and are differentiated by specific sensory cortex gamma activation.

Keywords

Neuropathic Pain Tinnitus Temporal nodes Conjunction Microstates Cingulate

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278584618302859

14. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Can a Trigeminal Nerve Block do something for good? Or could make things worse??